Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/7/2020 7:17:21 PM EDT
Paperwork pending to SBS my 870, original plan was to cut to 12" and retap for chokes. Now I'm thinking about saving the money, cutting it myself and leaving it cylinder bore(can always thread if I change my mind again).

Who here has bothered with chokes for a shorty, and was it worth it?
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:40:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Norinco982lover] [#1]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 7:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks...really don't know what I want to use it for other than "because I want one".

The idea I've always had kept choke tubes so I'll probably spend the money.

Next project will be a 10" SXS.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 8:13:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Definitely.  How else are you going to get those tight patterns on your turkey blaster?

DSC_5312-Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Turkey SBS by FredMan, on Flickr

Gobbler Place of Kill 20190428 by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 9:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Just make sure it's done by someone that knows what they're doing. I had a Super Shorty cut for chokes, and had to shop around to find someone that would touch it. Place I used had a decent reputation online, and claimed to have done it before. They ended up butchering it. The chokes were not flush and not square with the bore. That said, it's a range toy, so it's not the end of the world, but I was not happy.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:42:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:43:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Norinco982lover:
Who was it? Most of us use guncat aka rose action sports
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NAM:
Just make sure it's done by someone that knows what they're doing. I had a Super Shorty cut for chokes, and had to shop around to find someone that would touch it. Place I used had a decent reputation online, and claimed to have done it before. They ended up butchering it. The chokes were not flush and not square with the bore. That said, it's a range toy, so it's not the end of the world, but I was not happy.
This is who I've talked with about the work.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 12:52:05 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
He did my 870. I’m happy and would do again!
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:44:16 AM EDT
[#8]
I did it to my Mossberg SBS. Totally worth the versatility. It's probably my favorite gun.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:
He did my 870. I'm happy and would do again!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Donut777donut:

He did my 870. I'm happy and would do again!
Rose action sports did mine as well. It's flawless.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:36:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By shack357:

This is who I've talked with about the work.
View Quote
Look no further.  You won't find better.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:09:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Many of us put together SBS because of the cool factor. Adding chokes makes them more cool.
I do use one of my SBS as part of my home protection lineup (the 870 Marine shown below). I like to use a particular #4 buckshot load so I did some pattern testing with different chokes in that gun. Even at the shorter distances I would experience inside my house, going to an improved cylinder choke did make a big difference.
And sidenote, Guncat (Rose Action Sports) installed the choke in that Marine barrel. I found a very good local gunsmith that did the other 870 pictured.

Link Posted: 2/8/2020 1:49:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By yamadog35:
Many of us put together SBS because of the cool factor. Adding chokes makes them more cool.
I do use one of my SBS as part of my home protection lineup (the 870 Marine shown below). I like to use a particular #4 buckshot load so I did some pattern testing with different chokes in that gun. Even at the shorter distances I would experience inside my house, going to an improved cylinder choke did make a big difference.
And sidenote, Guncat (Rose Action Sports) installed the choke in that Marine barrel. I found a very good local gunsmith that did the other 870 pictured.

https://i.imgur.com/jGioo3i.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ckj6woo.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Zi6Dtov.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/yURuxxG.jpg
View Quote
Top picture is what I'm going for. Keeping factory furniture and vent rib barrel though, planning to duracoat in something sinilar to the marine look.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:08:31 PM EDT
[#13]
GunCat did mine as he's local. Figured I'd do them while he had it. Have yet to test it for groups with different chokes. They look OEM. Rem 870.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 11:56:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Steve did my SBS’d V3  Tac-13 and the choke makes a huge difference on a barrel that short.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 7:50:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Adding screw in chokes does make a huge difference in shot patterns in my guns.

If its a gas operated semi-auto, it also helps by creating some back pressure to aid cycling.

You can easily see a significant difference on paper for shot - with buckshot a little less so - but night and day difference with birdshot.  I added a turkey choke and at 15 yds the cheap birdshot is a super tight pattern (ragged hle appear visibly from shooters position.  without it - the pattern is so spread you cant see the pattern - and have to walk up to it to see all the holes spread out.

If your just blasting for fun it's not needed - but it absolutely does make a difference in pattern.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 11:37:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FrankWorth] [#16]
Originally Posted By PraesulPresul1:
GunCat did mine as he's local. Figured I'd do them while he had it. Have yet to test it for groups with different chokes. They look OEM. Rem 870.
View Quote
Who’s the Steve mentioned earlier?
Link Posted: 2/18/2020 10:22:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TheTacticalCoyote:
Steve did my SBS’d V3  Tac-13 and the choke makes a huge difference on a barrel that short.
View Quote
What chokes were installed?
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By FrankWorth:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FrankWorth:
He threaded it for Tru Choke and I installed an Improved Modified in it.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 1:38:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I want to get chokes installed on my Benelli M4 Entry but can't find anyone who would do it with Benelli chokes.  They claim the tooling for Benelli is either too expensive or the barrel isn't thick enough for Benelli.  They will do it for Remington chokes and I have plenty of those.  However, just seems wrong to install Remy chokes in a Benelli but I might be overthinking it.

The M4 Entry lives up its name, it the widest open choke I have ever seen.  If you were to shoot a skinny guy at 25 yards, there is a decent chance every pellet would miss him if he was standing sideways.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 2:20:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#21]
You trying to bird/turkey hunt with a choked SBS?

I don’t get why you’d bother choking an SBS. Just use some kind of buckshot with a flute control was and you’ll have a pattern tighter than any choke will give you.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:16:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
You trying to bird/turkey hunt with a choked SBS?

I don’t get why you’d bother choking an SBS. Just use some kind of buckshot with a flute control was and you’ll have a pattern tighter than any choke will give you.
View Quote
As shown above a SBS can be used for turkey. As for whether or not I will it's one more thing I CAN use it for, even if I never do.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Choke tubes give you more options for a relatively low price. It's a no-brainer, IMO.
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:47:47 AM EDT
[#24]

He threaded it for Tru Choke and I installed an Improved Modified in it.
View Quote
If you don't mind me asking, what did it cost you to cut and install the choke?

Thanks

@TheTacticalCoyote
Link Posted: 7/17/2020 4:46:05 PM EDT
[#25]
$90 for the labor and return shipping. I already had a choke.

@amos1909
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 12:08:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:
I want to get chokes installed on my Benelli M4 Entry but can't find anyone who would do it with Benelli chokes.  They claim the tooling for Benelli is either too expensive or the barrel isn't thick enough for Benelli.  They will do it for Remington chokes and I have plenty of those.  However, just seems wrong to install Remy chokes in a Benelli but I might be overthinking it.

The M4 Entry lives up its name, it the widest open choke I have ever seen.  If you were to shoot a skinny guy at 25 yards, there is a decent chance every pellet would miss him if he was standing sideways.
View Quote

Old post, but I figured I’d put an option out there for you. Briley has the Benelli Mobil thread pattern. I’ve had them do a couple of the 14” a d M1014 18.5” barrels with excellent results. They’re quite quick too. Steve at Rose Action Sports is also great. The last I checked, he didn’t have the tooling to do the Mobil threading though.
Link Posted: 2/9/2021 2:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: shack357] [#27]
Originally Posted By StrangerDanger:

Old post, but I figured I’d put an option out there for you. Briley has the Benelli Mobil thread pattern. I’ve had them do a couple of the 14” a d M1014 18.5” barrels with excellent results. They’re quite quick too. Steve at Rose Action Sports is also great. The last I checked, he didn’t have the tooling to do the Mobil threading though.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By StrangerDanger:
Originally Posted By Quake_Guy:

Finally broke down and sent the barrel off for the choke work. Just under 3 weeks, at a busy time, including shipping both ways. Not bad at all, and the work looks great.
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#28]

Finally broke down and sent the barrel off for the choke work. Just under 3 weeks, at a busy time, including shipping both ways. Not bad at all, and the work looks great.
View Quote

@shack357 who did you end up using for the service?
Link Posted: 8/5/2022 4:11:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Debo75:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Debo75:

@Debo75 I went with Rose Action Sports as recommended.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top