Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/9/2018 4:35:03 PM EDT
Bought this gun maybe fifteen or more years ago, just because I didn't have a field gun and I got a heck of a deal on it on clearance.  I had never actually fired this shotgun, except for a few rounds at a paper silhouette the day after I bought it, just to make sure it worked.  It's sat in a closet ever since I bought it.  I lived in the metro area of South Florida and there's just not that much opportunity down there for hunting, especially bird hunting.  Well, I had the opportunity through my job to go to an industry outing that included a short round of sporting clays.  Allow me to reiterate: I had never actually fired this shotgun before at anything that moved through the air.  And I had never shot sporting clays before, either.  That's what I'm blaming my misses on.  The gun, and the sport itself.  Couldn't possibly be my fault, now could it?  In the end, I just missed breaking .500.  I shot 32 out of 66 clays presented.  Terrible, I realize.

Regardless...

I've discovered that there's a nice skeet and trap range not too far from where I live.  They have beginner's classes once a week, at a really reasonable price.  They have beginner's trap and skeet leagues, as well.  I was thinking I might want to go spend the occasional weekend morning out making noise, and turning orange clay into smoke.  I might even want to look into hunting occasionally - duck, I suppose, or goose, or turkey.  Probably not turkey.  I don't think I have the patience for it.  I do enjoy getting out into the countryside with a couple good friends, though.  So I want to actually shot this 835, rather than just let it sit there collecting dust.  The gun came with one choke installed.  I don't know which it is.  I was thinking about putting together a set, just to have, and to use whenever I feel the urge.  And since this is where I come to get all my gun purchase advice, here I am.

Would it be better to buy a whole set, from Mossberg, or whoever?  Or see what the one is that I have, and piece together a set one-by-one?  And which ones would be good to have?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 5:16:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Your gun probably came with a modified choke, if you don't have a wrench you can use a quarter and pull out the choke and check. I want to order from Mossberg they have pretty decent prices. I would get a improved cylinder in full choke and you should be all set.

My 590 A1 with an 835 Barrel is a real winner, I've gone 50/50 many times on the trap field.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 7:31:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I did pull it, and you're correct.  It came with a modified choke.  I'll look on Mossberg's website.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 7:52:01 PM EDT
[#3]
eBay has some good deals on chokes sometimes.
Just make sure you get 835/935 tubes because they are different from 500 tubes.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:09:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Carlson is good quality?  I see they have tubes for just about any gun you care to name.

@GunCat
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:41:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:54:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You have two good clay ranges near you. Trail trap and skeet and Markham Park.
View Quote
Not anymore.  Moved to the Atlanta area awhile back.  The place to be now is Tom Lowe Shooting Grounds.  This is where the shooting events were held when the Olympic games were held here.  I understand it's a nice place. I'm looking forward to going.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 10:59:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Carlson is good quality?  I see they have tubes for just about any gun you care to name.

@GunCat
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@GunCat
Carlson is good stuff. Better than factory in a lot of cases.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay, I ordered a Carlson Improved Cylinder, and Full.  So I'm going to have to practice my next round of excuses.

"The sun was in my eyes!"

"Yeah, the wind really took that one in a weird direction..."

"Are you sure those are regulation clays?  I don't think they're regulation clays..."
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 6:31:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I attended registered skeet shoots at both locations this past February and March. And I receive emails from both. Still there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not anymore.  Moved to the Atlanta area awhile back.  The place to be now is Tom Lowe Shooting Grounds.  This is where the shooting events were held when the Olympic games were held here.  I understand it's a nice place. I'm looking forward to going.
I attended registered skeet shoots at both locations this past February and March. And I receive emails from both. Still there.
Sorry - they didn't move. I moved.  When I lived down there I used to shoot rifle and pistol at Markham Park.  Never shot clays though.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:19:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@GunCat
QFT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top