Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/21/2021 2:16:46 PM EDT
Looking for a 30 cal rifle can with no barrel length restrictions and these are the 2 its come down to.  I'm already heavily invested in the asr mount because I have an Omega.  The Vox is intriguing but I know what I'm getting from silencerco.   EA being relatively new is the only hang up I'm having with the vox.  Anyone have any experience with the Vox or with EA that you can share?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
in to gather data.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:58:47 PM EDT
[#2]
What hosts?
What other cans do you own?
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What hosts?
What other cans do you own?
View Quote

The only can I own is the omega.   Hosts will be sbr'd 300blk, 5.56 and 6.5 grendel as well as 16 inch 308 and 5.56.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:10:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The only can I own is the omega.   Hosts will be sbr'd 300blk, 5.56 and 6.5 grendel as well as 16 inch 308 and 5.56.
View Quote

Why not an Omega36 for its versatility?

I love my Omega300, and it covers your lighter needs.

I’d personally go with the Vox>Chimera... but mostly because I want to own an Energetic Arms can. I don’t have first hand experience with either of those cans.

Energetic Arms doesn’t have all their eggs in one basket... (Aerospace contracting I think) They also have a super helpful, humble, active presence here on this forum.

As a SiCo owner I’m personally more worried about their longevity.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Why not an Omega36 for its versatility?

I love my Omega300, and it covers your lighter needs.

I’d personally go with the Vox>Chimera... but mostly because I want to own an Energetic Arms can. I don’t have first hand experience with either of those cans.

Energetic Arms doesn’t have all their eggs in one basket... (Aerospace contracting I think) They also have a super helpful, humble, active presence here on this forum.

As a SiCo owner I’m personally more worried about their longevity.  

YMMV
View Quote

The omega 36 has minimum barrel length restrictions and I want a can that doesnt mostly for 12' grendel and if I'm ever feeling wild and build a 12' 308 .  I love my omega and if it didn't have barrel length restrictions I'd probably just buy another one.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Vox S for sure.  The Chimera is almost twice the weight...
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Rex could be another option with no restrictions.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
No experience with the Vox yet, mine has been in jail for a few months now I think.

But my limited experience with EA has been outstanding. I have an EA Nyx Mod1 and love it, enough that I bought a second. I have emailed EA before and they've been very responsive and awesome to talk to. They also post here frequently.

I don't know anything about the other can you're looking at, but weight is always a consideration for me. If the other option is really almost twice as heavy, I'd go Vox for sure. You're not going to go wrong with it.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 6:42:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The omega 36 has minimum barrel length restrictions and I want a can that doesnt mostly for 12' grendel and if I'm ever feeling wild and build a 12' 308 .  I love my omega and if it didn't have barrel length restrictions I'd probably just buy another one.
View Quote

FWIW Silencerco told me the Omega would be just fine on my 12.5" Grendel. Dead Air Nomad is also a nice can with no restrictions
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:11:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Vox S for sure.  The Chimera is almost twice the weight...
View Quote

The Vox S is 15.9 oz with the asr mount and the Chimera is 20.1 oz.  The chimera is heavier, which is a consideration, but not nearly by twice as much.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:13:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

FWIW Silencerco told me the Omega would be just fine on my 12.5" Grendel. Dead Air Nomad is also a nice can with no restrictions
View Quote

Thanks for the info on the grendel.  The nomad looks nice too but I'm sticking with the asr mounts.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Nomad can use ASR mounts as well
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nomad can use ASR mounts as well
View Quote

Ahh, didn't know that.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 7:56:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, the Chimera is heavy but it has been a good all-around can. It sits on my Tavor 7 now but I ran it on my Sig556 SBR (10.5” barrel) quite a bit, never had any issues on the short barrel. When I bought it I wanted a can I could swap around and wasn’t concerned about weight, outside of that the Chimera is built like a tank.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Love my Vox S with a keymo.

With 300 blk subs and a wipe, it's stupid quiet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:14:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Love my Vox S with a keymo.

With 300 blk subs and a wipe, it's stupid quiet.
View Quote

I am very excited to try my Vox out on my CZ527 Blackout with subs. I've probably hyped it too much to myself, but with the wipe I'm very interested to hear a new level of suppressor quiet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:09:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Looking for a 30 cal rifle can with no barrel length restrictions and these are the 2 its come down to.  I'm already heavily invested in the asr mount because I have an Omega.  The Vox is intriguing but I know what I'm getting from silencerco.   EA being relatively new is the only hang up I'm having with the vox.  Anyone have any experience with the Vox or with EA that you can share?
View Quote

Both are fantastic silencers and we appreciate the Vox being considered for your next purchase. FWIW, we spun EA off as a separate business from our engineering business, Electromechanica, Inc. (EMI) in 2017. I founded EMI in 2001 and Steve joined in 2003 so we have pretty extensive engineering and business experience beyond EA. We still operate EMI (Type 10 FFL BTW) in parallel to EA. EMI provides engineering, design and prototyping services to a diverse range of government, defense and commercial clients.

Karl Edminster
Energetic Armament LLC
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:12:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Really cool to have the manufacturer chime in.  I'm not worried about a couple of decibels here and there but was leaning towards the chimera because its bomb proof.  Then I saw the Vox S and the claims of how durable it is due to the materials it's made out of and it's super light weight.  Sounds too good to be true, but if it is true I'm leaning towards the Vox.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Nomad LT.

Only available through silencer shop.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:17:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:00:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:02:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Nomad LT.

Only available through silencer shop.

View Quote

The Nomad Titanium and Nomad LT are not meant for short barrels. The original Nomad would work.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:05:05 PM EDT
[#23]
The Chimera is heavier, probably more durable under extreme conditions above 1200 F, and quieter on bolt actions, but higher back pressure and more port pop on semi autos.

For the money the Vox-S hits a sweet spot for size, performance, fit, finish, durability, and repair ability.  Having a modular thread-in-mount can be more bother than the rock-solid Charlie mount of the Chimera. EA includes Vox blocks to hold the suppressor in a vice and use whatever spanner your Mount requires to torque in, and use anti seize.  With a Plan A mount it’s around 13 ounces and still right at 6.1 inches.  With a Plan A XL it’s a little longer, half ounce heavier, and you get wrench flats instead of the more delicate spanner notches.

If you are chasing decibels or running a belt fed or beta mag dumps then the Chimera is probably a better fit.

The Vox-S is very close to your existing Omega, but doesn’t have the annoying titanium sleeve that can work loose.  It’s also a close competitor to the Rugged Razor sound wise.  If you can afford to experiment with 300 Blackout subsonics the wipes are short term fun, especially in a closed action.  Accuracy shifts can vary widely.  To me its more of a parlor trick, but it’s an option.

As far as company longevity, the industry is moving a lot of product.  No reason why any established company shouldn’t be able to survive the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Chimera is heavier, probably more durable under extreme conditions above 1200 F, and quieter on bolt actions, but higher back pressure and more port pop on semi autos.

For the money the Vox-S hits a sweet spot for size, performance, fit, finish, durability, and repair ability.  Having a modular thread-in-mount can be more bother than the rock-solid Charlie mount of the Chimera. EA includes Vox blocks to hold the suppressor in a vice and use whatever spanner your Mount requires to torque in, and use anti seize.  With a Plan A mount it’s around 13 ounces and still right at 6.1 inches.  With a Plan A XL it’s a little longer, half ounce heavier, and you get wrench flats instead of the more delicate spanner notches.

If you are chasing decibels or running a belt fed or beta mag dumps then the Chimera is probably a better fit.

The Vox-S is very close to your existing Omega, but doesn’t have the annoying titanium sleeve that can work loose.  It’s also a close competitor to the Rugged Razor sound wise.  If you can afford to experiment with 300 Blackout subsonics the wipes are short term fun, especially in a closed action.  Accuracy shifts can vary widely.  To me its more of a parlor trick, but it’s an option.

As far as company longevity, the industry is moving a lot of product.  No reason why any established company shouldn’t be able to survive the foreseeable future.
View Quote

Thanks for the response.  The Vox does seem really similar to my omega so that's got me thinking I should get the chimera.  On the other hand I dont have full auto or belt fed weapons so I doubt I could do anything to hurt the Vox.  The chimera does meter lower at the muzzle, but like you mentioned, it pays for it with more noise at the shooters ear.

Haha, tough choice.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:03:20 PM EDT
[#25]
After doing a little more research it looks like some people say the vox is a little loud, but it also seems to measure the same as the sandman s.  I've got a lot of time behind the sandman s and dont find it too obnoxious.   Can any vox owners chime in on the sound and tone?
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:22:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The Nomad Titanium and Nomad LT are not meant for short barrels. The original Nomad would work.
View Quote

We provided usage guidelines, not real hard red lines in the sand.  Most of it's just help people get the point that titanium doesn't like high heat and crazy rapid fire because it will erode more quickly and loses strength as it gets over 800 degrees or so.  For 5.56, we say keep it over 12.5.  If you're judicious about not mag dumping, you can go shorter.  For 300BLK, there is no barrel length restriction since most people are shooting subs and/or aren't mag dumping.  That 12.5" number is good for calibers over 5.56 like 6.5 and .308 too.

I'd go with the Vox over the Chimera.  KalmanPhilter nailed it with his remarks.  The one thing I've found is that the Chimera has way more backpressure than the Vox (or Nomad).  If you have an over-gassed system, or one that can't be easily tuned, then I recommend avoiding the Chimera.  The Nomad-30 will give you the muzzle performance of the Chimera but the backpressure of the Sandman-S, so your rifle will respond well to adjustments made to it.  The Vox is tougher in the end for hard shooting--like if you're into several mag dumps in a row every time you go to the range.    

Todd Magee
Dead Air Engineering
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#27]
VOX-S no question!

I own the VOX, Sandman-S, NOMAD-L, and Rugged Surge.

While they are all great in my opinion, the VOX is the lightest, shortest, mount modular, no barrel restrictions and great good about back pressure on my hosts.

Dollar for Dollar, pound for pound the VOX is very very hard to beat for a true all around can.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#28]
No experience with the Vox but have a Chimera and am plenty happy with it other than the OEM finish sucked and started to fail pretty much day one.

That said, I specifically purchased the Chimera to be put on short barrel full auto hosts and be abused in 308 and 7.62x39.  Its basically the .30 cal peer to my American Mfg Warrior suppressor in 5.56.  Both are heavy, rugged, and seem to be able to take endless abuse.

At least in my use case application the Chimera works just fine and I have not killed it yet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:13:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for all the replies.  Tried to buy the Vox today and all the dealers in my area wanted to charge me anywhere from $75 -125 dollars more because Silencer shop doesnt carry it.  This puts it in the price range of the nomad.  So I still have a little thinking to do...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:14:42 PM EDT
[#30]
No experience with either but if it were my $700 I’d buy a VoxS
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:24:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

What if the Vox was $800?
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:28:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rex Mg7 or YHM resonator
I think I paid $680 for a Sandman S
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:35:09 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Rex Mg7 or YHM resonator
I think I paid $680 for a Sandman S
View Quote

The YHM looks good but I'm sticking to the ASR  mount.  Thanks for the suggestion though.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#34]
The Resonator R2 has the "Omega" style threads in the back of the can.  1.375x24

Lots of cans have gravitated to this thread pitch so you can have ASR on any of them.  Plenty of excellent advice in this thread already so I can't add much more honestly. I can say confidently being a very pleased Resonator R2 owner you wouldn't be disappointed with it either.  But absolutely nothing wrong with wanting a Vox S, or a Nomad etc...... which have been on my radar as potential can purchases down the road.  

The Chimera has always been a meh from my point of view and I'd only buy one if money wasn't an issue because that would probably mean I'd have access to a full auto and plenty of ammo to burn through it.  I kinda made that rookie mistake with purchasing the Sandman K insisting my first can being "bomb proof" and all that.  I've had it over 2 years and the finish hasn't even turned yet.  Look at pictures or videos of Sandman cans that have been run hard and you will see what I mean.  I can't afford to do that lol.

Weight and length matter.  Durability is a distant third unless you can afford to just burn through ammo like crazy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:52:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.  Tried to buy the Vox today and all the dealers in my area wanted to charge me anywhere from $75 -125 dollars more because Silencer shop doesnt carry it.  This puts it in the price range of the nomad.  So I still have a little thinking to do...
View Quote

Do they not charge a transfer fee at all if you buy from SS?

The dealer I use for transfers charges $75 I think for an NFA transfer now, with an additional $50 for each additional item if you're transferring multiple at the same time.

Still, these are long term purchases that you have to wait a long time for. Generally speaking I wouldn't let $100 factor into the decision.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 12:18:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I cringe at think of the comparison.  Yugo or BMW ?

If you can find a VOX, buy a VOX.

Next best idea?  CDS is doing great work.  Dead Air Nomad is versatile.  I even like Rex Silencium.  Hard to beat the simplicity and value.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Just ordered the vox from hansohn brothers.  Thanks all for the input.  Just confirming the asr mount will be the "Bravo" before I drop the cash on one?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Just ordered the vox from hansohn brothers.  Thanks all for the input.  Just confirming the asr mount will be the "Bravo" before I drop the cash on one?
View Quote

Yes, Bravo is the right one.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Yes, Bravo is the right one.
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nice.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:41:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Both are fantastic silencers and we appreciate the Vox being considered for your next purchase. FWIW, we spun EA off as a separate business from our engineering business, Electromechanica, Inc. (EMI) in 2017. I founded EMI in 2001 and Steve joined in 2003 so we have pretty extensive engineering and business experience beyond EA. We still operate EMI (Type 10 FFL BTW) in parallel to EA. EMI provides engineering, design and prototyping services to a diverse range of government, defense and commercial clients.

Karl Edminster
Energetic Armament LLC
View Quote

@kedminster
Love to see mfgs in the loop on forums, keep it up please.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 10:47:02 PM EDT
[#42]
I had my choices narrowed to a Vox S or a Nomad 30.  I bought the Nomad last week only because my local shop had one in stock.  I will most likely still get a Vox mostly because i want to own something from them, and it seems like a great can.  There is so much more to a silencer than how quiet it is.  I have an AAC Cyclone K.  Really nice can, but it is 22oz...  Lighter is better in my opinion.  I am also a bit leary about SiCo.  I own two of their cans and they are great, but they seem to have made some bad decisions lately.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 11:47:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@kedminster
Love to see mfgs in the loop on forums, keep it up please.
View Quote

Thank you! We are really honored to be part of this community. It is always humbling to see our silencers discussed among some great choices and we never lose our appreciation for all those shooters that have supported us to get here. You guys rock

Karl Edminster
Energetic Armament, LLC.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:17:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I had my choices narrowed to a Vox S or a Nomad 30.  I bought the Nomad last week only because my local shop had one in stock. I will most likely still get a Vox mostly because i want to own something from them, and it seems like a great can.  There is so much more to a silencer than how quiet it is.  I have an AAC Cyclone K.  Really nice can, but it is 22oz...  Lighter is better in my opinion.  I am also a bit leary about SiCo.  I own two of their cans and they are great, but they seem to have made some bad decisions lately.
View Quote

I got suckered into that thinking, too. Now I have 4 EA cans.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 11:36:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I got suckered into that thinking, too. Now I have 4 EA cans.
View Quote

I have three, though two are in jail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top