Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2023 3:45:02 PM EDT
I love historical and interesting firearms and designs and I have been looking at the 1865 Spencer repros in 45 Colt.  It's probably a long shot, but does anyone have any experience with these guns?
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
No experience,  buy wasn't 45 colt only a pistol round in that century?

If you're a purist it might matter
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, the 45 colt was only a pistol round in the 1800s.  Original Spencer carbines in the civil war were chambered in 56-56 Spencer rimfire.  Later examples were chambered in 56-50. Current repros are in 45 Colt or 56-50. To me a repro is for fun shooting with a historic twist, so the much more common 45 colt is close enough.
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:33:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Last time I saw one was 10, 15 years ago.  Seemed well made at the time, but it's been a minute.

I wish they'd make one in .357 or .38, i would buy one .  (Especially the rifle, not the carbine).
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 8:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

I believe your are correct sir

From what I have read. The first lever guns (I guess the Spencer falls in that category) in 45 Long Colt didn't start being produced until the mid 1980s. Of course you can't believe everything you read on the www.

Here a nice ditty on the 45 LC and lever guns.

Happy Sunday

https://leverguns.com/articles/paco/45coltlevergun.htm
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#5]
If you buy one, don't forget to give a range report.
I don't know anything about them but have been eyeballing.

Sort have been on a reproduction binge lately.
Last two revolvers purchased were a Cimarron schofield and and open top 1860 conversion.
Btw the schofield I can't recommend enough. It's just phenomenal.
Both Uberti made.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 7:46:32 PM EDT
[#6]
My Spencer (carbine) used the centerfire 56-50 (originally a rimfire cartridge).   Cycling was rough, and this is really for folks who reload, but accuracy was actually pretty good...ended up trading it, but fit, finish and authenticity were all very good.   If I was doing it again, would have gotten the .45 Colt, but at the time, I was shooting this in NSSA.  v/r W
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:23:55 AM EDT
[#7]
A friend had one from another Italian manufacturer - I think it was made by Armi San Marco. It might be incomparable to the Chiappa equivalent as I haven’t had an opportunity to compare the two.

It was a .44-40 carbine. Excellent external finish but the internals were extremely rough and it had a very heavy trigger.

After extensive polishing of the action and trigger, it functioned superbly and grouped very well.

They were expensive versus a typical lever-action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top