Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2020 3:35:48 PM EDT
I would like a very cheap IR laser I can mount to my 10/22 in a magpul hunter stock. What are my options? I haven't been able to find much. Ideally sub $100, since this is just something to toy around with.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:38:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Crimson Trace CMR-201 (discontinued).  I've picked up a couple for that price.

There's another cheap one that's more squared off and flat.  It's escaping me at the moment.  A google search would find it.

But a google search would find everything you're wanting, yet here you are ;)
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

There's another cheap one that's more squared off and flat.  It's escaping me at the moment.  A google search would find it.

View Quote

Google searches turn up a lot, some of it trash, some of it surprisingly worth more than you pay depending on the application. Hence seeking the knowledge and experience of others who have been in the night vision game longer than I.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I recommend the TNVC/Steiner TOR mini
TNVC TOR Mini

I’d normally recommend the Unimax IR but it’s pretty much the same price and it doesn’t have the adjustable output features of the TOR Mini.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:54:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I’d normally recommend the Unimax IR
View Quote

^^ That's the one that was escaping me.

Tor-Mini is 3X of OP's budget.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 3:55:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I recommend the TNVC/Steiner TOR mini
TNVC TOR Mini

I’d normally recommend the Unimax IR but it’s pretty much the same price and it doesn’t have the adjustable output features of the TOR Mini.
View Quote

Can that be used with a tape switch?
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:09:54 PM EDT
[#6]
No.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I've used a Unimax Uni-IR and the TOR mini IR.... I like the TOR a lot better. The Unimax is a polymer type case, and has small silver oxide batteries that can only be opened by a small screwdriver. The UNI can have a tape switch, but it's short and not the best.

As a "cheap" laser, you have to make sacrifices in what you want and what you want to pay.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:25:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The Uni-Max is pretty cheap and durable from what I can tell. I put mine through the washer and dryer and it still works
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

^^ That's the one that was escaping me.

Tor-Mini is 3X of OP's budget.
View Quote

I thought the Unimax’s were cheaper but they’re only $40 or so difference. At the point I’d go TOR Mini.

I don’t think the OP will find a decent IR laser new or used sub $100
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:31:12 PM EDT
[#10]
For a very similar situation, I used a Viperwolf Green Laser / IR Laser Combo, which are right around $100.  

I took off the rails, and put button head screws with o-rings under them in their place.  Its lasted ~5 years, and I don't treat it gently.

Its perfectly fine, for a laser on a .22 so you can pop raccoons in the dark, or whatever.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Perst-1IK can be had for $130-$175 on ebay, russianthunder, or the other russian webstores.  It's 3mw if you were wanting something more powerful than the TOR mini.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
For a very similar situation, I used a Viperwolf Green Laser / IR Laser Combo, which are right around $100.  

I took off the rails, and put button head screws with o-rings under them in their place.  Its lasted ~5 years, and I don't treat it gently.

Its perfectly fine, for a laser on a .22 so you can pop raccoons in the dark, or whatever.

View Quote

I think this will fit the bill. I’m not gonna be tactical timmy with this thing, mainly just something my kids can handle and ring steel with til they graduate to something bigger and get the cool factor of playing with dads night vision.

Just to verify, this is what you’re referring to?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vector-Optics-Viperwolf-Tactical-Green-Laser-IR-Laser-Combo-Sight-4-Night-Vision-/141205586517
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:58:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think this will fit the bill. I'm not gonna be tactical timmy with this thing, mainly just something my kids can handle and ring steel with til they graduate to something bigger and get the cool factor of playing with dads night vision.

Just to verify, this is what you're referring to?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vector-Optics-Viperwolf-Tactical-Green-Laser-IR-Laser-Combo-Sight-4-Night-Vision-/141205586517
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think this will fit the bill. I'm not gonna be tactical timmy with this thing, mainly just something my kids can handle and ring steel with til they graduate to something bigger and get the cool factor of playing with dads night vision.

Just to verify, this is what you're referring to?

Yup, that.  I literally took it out of the box, hated the rails, took it to the hardware store in hand, found an allen wrench that would remove them, found button head screws that would replace them and o-rings, and have used it for years.  Its not fancy or tier 1, but works just fine.  Having a green laser makes it cake to zero too, since you can zero the green laser in daylight, then put the gun on a rest, and make the green and IR coincide with NV at night.

I've used it on .300BLK as well as .22LR and it seems pretty solid.  I wouldn't go swimming with it, lol.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Yup, that.  I literally took it out of the box, hated the rails, took it to the hardware store in hand, found an allen wrench that would remove them, found button head screws that would replace them and o-rings, and have used it for years.  Its not fancy or tier 1, but works just fine.  Having a green laser makes it cake to zero too, since you can zero the green laser in daylight, then put the gun on a rest, and make the green and IR coincide with NV at night.

I've used it on .300BLK as well as .22LR and it seems pretty solid.  I wouldn't go swimming with it, lol.
View Quote

This will be perfect for my purposes then. Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:48:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's even got a "fun" button!!

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:44:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Shit, you guys...

Gonna give the Holosun unit a try.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Unsubscribing before this thread gives me AIDS.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 1:13:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Laser max.  It's great with the rifle tape switch
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Shit, you guys...

Gonna give the Holosun unit a try.
View Quote

@Desert_AIP LE117? Where are you buying from? I’m down to that or a perst
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:35:24 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

@Desert_AIP LE117? Where are you buying from? I’m down to that or a perst
View Quote

LS117IR

I grabbed one from ebay, still in transit.

I have the Steiner OTAL, I paid $399 for it a few years ago.  It's $550-650+ now.
So I'll give this a try on my non "serious" rifle and see.

I had been looking at the Lasermax unit for most of the year, now I can't find one.  I want a tape switch.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Holosun-LS117IR-Infrared-Collimated-Laser-Sight-w-QD-Picatinny-Rail-Mount/124356748071?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648&redirect=mobile
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 3:08:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I've got one of the viperwolfs, it's been fine - used it on .22 and .223 and it's holding zero so far.  I'll second that I wouldn't take it swimming or into battle, but fine for a plinker. Takes a weird battery.

If you're okay waiting a month or so, for $50 this little guy has been fantastic:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Subcompact-Tactical-Laser-Sight-for-Self-Defense-Picatinny-Handguns-and-Pistols/254362445905?hash=item3b392ee851:g:29YAAOSwNDZdgN7H

I have one that's been living on a KelTec CP33 with a can - it's held zero over a few thousand rounds and has been my go-to small critter killer for the last few months.   Again, wouldn't take it swimming or into battle, but I was pleasantly surprised.
It's IIIB though, so I don't know what import problems you could run into, and I've got a neutral density filter on mine to tame it a bit.
Takes the same battery as most aimpoints, cr1/3n (x3)

I have a perst-1 on the way, and scored a TLR-2 IR (eye safe) for <200 on ebay about a month ago, keep an eye out for deals.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Dang ar199!

I just ordered one of those on ebay after getting halfway through your reply lol. Been wanting to free up my tlr-vir2 from my tx22. Figure ill risk the 50 bucks
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 4:36:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dang ar199!

I just ordered one of those on ebay after getting halfway through your reply lol. Been wanting to free up my tlr-vir2 from my tx22. Figure ill risk the 50 bucks
View Quote

Lol well I just sent my $50 as well.
I have an Otal-C and a Tor for my 5.56 guns.

Need something for a 22lr for skunk hunting

Oh and don't burn your eyes out
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 4:48:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

I got 2 skunks last week with the suppressdd tx22 and tlr-vir2. I hate killing them as I actually have a pet skunk.  But they keep eating young chickens and spraying my dog. I see the same ebay seller has some other ir lasers as well. May get one for a 22 rifle as well
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:06:58 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I got 2 skunks last week with the suppressdd tx22 and tlr-vir2. I hate killing them as I actually have a pet skunk.  But they keep eating young chickens and spraying my dog. I see the same ebay seller has some other ir lasers as well. May get one for a 22 rifle as well
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone out here (rural NM) raises chickens. The skunk eat well and get to the size of Buicks.
A couple years ago missed the shot of a monster one due to fumbling around with a handheld white flashlight and a bolt action 22lr. The next week I bought a Gen2+ PVS-7 built by and arfcommer, I've have the sickness ever since
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 3:47:33 AM EDT
[#26]
what about the airsoft DBAL-PL? $100 ebay
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 8:24:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I noticed those as well. May try one later on down the line.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 9:48:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

The one that looks like the model I referenced but with  a white light stacked on top of it may be worth a second look.  Stay away from the boxy LS-CL3 model, I have one of those and dislike it for a lot of reasons-

(this guy, it's a no-go:   https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tactical-Flashlight-Equipment-with-Laser-Sight-or-IR-Combo-for-Rifle-Pistols/253457928319?hash=item3b0345107f:g:X4wAAOSwqARalrQa  )

I had some beavers tearing up some of my property, after a few weeks of culling them, I finally got the last one with this rig at about 3:00 A.M. at around 30 yards.  

https://imgur.com/txwrkbj

https://imgur.com/AGdiQZj
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:54:35 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

I bought a used one off an arfcommer to try out. Haven't shot it yet. The controls are less than desirable and the visible signature of the ir light is really bad, as in you would never want to use it on a 2 way range. And animals can probably see it with ease.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 11:16:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Got the Holosun unit yesterday.
Good build quality.
Very similar to my Steiner OTAL.
It's actually an IR laser in the right wavelength.

Came in a pretty nice pelican knockoff case.
Came with the wrong batteries, this takes one AA battery.
It came with two CR2s.  The Green takes CR2 Batts.
So looks like a mistake at the factory, no biggie.

Spot looks squarish just playing with it inside the house to make sure it worked, haven't been outside yet.
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 3:54:10 PM EDT
[#31]
I just got my perst-1IK in, took ~40 days from Zenitco on the standard auction site.   For < 175 shipped I'm initially impressed; it's solid, no-frills, remote switch seems sturdy and provides decent feedback, and while the adjustment system is a little rudimentary I expect it'll hold a zero fine.

Link Posted: 11/19/2020 9:12:03 PM EDT
[#32]
PERST-3..   I KID! I KID!Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top