Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2021 5:32:22 PM EDT
Just got my last order of hi-tek coated bullets in from one of the big three casting companies.

In spite of the fact that I specifically ordered the traditional "GROOVED" H&G #68 200 grain SWC, they shipped the new style groveless that everyone is making because it's cheaper to manufacture.

Given that it took 14 weeks to get ANY bullets, I'm going to use them anyway.  Most reports say they are slightly less accurate, which makes sense.  Even though they have a longer bearing surface, the ends of the bearing surface are closer together.  They also are a slightly slower with the same powder load for obvious reasons.

I'm thinking I will probably need to add a tenth of a grain to keep my load in the major category, maybe 0.2 ?

Anyone else who has switched over care to share how their load changed.

EDIT: Corrected above.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:37:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:26:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

In spite of the fact that I specifically ordered the traditional "no grove" 200 grain SWC, they shipped the new style groveless that everyone is making because it's cheaper to manufacture.

View Quote

No groove and grooveless mean the same thing.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 7:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It shouldn't make any difference. The only different would be if you are using a heavier crimp which would increase case pressure, thus possibly increasing your PF. Do a small latter load and use a chrony to see what changes are present using these groove-less bullets and different crimps. I prefer groove-less for my match grade ammo for 1911's. Mostly they are all 200gr groove-less SWC's, but they are coated as well. What makes the big difference for me is the brinell of the cast bullet.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:06:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I wouldn't think it would make any difference in your charge unless you are loading target ammo.

this

and

this

Also,...I don't think they are any cheaper to manufacturer

use them, and enjoy

Link Posted: 1/17/2021 2:56:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I would swear the grooved bullets (200g. SWC .45acp) is more accurate. Testing the grooved and non velocities were identical (4.4g Bulleye)
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Um, yeah...

I ordered the traditional grooved  H&G #68 shape.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 7:09:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I wouldn't think it would make any difference in your charge unless you are loading target ammo.
View Quote

Well, if they are 20 fps slower then there is a risk of not making major depending on the vagaries of temperature and the match chrony no?

0.020" shorter and more bearing surface = slower.

All the big companies have acknowledged that these are cheaper to make (faster to mold/remove from mold)

Now that I took a photo side by side I see the profile is different as well.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
You can send them back or use them.

Make a decision and get on with it.

There is some velocity data at the link below if that helps.

lube-groove-vs-no-lube-groove
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 1:51:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can send them back or use them.

lube-groove-vs-no-lube-groove
View Quote

Since bullets are running 12-16 weeks to get anything, I'll use them.

Just means getting to the range with my chrony and verifying that they meet power factor before a match, which is an extra PITA.

Thanks for the link.  That .231 load though... (almost 10% above Hodgdon's max) , still, that data only shows a 10fps drop, so I should actually be fine, I don't cut it that close to the power factor floor.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks for the link.  That .231 load though... (almost 10% above Hodgdon's max) , still, that data only shows a 10fps drop, so I should actually be fine, I don't cut it that close to the power factor floor.
View Quote

Hodgdon is not the only source for load data with lead/cast bullets in 45 Auto. See Lyman, Speer and Hornady.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Hodgdon is not the only source for load data with lead/cast bullets in 45 Auto. See Lyman, Speer and Hornady.
View Quote

True, but they do make the powder.  I also have two other manuals that show max at either 5.5 or 5.6.

My Lyman 49 does show 6.0 max though.
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:50:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

True, but they do make the powder.  I also have two other manuals that show max at either 5.5 or 5.6.

My Lyman 49 does show 6.0 max though.
View Quote

And for a bullet with a profile like the one you're using, Lyman's max with 231 is 6.1 grains (50th edition).
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 7:54:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

True, but they do make the powder.
View Quote

Hodgdon does not make 231. They just sell it.

Winchester 231
Link Posted: 1/18/2021 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont shoot .45 anymore but I have lots of components.  In this case I have sample pack of SNS 200 swc that do indeed have the groove, You can have them for free.

Might be nice to see your range report to see how they group side by side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top