Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2018 4:43:16 PM EDT
I'm sorry if this has been posted in the past, couldn't find it.

I am currently waiting on a stamp for a 300 BO pistol I have.
If I were to ever decide that I'd like to swap that rig into a 5.56 for example, what would I need to do as my paperwork already specifies it's a 300 BO?
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a thing, do as you please.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:21:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I can just swap the barrel out as if nothing?!?!
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep. It'll only ever matter again if you ever transfer your SBR to someone else, and it's in a different caliber at that time.

ATF does request that you notify them if you ever *permanently* change the caliber, but cannot require you to do so, and what does "permanent" really mean on an AR platform, anyway?
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 7:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yep.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 8:57:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm sorry if this has been posted in the past, couldn't find it.

I am currently waiting on a stamp for a 300 BO pistol I have.
If I were to ever decide that I'd like to swap that rig into a 5.56 for example, what would I need to do as my paperwork already specifies it's a 300 BO?
View Quote
The caliber and other descriptors on the Form 1 is the configuration you said you wanted to build (make) and that is the approved configuration for the original build.

Once you build the gun per the Form 1 description you can change it anyway you like.  As was said above, ATF Martinsburg asks that you notify them of any permanent changes, but I have personalty been told by Martinsburg that there really is no such thing as a permanent change to a AR15 variant platform.

An examiner told me that if you ever transfer (sell) the gun that the Form 4 should match the Form 1 so you should do a change letter if you are transferring the gun in a different configuration than you originally made or it might cause a delay.

I have heard from other member here that the change was made by Martinsburg as part of the Form 4 transfer.

Bottom line, if you don't intend to every transfer the gun, make all the changes you want and don't worry about it.

I have done change letters and it just confused everyone.  No more change letters for me.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top