Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/13/2018 5:11:28 PM EDT
So when you file for a From 1 you put in the barrel length and overall. I am approved but I bought a new barrel that is shorter. I have read that it doesn't matter what barrel is in/on it as long as you retain the original. My question is when I go shooting do I need to take the original with me or do I just say its in an alternate configuration at the time?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:20:26 PM EDT
[#1]
You're fine.  It's an SBR.  The barrel length doesn't mater.

The caliber designation is what you would be in violation for changing.  unless of course you registered it as multi.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:53:33 PM EDT
[#2]
You can change barrel length or cartridge - once you assemble the SBR exactly as you filed for the stamp.

So, if you filed for a 10.5" 5.56 SBR you need to first assemble the SBR with a 10.5" 5.56 upper, after that you can swap uppers, even sell or disassemble the original 10.5" 5.56 upper..
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The caliber designation is what you would be in violation for changing.  unless of course you registered it as multi.
View Quote
Yep, you can have a bunch of short uppers.  You can even have them in the samesafe as your non-NFA lowers, so long as your non-papered lowers are in legal configuration, or if broken down, CAN be in legal configuration (i.e. have a long upper for every non-NFA lower).

And ATF stopped taking multi caliber designations a while back.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
No, the ATF are not at the range waiting to measure your uppers.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 7:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Once you "make" the SBR per the description on the Form 1 you can change the caliber or barrel length/OAL at will.

ATF Martinsburg "askes" that your report any "permanent" changes, but also states that most changes made to an AR type SBR are NOT permanent.

ATF Martinsburg suggests that if you ever transfer the gun in a configuration that does not match the registry, that this may cause a delay.  Report any changes prior to transferring your gun.

Some have reported problems with the approval of a 5320.20 if the configuration does not match the registry, other have had no problems.

The more examiners we get the less standardized they will be.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Let's see your multi marked form 1s.

@joleson
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
There would still be no violation, and you can’t register anything as “multi”, not currently anyway.

As long as nothing is “permanent”, you’re good to go. Almost nothing is permanent with an AR.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 3:53:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advise, I still have the original barrel which is 10.25 and the new barrel is 9.25. If I ever sell the longer one I will send them a letter.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:42:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for the advise, I still have the original barrel which is 10.25 and the new barrel is 9.25. If I ever sell the longer one I will send them a letter.
View Quote
I wouldn't, it's unnecessary.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 4:19:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

He may or may not have one...but there are a lot of them out there. It was perfectly acceptable for awhile.
View Quote
This, + all my HK stuff is 3 calibers.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:14:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Once you "make" the SBR per the description on the Form 1 you can change the caliber or barrel length/OAL at will.

ATF Martinsburg "askes" that your report any "permanent" changes, but also states that most changes made to an AR type SBR are NOT permanent.

ATF Martinsburg suggests that if you ever transfer the gun in a configuration that does not match the registry, that this may cause a delay.  Report any changes prior to transferring your gun.

Some have reported problems with the approval of a 5320.20 if the configuration does not match the registry, other have had no problems.

The more examiners we get the less standardized they will be.
View Quote
What would happen if I were to get pulled over out of state on an approved 5320 listed with a 14.5" barrel length but I had an 11.5" upper mated the lower?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 12:18:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:53:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He may or may not have one...but there are a lot of them out there. It was perfectly acceptable for awhile.
When I submitted my first Sbr F1 back in 2006, it got kicked back because I had multi.  Had to cross out multi, put 5.56 in the box and send back.  Then had to submit letter stating that I occasionally would a use 10 in. 9mm upper on registered receiver.  2 months later friends were getting F1 approved with multi??  
I still have the "approval" letter to use my 9mm upper.  LOL
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What would happen if I were to get pulled over out of state on an approved 5320 listed with a 14.5" barrel length but I had an 11.5" upper mated the lower?
View Quote
You'd explain to the Popo the way we're explaining to you.  If that doesn't work, well, at least you'll beat the rap.

But if your interaction with the law gets to the point where they're pulling out measuring tapes and checking your barrel you've likely got other problems as well.
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 6:13:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

In theory, nothing...as no crime has been committed.
View Quote
Quoted:

You'd explain to the Popo the way we're explaining to you.  If that doesn't work, well, at least you'll beat the rap.

But if your interaction with the law gets to the point where they're pulling out measuring tapes and checking your barrel you've likely got other problems as well.
View Quote
Good to know. I have always played it safe by taking my registered 11.5's with me. Moving forward, I will not worry about it so much.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 2:33:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
This
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top