Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2023 7:50:56 AM EDT
Several months ago I picked up my grail lever gun. A Rossi 92 16" in 357 and stainless. I love it, I'm sure you guys know why. I could go on and on about it. Awesome gun.

There's a used with box Henry side gate 357 with a 20" barrel for sale locally for $800. That's a private sale so no tax or other charges. About 45 min from my house. Near perfect condition.

At first I was REALLY excited. A HENRY! In 357! I have no need for either the rossi or the Henry, so if I buy the Henry the Rossi will go to make room in the safe. I can sell the Rossi for most of the price of the Henry so I'm not gonna be out much more money.

Waking up this morning Im just not sure if I want the Henry though. I'm sure it's a great rifle but I'd be giving up my grail Rossi for a Henry I definitely wouldn't buy new.

Online says the Henry is 1.5 pounds heavier and the gun in question is a 20" not my beloved 16".

Sure I could buy the Henry and keep the Rossi but I don't need 2 357 lever guns in the safe and for the price I'd rather buy something I don't have or would use more than a second 357 carbine. If the Henry was a 16" I'd probably be all over it. I'm not into buying guns then trying to charge someone else more for it. Thinking about taking the drive and buying it just to play with it. I could sell it again for $800 but that's just a lot of work. I know I'm gonna like it, but I don't know if I'll like it enough to ever grab it over my Rossi. Plus aren't the 92's out of production? I can't imagine Henry's gonna stop making a 357 lever gun anytime soon. Pretty much just thinking aloud. I need to decide if I want to buy or not soon. I'm probably just gonna let someone else found the grail gun, mines in the safe.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#1]
So buy it.   Keep both for a few months.    Dump the second place gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 8:57:56 AM EDT
[#2]
You just want to buy a new gun.

Link Posted: 3/29/2023 10:47:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I still don't understand the prevalent philosophy of selling a firearm to buy another. If you sell them, you no longer have them. I don't get it. Save up your money until you have enough to buy the new one you want. I just don't get this musical-chairs firearm thing, but many here subscribe to it. "I want something, so I have to sell something." Just odd.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 2:19:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Not worth the upgrade. You already spent the money on the rossi and love it. You are gonna lose money selling it.

Henry doens't make stainless rifles....yet. Henry mounts optics better but its a pistol caliber....not like you are going to need a scope on it...at most a red dot and Rossi does that just fine.

I'd keep the rossi and maybe look for something else in a Henry like a X in 45 or 44 or other caliber.....maybe a brass big boy in 45-70 with an octagonal barrel. Would make a nice heirloom.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#5]
That is a deal on the Henry as they are VERY hard to find in .357. But if you arent looking for one and the Rossi is really the configuration you want keep that one. The Henry is not a better or more inherently accurate gun. It is all in what you like. The compactness of a 16in 92 is hard to top. I also have not heard a thing about them not making them anymore. They are everywhere in stores.
Link Posted: 3/29/2023 7:37:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah brother, ya got to jump on a 357 when you find it. It's hard to beat a Henry....
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I still don't understand the prevalent philosophy of selling a firearm to buy another. If you sell them, you no longer have them. I don't get it. Save up your money until you have enough to buy the new one you want. I just don't get this musical-chairs firearm thing, but many here subscribe to it. "I want something, so I have to sell something." Just odd.
View Quote

This. Save up. Keep both.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I agree with the previous posts. If I don't have the money, I don't even look. As someone with two 357 lever actions, get both. Closer to a poor, than an Arfcom millionaire, I only sell when I get tired of the gun. Usually it is traded off, not sold.

edit - I didn't notice the post was back in March. What did you end up doing? Pass on the Henry, sell the Rossi, or get both?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top