Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2023 9:04:21 PM EDT
I post this in GD also but I figure it would be good here too.

This women is pretty cool during it.

1847 colt walker Civil War pistol

Yes, I bought a Walker because of this.

Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:17:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont get it. If the lead ball or bullet is a tight fit, i.e. shaving lead when it's loaded... how can it chain fire?
eta
If the ball is patched, it should be sealed against fire intrusion.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 9:33:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I dont get it. If the lead ball or bullet is a tight fit, i.e. shaving lead when it's loaded... how can it chain fire?
eta
View Quote

Chain fire is more commonly caused by flash across the nipples than past the balls at the cylinder front.  The way Colt recessed the nipples helps to prevent chain fire but it is not 100%  when the caps are too large.  Pinching a #11 cap to use on a #10 nipple is a bad idea with a revolver.
Link Posted: 3/13/2023 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Chain fire is more commonly caused by flash across the nipples than past the balls at the cylinder front.  The way Colt recessed the nipples helps to prevent chain fire but it is not 100%  when the caps are too large.  Pinching a #11 cap to use on a #10 nipple is a bad idea with a revolver.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
eta

Yup....lots of good quality slo mo video has shown this to be the case.
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 9:39:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
eta
View Quote

This seems to be a topic of much debate.  Some say it's the cylinder gap flash, others think it's the nipples.  Seems to be evidence for both in certain circumstances.

Chain Fire: Why Does It Happen?
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
I would park my truck behind me. I have a 1860 army. I need to post a video of it shooting but even if I had
a cig hanging out my mouth I bet I won't get that many views.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 2:47:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
but it’s worth it!

I thought a chain fire would be more “exciting” than that (never experienced one).
View Quote

She didn't even lose the ash off her cigarette.
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 5:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I wonder if that happened very often in the Old West?
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 11:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What's odd is I own 17 black powder revolvers and have shot them a lot and never had a chain fire incident.

A friend of mine who has only one - an 1860 model - has had a number of chain fires with his.

Below is a picture I took at the range a few weeks ago. What's left of the lead ball that fired is stuck on the wedge.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/26/2023 11:01:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Still cracks me up.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:26:59 PM EDT
[#11]
The only chain fire I experienced was with unsealed chamber, in which the ball shaved some lead when loading. I always use WonderWads or the equivalent, as grease creates a hell of a mess when firing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 1:28:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

She didn't even lose the ash off her cigarette.
View Quote

She's a Southern gal; she didn't lose her ash when she eviscerated her last husband.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top