Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2020 7:09:37 PM EDT
Cerakoting Question;

So, my PRS build that I finished needs to be badass, and I want to get “GUNGNIR” with the image of a spear cerakoted onto the barrel. I like Cerakoting because it’s heat and scuff resistant, and the weapons alread FDE cerakoted.

Is this a thing that’s easy to do? Spray it on using a stencil maybe? I have a local guy who does good cerakote work, but I don’t know the possibility of a stencil an inch high and thin with words and such being doable. What do y’all who dabble or work in cerakote think?
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 7:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Can it be done yes. Would it be a pain in the ass. Yes. Although I admit I have only done stencils a very few times.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 8:42:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can it be done yes. Would it be a pain in the ass. Yes. Although I admit I have only done stencils a very few times.
View Quote
Would there be another coating suggested to mark cerakote with?  Perhaps a high heat paint on top or enamel?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 4:02:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Would there be another coating suggested to mark cerakote with?  Perhaps a high heat paint on top or enamel?
View Quote
No clue I have only used Cerakote.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm just getting into reading about Cerakoting stuff.  So I may be wrong here.  Not sure about top coating over dried lower surface.  But I would paint the barrel the color you want the images to be.  Let dry, have someone cut out masks with vinyl mask material.  Apply where you want it, spray top color and remove masks.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 11:37:35 PM EDT
[#5]
That's actually pretty easy as long as your coater can make or order the stencils.  I'd prep, shoot base color, flash for 15 minutes, apply stencil with transfer paper, shoot final coat, and then cure full cycle.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 12:48:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Like woodsy stated above, not an issue.

Cerakote should not be painted over fully cured Cerakote (doesn't bond properly). If your barrel is already cured with cerakote, it will need an acetone bath, get blasted, gassed out, and repainted. Same process with a non-cerakoted barrel, but the first coat is one color for the entire barrel, then the flash cure, then the stencil and second color applied, then another full cure bake (bonds all the colors together, very strong).

It is possible to vinyl cut a high heat stencil and tape off just the area you want painted if you want to leave the barrel with whatever finish it may already have. But this would be less durable in theory. I have painted just the flute cuts in a stainless barrel once, no issues there so far. Just gotta run the steps a little out of order. Soak the part, gas it out, tape it off with media resistant material, blast it, wipe it down again, spray and bake.

I have also accidentally fully cured a part I needed to 2 tone. Instead of starting completely over, I wiped the cured cerakote part with acetone to get it clean, taped it off, blasted just the section that needed painting aanother color, re-painted and cured it again. Blasting being key to getting the part ready to accept the coating. Otherwise a new coating will not adhere to a fully cured coating. So far I cannot tell a difference in wear. But, that was for one of my own rifle, I wouldn't cut corners like that if I were to paint a part for someone else. I would blast it all off and start again.

Cerakote isn't difficult to paint, but to do it properly is time consuming, and requires vigilant prep work. Time is money if you are hiring the job out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top