Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2018 1:20:13 PM EDT
Hey, I'm doing a "retro" build but it's not really aiming to be super-accurate, so I'm not going to get the anodizing done XM gray, largely because the only two people I've found who can do XM gray are not taking any orders until the very end of the year or early next year.

Cerakote is way cheaper as well.

Anyway, if anyone is familiar with Cerakote colors and the XM gray finish - which I've never seen in person - can anyone tell me what is the closest match?

Thanks buuuuuudies.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 4:54:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Don’t overlook Norrells Moly Resin in your searching, though I’m not sure which gray is correct for your application. If you call them with they will advise you.

http://molyresin.com

Dark gray-black - coloration with a flat appearance. This color is a very close match to the early original Colt model SP-1 AR-15 and M16-A1 finish. This is the same product that is purchased from us by the U.S. Military to refinish M-16’s at various military bases and armories.

Gray flat - A match to older gray military parkerizing including some very early Colt and Armalite M-16 rifles.

Light gray flat
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 6:47:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Cerakote will send you samples for free.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#3]
While I have not personally compared the 2 side by side, I have seen a few others say “sniper grey” is very very close
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cerakote will send you samples for free.
View Quote
I think I read on their website recently that they no longer send free samples.  I’d use moly resin if I were you.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 1:31:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I think I read on their website recently that they no longer send free samples.  I’d use moly resin if I were you.
View Quote
I just had two samples sent to me today
Link Posted: 8/26/2018 11:57:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Cerakote Sniper Gray!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top