Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/16/2021 4:24:37 PM EDT
Anyone here into casting and coating?

Is it worth it? I have never done it, but have considered it lately in an effort to think more about being self sufficient. Is it worth it, and how do you even coat stuff?
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:36:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 4:56:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Take a look here. I got a ton of help.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:03:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The only mistake I made was as not buying the bigger Lee pot. Oh, and waiting six or seven years to get started after I bought a pile of lead!
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
IDK where I could get lead on the easy.

we have like 50-100lb bricks at work, but it's all activated LOL.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 6:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:26:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I haven’t shot jacketed bullets, or even bought bullets in years.

Link Posted: 1/16/2021 8:32:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm really curious about the powder coating.

I've stockpiled over 1k lbs of lead, have a furnace, lubricator, sizer, etc, but have yet to actually sit down and cast something.  In fact, I need to go through and sort around 500lbs of wheel weights, smelt them, and at least get ready to make bullets.
Link Posted: 1/16/2021 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is it worth it? I have never done it, but have considered it lately in an effort to think more about being self sufficient.
View Quote

Depends on your situation.  I started because I was shooting a lot of heavy bullets through silencers.  Jacketed big bore bullets are $$$ so I tried casting and powder coating to save money.  

You can get everything you need for under $200 if you don't get fancy stuff.  Lead is free from the berms at a range.  I loaded subsonic 44mag for around 20cents and subsonic 45-70 for maybe 25cents.  

It's probably not worth the money unless you shoot many thousands of pistol rounds a year or a lot of very heavy bullets that would be $$$ to buy(500gr jacketed .458 bullets are around $1 each!)

You still need primers and powder which typically dry up before bullets do during a panic, so it doesn't really make you self sufficient.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 4:12:52 AM EDT
[#9]
I never cast and used traditional lube. I went straight to powder coating. So take this for what it is worth.

It is the easiest thing to do. Sizing bullets is a pain, casting bullets has its frustrations. But powder coating them has been cake since I upgraded to good powder coat from smoke on castboollits.

I could not imagine having to preheat a lube and sizer and push lube into grooves while sizing bullets. I am certain it is not too difficult, but dang if powder coated feels easier.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Anyone here into casting and coating?

Is it worth it? I have never done it, but have considered it lately in an effort to think more about being self sufficient. Is it worth it, and how do you even coat stuff?
View Quote
is it worth it?

It is worth it because you don't have to wait on an order and store shelves are bare.  That makes it worth it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 8:56:28 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been spending my latest stimulus check on equipment & supplies.

I just need molds and sizers.

I found a good source for lead, plus I ordered some from Rotometals.
Link Posted: 1/17/2021 10:01:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a source for free lead and started casting about a year ago. Went straight to powder coating. It’s been a little frustrating at times but I enjoy the new hobby.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 6:46:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought all my lead from cast book it’s ~8-10 years ago. Wish I’d bought more. I don’t have the space to “cook”, only to cast. Cooking is where you’ll save big!
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#14]
My opinion only but in good times casting makes sense for heavy bullets typically larger than 9mm/38.  That being said I cast for 9mm because I’m stupid like that. Currently if you have the equipment for casting you look like a genius.

Lot of reloaders also buy in bulk.  When I get down to 5k in primers of a particular kind then i place a good size order of everything to last me a few years.  So for the most part we are not effected by this craziness unless you get a new caliber.

Your problem is everybody now is going to cast. Good luck finding molds. I know after Obama there was a massive shortage on powder and primers. I can’t remember if that happened after Sandy Hook.  This time around I would guess is the worst I’ve seen it since I started reloading.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 1:56:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I used to cast and coat.  With having to buy most of my lead around $1 a pound I just found it not worth it for me anymore given the cost of coated bullets.  If I had a ton of free lead (other than digging out of berms which I have done for some) I'd say it's not worth it unless you enjoy the process.

If I get a 38 or something that I can shoot just tumble lubed bullets again I might do that, the coating process is kind of a pain but does work really well.

With that all said I'm not getting rid of any of my casting stuff and I still have lead in my work shop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top