No problem at all.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
Originally Posted By EVR:
OK.  Great thread.

Question...

I use One-Shot and make sure I get a bit inside the case mouth.  W/ the homebrew stuff of lanolin & 91% or 99% alcohol, is there any problem with allowing some inside the case mouth?  Will the slight amount of water in 91 or 99 cause issues of dampness inside the case?

W/ One-Shot I just spray, let dry a few minutes, size/prime, do a rudimentary wipe-off (rolling between wet towels) and shoot.

No problem at all.

That’s how I get the case necks lubed…
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:27:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 8:17:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Then after sizing, I remove the lube in a dry tumbler filled with plain corn cob.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GHPorter:

That's how I get the case necks lubed
Then after sizing, I remove the lube in a dry tumbler filled with plain corn cob.

For me that would be an extra step and would require another separate one to prime, assuming you don't tumble primed cases.  For my bulk ammo I just load after sizing on a progressive.

So really my question was if one can just size and load w/o removing the residual lube that might be inside the case?
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:06:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#5]
I have read that Lanolin does not effect the powder charge.

But I'm a firm believer of removing sizing lube, so don't know for sure.
View All Quotes

For me that would be an extra step and would require another separate one to prime, assuming you don't tumble primed cases.  For my bulk ammo I just load after sizing on a progressive.

So really my question was if one can just size and load w/o removing the residual lube that might be inside the case?
I have read that Lanolin does not effect the powder charge.

But I'm a firm believer of removing sizing lube, so don't know for sure.

I think that's correct also.

I'd also be concerned about any latent moisture from say 91% alc.  I would think 99% would evaporate quickly (?).

Link Posted: 5/16/2022 2:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 6:38:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Powder DOES stick to lanolin.  I don’t mind an extra step to prevent that.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:23:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#8]
Powder DOES stick to lanolin.  I don’t mind an extra step to prevent that.
View Quote
Yes, but I find it to be an issue mainly with stick powders and small case necks like .223 and Varget.  If your case count is low, a q-tip and a small amount of alcohol cleans the necks pretty well.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#9]
https://i.imgur.com/ZoHtYyCl.jpg

Guess I'm lucky. Bottle in pic was used with Midway lube and just mixed my third batch of homemade in it.

Midway bottle better than Dillon bottle?
View Quote
I bought my bottle when I first started loading .45-70.  At that low volume, my bottle was probably 20 years old before it spit.  How old is your Midway bottle?

The link in my other post is for glass bottles.

There is something to the plastic composition, from the other fella's post.  The alcohol bottles don't split, but the Dillon bottle does.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I just ordered these.

Thoughts?

8-ounce ATOMIZER SPRAY BOTTLES
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:12:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I just ordered these.

Thoughts?

View Quote

The “atomizer” key word tells you that the sprayer will throw very fine droplets, so it will do great for creating a mist of lube.  Experiment with distance from the brass to get “just enough” lube on the cases - it’s easy to overdo.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#12]

The “atomizer” key word tells you that the sprayer will throw very fine droplets, so it will do great for creating a mist of lube.  Experiment with distance from the brass to get “just enough” lube on the cases - it’s easy to overdo.
View All Quotes
I just ordered these.

Thoughts?

thanks.  that's what i was hoping to hear.

i saw regular spray bottles available, too, but my guess is they +/- send out a stream even on "spray'.

thanks.  i hope the things work.

this has been a great thread.  thanks for all your input.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 11:52:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 1:55:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MkTwain] [#14]
Does lanolin lose its lubricating properties once it gets too old?

I've got some that is really old  like  maybe 10 years.

tried to google it, but all the links are talking about  uses other than reloading  
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 4:45:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By MkTwain:

tried to google it, but all the links are talking about  uses other than reloading  
View Quote

The lanolin I've got is probably 10 yrs old too and haven't noticed that its any less lubricious. The IPA prevents fungal and bacterial growth.

I use an old Windex spray bottle to store and dispense the mixture. It's held up pretty good over the same period of time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:32:34 PM EDT
[#16]
I use the 99% when I make my lube, it dries much faster than Dillon or FA spray lube.
View Quote

Doesn’t stay 99% for long. Its highly hygroscopic and can absorb water even in some containers.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:50:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 12:57:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#18]
Doesn't matter, it works better (drys faster) that what you buy.
View Quote

Fair enough; I don’t remember at what concentration it stabilizes, and I have no idea what concentration Dillon uses. I think you probably use yours rather fast considering how many rounds per month you say you load.

I wonder how much water is in the lanolin we buy? Perhaps its enough to bring the alcohol/water ratio to a stable level, and thats why people report better performance from higher starting concentrations.
Link Posted: 1/20/2023 1:29:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cardplayer] [#19]
Originally Posted By MkTwain:

View Quote

A few months ago I found a new 7-8 year old bottle of Dillon lube that I must've picked up at some point before finding this thread(I very lightly lube all of my cases prior to loading regardless of die material and press). A couple of months ago I used a bit on a couple hundred 9mm cases and found the end result to be a completed round that was far more tacky or stickie than our method.
I didn't use any more or less than normal and suspect it was from the lanolin(or whatever they use) breaking down. I could add a bit of 99 to the mix and see the result but, I think that would be a waste of time as it will evaporate and I will be left with the same result/mess.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top