Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2021 6:38:58 PM EDT
So finally got to try out my F1, but noticed after about 5 shots the caps would loosen. Is there something I can do to help lock them in place?
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 9:55:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Only thing that has worked for me is more torque to begin with.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 7:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I've heard thread seal tape works well for this issue. I have never tried it however.

Another thing you could try is clear nail polish. It works like a lesser loctite. I have used that for threads before, but nothing form 1 related.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:49:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Only thing that has worked for me is more torque to begin with.
View Quote

I guess I'll get a rubber strap and tighten the piss out of it. I mean it was pretty tight.

Starting to wonder if I got some sub standard parts.

Is it legal to take it somewhere and have one or both of the caps welded?
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:21:22 AM EDT
[#4]
IME, when a can is first assembled, the baffles can "seat" a little in the first few rounds and the cap should be snugged up and then it should be solid. Of course a really solid initial torque can probably do that too, I just usually tend to not really crank on things unless absolutely necessary.

If for whatever reason your baffles/spacers are collapsing, that's a different story.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 11:27:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've heard thread seal tape works well for this issue. I have never tried it however.

Another thing you could try is clear nail polish. It works like a lesser loctite. I have used that for threads before, but nothing form 1 related.
View Quote

As crazy as it sounds, Teflon tape + torque helps this.

Don't ask me how.
Link Posted: 10/24/2021 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I guess I'll get a rubber strap and tighten the piss out of it. I mean it was pretty tight.

Starting to wonder if I got some sub standard parts.

Is it legal to take it somewhere and have one or both of the caps welded?
View Quote

I don't know about a strap wrench. On my cans that have provision for a tool, I tighten the caps pretty good. I have a rimfire can with the endcap coined. I wrap a rag around it and tighten as much as I can, endcap slipping in the rag. As mentioned, the baffles can settle after a few shots. Retighten. This seems to go away after a few disassembly/cleaning cycles.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
IME, when a can is first assembled, the baffles can "seat" a little in the first few rounds and the cap should be snugged up and then it should be solid. Of course a really solid initial torque can probably do that too, I just usually tend to not really crank on things unless absolutely necessary.

If for whatever reason your baffles/spacers are collapsing, that's a different story.
View Quote

What do you mean by collapsing?
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 3:56:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Rocksett.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#9]
I use Rocksett also.
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 3:56:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
So finally got to try out my F1, but noticed after about 5 shots the caps would loosen. Is there something I can do to help lock them in place?
View Quote

OP, what did start with? Was this perchance a solvent trap kit?
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can also use something like Rocksett…but instead of letting the pieces dry together, let them dry separately. Then assemble. That often gives enough thread interference that the parts won’t loosen on their own, but will be easier to remove when wanted. Similar theory to using Teflon tape.
View Quote

Great idea
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 10:25:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

OP, what did start with? Was this perchance a solvent trap kit?
View Quote

It was a solvent trap that sucked as a solvent trap, then turned into a F1.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:53:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

K baffles can have their "tops" bend downward towards the cone (happened here https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/I-cleaned-my-22-suppressor-today-and-now-the-end-cap-does-not-lock-the-baffle-stack-update-10-5-21/20-527598/)

The only time I've heard of spacers collapsing is when they've been skeltonized too much.

Neither of these are likely to be your issue, but it's worth noting.
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 12:20:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Pistol and rimfire cans get torqued as tight as I can.  Rifle cans get rocksett and tightened as tight as I can.
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 5:33:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

It was a solvent trap that sucked as a solvent trap, then turned into a F1.
View Quote

I ask because I'm having the same problem.  What shape are your cups and have you had a strike?

Link Posted: 10/28/2021 7:58:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I ask because I'm having the same problem.  What shape are your cups and have you had a strike?

View Quote

60 degree, and no haven't had strike.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

60 degree, and no haven't had strike.
View Quote

Question, did you by chance make a blast chamber?  Or did you use baffles clear to the tube adapter?  I could be wrong, but would that increase the pressure on the adapter side and help it loosen up?  Did you try rocksett yet? 2oz for 10 bucks not going to break the bank but I'm considering buying that myself to try.

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Question, did you by chance make a blast chamber?  Or did you use baffles clear to the tube adapter?  I could be wrong, but would that increase the pressure on the adapter side and help it loosen up?  Did you try rocksett yet? 2oz for 10 bucks not going to break the bank but I'm considering buying that myself to try.

View Quote

Ya, it has a 2" blast baffle. Judging by all of the carbon around the threads, there's just too much space. I'll probably try the rocksett next time I go shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top