Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » M-16
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 11:51:17 PM EDT
I have been looking on the ATF website and cannot find it, but I thought I had read somewhere that many M16s were classified as C&R even though they did not yet meet the age requirement.
Does anyone know if that is true? I know that the ATF sometimes makes exceptions to the 50-year rule.  I would appreciate a link if possible.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:21:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have been looking on the ATF website and cannot find it, but I thought I had read somewhere that many M16s were classified as C&R even though they did not yet meet the age requirement.
Does anyone know if that is true? I know that the ATF sometimes makes exceptions to the 50-year rule.  I would appreciate a link if possible.
Thanks
View Quote
The early Model 01s (i.e. the 601s) were added to the C&R list long before turning 50 years old. Generic later issue guns will need to age into that status, unless there have been additions to the C&R list since the last time I read it. You can google the C&R list to see what guns, if any, besides the 01s are on the list now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:40:46 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, the BAFTE does not keep the list 100% up to date with all makes and models, so it may not show your MG.  This is where a FOIA request would be helpful for determining age.
Page Armory » M-16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top