Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/17/2023 4:08:16 PM EDT
If buying a C&R eligible suppressor would it transfer on a F3 or F4?

Or would it be F4 private to C&R ffl then F3 to dealer to dealer?
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 5:23:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be able to go straight to you on F4 (even if interstate). List your C&R FFL on the form.

If the buyer (you?) doesn't hold a C&R license then it's just like any other silencer transfer.

If the buyer is unlicensed then any FFL can receive it (tax-paid) and there's no need for any F3.
It does not matter if the seller holds a C&R FFL or not. (Only an SOT transferor can do F3 to another SOT.)
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 8:41:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Should be able to go straight to you on F4 (even if interstate). List your C&R FFL on the form.

If the buyer (you?) doesn't hold a C&R license then it's just like any other silencer transfer.

If the buyer is unlicensed then any FFL can receive it (tax-paid) and there's no need for any F3.
It does not matter if the seller holds a C&R FFL or not. (Only an SOT transferor can do F3 to another SOT.)
View Quote

Ok that’s what I was wondering if a F3 would even apply to a C&R.

Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:24:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Ok that’s what I was wondering if a F3 would even apply to a C&R.
View Quote
Tax Free Form 3 transfers are only eligible between FFL holders who are also both Special Occupation Taxpayers (SOTs), which are dealers, manufacturers, or importers of NFA firearms.

As a C&R FFL holder you can't pay for and hold a SOT status as a C&R license isn't eligible to be a dealer, manufacturer, or importer of NFA firearms.
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 8:40:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 11:50:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I remember hearing that C&R doesn't apply to suppressors because they don't qualify to be C&R.  There's some weird wrinkle where they're regulated, but yet don't qualify as a firearm as defined for C&R purposes.
Call ATF to verify before going through the trouble and spending lots of time.
View Quote
Discussion about that here from 2017: https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Looking-for-Information-Regarding-CandR-Classified-Silencers-/20-481441/

I believe it would qualify, just like any old C&R MG, and I wouldn't count on getting a straight answer from ATF since they apparently aren't allocated any funding to determine such things.

If you're worried about any potential wasted time then have a regular business FFL be the transferee to receive the silencer interstate and pay the additional $200. Then do another F4 to the in-state purchaser.

If you want to try transferring straight to the C&R purchaser from out-of-state then do that. The worst that can happen is a denied F4.
(I'd include some kind of PDF document showing the age of the silencer in question.)
Link Posted: 5/19/2023 12:46:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Im not actually buying anything at the moment just a what if type question.

I think C&R lic will become more and more desirable as the years tick on.
Link Posted: 5/20/2023 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#7]
So in theory, anything made before 1973 (50 years old) should be C&R eligible right?

Link Posted: 5/20/2023 9:17:58 AM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top