Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/29/2022 8:30:50 AM EDT
I'll probably shoot this one time and never take it out of the safe again lol but I found a Nagant 7.62×38mmR that I always wanted (since its the only revolver that seals the gap when it fires) to shorten and put a silencer on but wanted to know if anyone knows if the 7.62×38mmR round would stabilize if I took an inch or 2 off the barrel so I dont send a round through the side of the silencer, let me know, thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 10:25:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Tornado Technologies  has been threading them for years. Ask them about shortening them that much.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:09:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I had mine threaded by ADCO.  Don't know if they still do them, but it didn't need cutting down.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tornado Technologies  has been threading them for years. Ask them about shortening them that much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I saw an article on them but wasn't sure since it was the first time I heard of them, I sent them an email to see

Quoted:
I had mine threaded by ADCO.  Don't know if they still do them, but it didn't need cutting down.

I've had a dozen or so things cut by them but I mainly wanted it cut it down so its a little shorter, its already an odd setup, being a full length revolver barrel with a can on it makes it even more odd lol
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#4]
To answer your question in the thread title - yes. I was curious and used a drop cut from a Mosin rifle and it stabilized down to 1.5" including the threads in the frame. I didn't try any shorter than that.

ETA: This was with Romanian HotShot commercial ammo. I didn't try any of the corrosive surplus.
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
To answer your question in the thread title - yes. I was curious and used a drop cut from a Mosin rifle and it stabilized down to 1.5" including the threads in the frame. I didn't try any shorter than that.

ETA: This was with Romanian HotShot commercial ammo. I didn't try any of the corrosive surplus.
View Quote

Ok, not sure I'm following since you said Mosin rifle... I'm referring to the 7.62×38mmR ammo with the bullet recessed inside for the revolver (I'll admit I know nothing about this round). Did you need a new barrel and cut back a little at a time from a rifle that uses 7.62×38mmR? Sounds like possible good news, let me know what I'm missing
Link Posted: 7/29/2022 1:30:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Given the length of the projectile, I can't see how you could possibly lose enough velocity for it to matter.
Link Posted: 7/30/2022 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Ok, not sure I'm following since you said Mosin rifle... I'm referring to the 7.62×38mmR ammo with the bullet recessed inside for the revolver (I'll admit I know nothing about this round). Did you need a new barrel and cut back a little at a time from a rifle that uses 7.62×38mmR? Sounds like possible good news, let me know what I'm missing
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We're talking about the same thing. Instead of using the factory barrel to see about stability in shorter barrels I removed that and used a piece from a shortened Mosin rifle - which is where many of the M1895 Nagant barrels came from - to test stability at various lengths.

After that I put the factory barrel back on. I was only curious.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top