Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2018 1:54:04 PM EDT
I was just given some cast lead bullets, but they have no lube on them. Is it ok to still reload and shoot them? All the cast bullets I've ever shot, I've bought and have had the lube in the grove.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
they need sized and lubed.....or coated and sized
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Do a Web search on pan lubing it's not difficult.   If the're already sized, lube and shoot
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a small batch of bullets that fall into the same category as the OP.

So if I take the unlubed bullet, size it, powder coat and bake it; it should be shootable?

Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 3:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a small batch of bullets that fall into the same category as the OP.

So if I take the unlubed bullet, size it, powder coat and bake it; it should be shootable?

Thanks for the info!
View Quote
I think you're good, there's like 400 pages on this topic on castboolits.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:27:35 PM EDT
[#5]
powder coat first....then size it

LEE makes a push thru sizer die for about $20

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 4:32:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 5:25:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Lead bullets are bad enough with lube.  I wouldn't shoot them in-lubed. Heck, I won't shoot them anymore at all.  Plated is cheap and lots of sources.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 6:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
They definitely need either lubed or coated as in powder coated.

They may or may not need sized that depends on what size they are. I've shot thousands of un-sized bullets in many different calibers / cartridges.

Motor
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, if you don't have a lubrisizer, you can get a bottle of Lee Alox and tumble lube the bullets. And be mindful of not exceeding the recommended velocity.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 1:00:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Also, if you don't have a lubrisizer, you can get a bottle of Lee Alox and tumble lube the bullets. And be mindful of not exceeding the recommended velocity.
View Quote
That is the best way to go. Be aware it is smoky when you shoot lead with alox on it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

That is the best way to go. Be aware it is smoky when you shoot lead with alox on it.  
View Quote
Trade them into a bullet caster for finished bullets.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 11:16:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Or melt them down yourself.
I have done that before.
As a mater of fact, i have a bunch of what look like Maxi-hunters that are AFU.  They were a present from a friend who I made some other bullets for.
Im waiting for a good day to melt them down.  They have some sort of lube on them that I'm just going to burn off (smoky).  Then turn them into .440 RB.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 7:29:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If you shoot unlubed bullets they will lead your bore badly.

You will not be happy.

They were probably meant for someone to powder coat them.

Powder coated bullets don't lead the barrel.
View Quote
This is what I was thinking. I did discover that the majority of them have been lubed, but about 20 or so aren't. The unlubbed ones were in a small bag on top of the lubed ones.

I'm still not sold on the whole powder coating thing.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:11:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
You should be. Everything I have read about it says it is the best thing for shooting cast lead bullets since the invention of lube.

I am a hard core cast lead shooter. I have spent countless hours getting my revolvers set up to shoot lead bullets well (slugging bores, reaming cylinders, firelapping barrels, etc...) and I am getting ready to make the transition over to powder coated bullets now.

From what I have read, it eliminates any issues with leading altogether and gets rid of any issues with lube amount, on the bullet, composition of the lube, etc...

Right now I have enough traditional lead/lubed bullets to last for awhile, however the next time I buy bullets, they will be destined for powder coating.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought about 5K of powder coated bullets and will not go back to uncoated.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:48:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Me neither. And sizing and lubing at this rate makes me even less sold.

Link Posted: 5/19/2018 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#19]
"Can you?"

Yes.

You will then spend a LOT of time trying to remove the lead from the bore.

Lewis lead removers do not have that long as rod.

A worn bronze brush with some copper chore boy strands (make sure is it NOT plated steel using a magnet) works
with a longer rod.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top