Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2020 10:46:45 PM EDT
If I wanted to drill out a second end cap with a 9mm hole for a suppressor I form 1ed as a .45 for instance, is that allowed?
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:55:42 PM EDT
[#1]
No extra parts allowed. I have a 1/2-28 cap and a 5/8-24 cap on each end of my .30 Cal F1 can. I swap them around to fit the gun I'm attaching it to. A bushing type thread adapter is allowed because it doesn't retain baffles, but I was trying to avoid tolerance stacking.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No extra parts allowed.
View Quote

So then why can I buy an extra end cap for a commercial can without filling out another form 4?

Or to ask it another way, why can a company like Dead Air sell extra end caps as non-regulated items but not extra baffles?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 12:46:52 AM EDT
[#3]
The short answer is no.  

The more complicated answer is maybe.

One way is to submit your F1 with multiple caps detailed.  If it's approved that way, you're GTG.

The other way would be that your F1 uses the same caps as some non-silencer muzzle device (which you also own).  This is how SiCo, Dead Air, et al. get away with selling end caps.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:02:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is how SiCo, Dead Air, et al. get away with selling end caps.
View Quote

So if I own (for instance) one Dead Air Silencer, two end caps that fit that silencer and no separate muzzle device, is that “constructive possession” (or whatever the correct term is) since I have no legitimate use for the second end cap except for using it as a “silencer part”?
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 2:45:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No extra parts allowed. I have a 1/2-28 cap and a 5/8-24 cap on each end of my .30 Cal F1 can. I swap them around to fit the gun I'm attaching it to. A bushing type thread adapter is allowed because it doesn't retain baffles, but I was trying to avoid tolerance stacking.
View Quote

@wingsnthings
Say that again please. Slowly as I'm form1 retarded and to the avg Joe it looks as if your sentence contradicts itself.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 8:52:12 AM EDT
[#6]
The SiCo, DeadAir, etc, end caps are sold at retail because the Mfr's have had them deemed non-silencer parts, because they no longer fit the definition. This is due to the fact they have an alternate purpose. No, you don't need the blast shield to retain the end cap status.

A form 1 maker doesn't have the ability for their parts to be ruled upon. If you did, you'd have to make one, under an approved form1, and send it to the ATF for a ruling (never to expect its return).

Quoted: because it doesn't retain baffles.
View Quote

@wingsnthings
This is such a perpetuated myth. There's zero evidence to substantiate it and doesn't fit the definition of silencer.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 1:08:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top