Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2018 6:16:16 PM EDT
A good friend of mine inherited this old rifle.  Pretty sure its a Mauser of some type and its an 8mm but that's all I know.  I figured y'all would be able to help us out.

Here are some pictures of the receiver and such:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

If y'all need any additional pictures just let me know.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:24:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I think it is a Turkish version.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:29:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, Turk 1893...if it is not converted to much, it could be somewhat valuable, in any case not as cheap as any run of the mill Turkish Mauser...more pics would be helpful...

It's at least been modified for Spitzer bullets, but otherwise looks pretty original from the two pics...these are a bit more desireable as this was the standard arm of the Turks during WWI, and would have been what the ANZACs faced at Gallipoli....
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:34:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info.  What exactly should we try to get some pictures of?  All I have right now is pictures of the markings on the receiver, I didn't think to get my buddy to take a picture of the whole rifle.
Link Posted: 12/4/2018 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Overall pics of both sided, also better pics of the receiver area, if original, it would still have the magazine cutoff installed...
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 1:21:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Turk 1893 converted to 8mm

Originally would have been 7.65 cal but were updated and rechambered to 8mm in the 1930's cut-off removed , thumb relief cut added and remarked recvr ring.

Original 7.65 rifle very rare in States, 8mm imported by thousands. I wouldn't shoot a small ring 93 with hot 176 or 196 gr WW2 surplus.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 10:24:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Good info! I knew y'all would come through.

As soon as i hear back from my friend i'll get more pictures. I know he has some ammo for it but i'm not sure of the vintage.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:03:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Finally got some pictures of the whole gun.  Hope this helps.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 9:09:06 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one like it.  Never shot it.

Are these safe to shoot?
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 12:56:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one like it.  Never shot it.

Are these safe to shoot?
View Quote
As long as it’s all there and nothings broken , give it a good cleaning and take it out . If it was safe then it should be safe now, just use the correct ammo.
Link Posted: 12/17/2018 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Awesome - I'll try it out!

I also picked up another Mauser (known safe to shoot) - an RC K98; will have to make a range trip (finally).
Link Posted: 12/18/2018 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Might want to check headspace before shooting it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 12:05:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Might want to check headspace before shooting it.
View Quote
I wouldn't shoot that gun at all.  Small-ring Mauser conversion to 8mm done by Turks?  Fuck that noise.

And I've shot the shit out of sketchy as fuck $39 M38 Turk Mausers.  There's a limit.

If you must shoot it, the traditional redneck proof-test is to tie a string to the trigger, wrap the receiver in a OD green M65 field jacket, point it down range (towards the rusty old shot-up car hulks) and pull the string.  Hopefully its a bang not a boom.  Yes, the jacket must be OD green.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top