Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2019 3:38:03 PM EDT
These were some M193 that were in a sealed bag I bought about a decade ago. Most of them were good and the rest had mild corrosion that cleaned up in the tumbler.

The bullets in the pics below are ones I segregated.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:44:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Throw them in the tumbler and try them out
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Throw them in the tumbler and try them out
View Quote
I had them in the tumbler for an hour already.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Soak them overnight in dawn dish washing liquid and Lemi-Brite.

then re-tumble.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Soak them overnight in dawn dish washing liquid and Lemi-Brite.

then re-tumble.
View Quote
Thanks.

I can try that. Hope it works, because the corrosion is pretty bad.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:42:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Ketchup/Catsup, whatever... is often used to clean copper cooking pots. It's worth trying on a bullet or two to see if it works.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ketchup/Catsup, whatever... is often used to clean copper cooking pots. It's worth trying on a bullet or two to see if it works.
View Quote
I'll try that. I'm curious to see if it works.

Thanks for the suggestion
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Been soaking them in Dawn for a couple of hours already.

So far, I don't notice any of the corission coming off.

I'll let it continue overnight and throughout the day tomorrow. After work, I'll rinse them off and throw them in the dry tumbler again. I'll let it tumble in the Walnut Media for 3-4 hours and see what happens.

I'll report back tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:59:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I dropped a bunch I had like that into my pin tumbler and the came out great!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:04:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Actually I decided to try something different.

I rinsed off the bullets because I don't think the Dawn by itself is going to do much. I don't have lemi bright.

I'm now soaking the bullets in white vinegar with salt.

https://youtu.be/KJwgikMyi1Y

I'm actually seeing results already.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Holy Shit. They are 75-80% clean after soaking for 30 minutes.

The remaining oxidation is now green colored.

I'm going to let them soak for another hour.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:18:25 PM EDT
[#12]
yes vinegar. I used to soak penny’s as a kid
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:24:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I was going to say lemi shine but no, throw that shit away.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:27:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
yes vinegar. I used to soak penny’s as a kid
View Quote
I was reading that online.

I've read that you could use vinegar and baking soda too.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 9:27:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I was going to say lemi shine but no, throw that shit away.
View Quote
The bullets or the lemi shine?

The bullets are cleaning up nicely.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 10:59:52 PM EDT
[#16]

This is after 1 hour in the tumbler.

The vinegar/salt soak took the overwhelming vast majority of the corrosion off nicely ..but it also took the shine off too.

At least I feel better about using them now.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
Before

After

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 11:25:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I’m sure with the right stuff in the tumbler, those bullets could be shiny again. Either way, they will make great plinking bullets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:16:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Lemi shine works great, it's just citric acid.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 7:20:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Send them to me for proper disposal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:38:38 AM EDT
[#21]
Good job ! Now you can toss them in the tumbler to finish cleaning and shine 'em up a little.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 12:24:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Apple vinegar is the solvent found in ketchup.  I read that moonshiners used it to clean their stills.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good job ! Now you can toss them in the tumbler to finish cleaning and shine 'em up a little.
View Quote
I think they are fine the way they are. The dullness is just cosmetic and the bullets are for practice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if the jacket has been compromised in any way that could possibly lead to a separation when fired?
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:05:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
Ketchup will be slightly acidic.  If that is what you are looking for, vinegar would be simpler and cleaner to use.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 4:07:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Been soaking them in Dawn for a couple of hours already.

So far, I don't notice any of the corission coming off.
View Quote
Soap is basic.  To reverse the corrosion you will need an acidic compound.

FWIW the corrosion doesn't "come off."  Corrosion is a chemical reaction and the acid simply reverses the corrosion reaction.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
FWIW the corrosion doesn't "come off."  Corrosion is a chemical reaction and the acid simply reverses the corrosion reaction.
View Quote
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!!  It's SO NICE to see wisdom injected into threads like this.  Thank you so much kind sir!  
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 9:50:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Wet tumbling with pins would have been another route.

I personally don't like non-typical chemistry with reloading, particularly things that have an affect on copper based alloys. Leads to questions like: I wonder what that chemical does to brass?  Or to Gunpowder?  Or my barrel?

I'm sure they were rinsed when done, but things have a way of sticking in pores and crevices.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:10:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Soap is basic.  To reverse the corrosion you will need an acidic compound.

View Quote
I understand what you are saying.

That being said, if you do a quick Google Search, you will get many hits on  the " removing" of corrosion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=removing+corrosion&oq=removing+corrosion&aqs=chrome..69i57.6932j0j7&client=ms-android-verizon&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Coming off is just another way of saying removing..

Removing, reversing, cleaning, coming off etc.....Semantics.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:28:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ketchup will be slightly acidic.  If that is what you are looking for, vinegar would be simpler and cleaner to use.
View Quote
I much rather use vinegar and salt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 10:46:46 PM EDT
[#31]
If you like what you used that's great but lemi shine is bar none the best for brass casings and copper bullet jackets. I don't know how the costs compare but.......

Motor

ETA: I should say chemically bar none. Wet tumbler with the little SS pins would probably be best overall.
Link Posted: 1/21/2019 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!!!  It's SO NICE to see wisdom injected into threads like this.  Thank you so much kind sir!  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know where you are going with this but to suggest in some way that you can turn corroded material back into its former form is ridiculous.

Yes you are chemically changing it and removing it from the base metal it once was. Or as with wet tumbler with stainless steel pins you are actually removing it with abrasion.

Motor
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 12:22:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't know where you are going with this but to suggest in some way that you can turn corroded material back into its former form is ridiculous.
View Quote
OK, not to get too technical here but in any chemical reaction, products and reactants typically exist in the same space and they come to some sort of equilibrium.  At that point, the rate at which the reactants come together to make products AND the rate at which the "products" react to form "reactants" are the same...  if you add something to the mix, you can push or pull the equilibrium to a different "position" favoring products or reactants (depends on what you add and how much of it you add)...  So if you oxidize copper, you get copper oxide(s)...  it you reduce copper oxide you get elemental copper and an oxidizer...  it isn't always that "clean" but sometimes it is...  think of the silver polishing solutions that you just dip black sterling silver into and watch it turn back to a beautiful silver color in seconds right before your eyes...  you could think of it like "reverse" oxidation because that is basically what it is!...
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 3:20:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Now that the corrosion is off, if you want to put some shine back on them, tumble them in walnut shell.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 4:45:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
OK, not to get too technical here but in any chemical reaction, products and reactants typically exist in the same space and they come to some sort of equilibrium.  At that point, the rate at which the reactants come together to make products AND the rate at which the "products" react to form "reactants" are the same...  if you add something to the mix, you can push or pull the equilibrium to a different "position" favoring products or reactants (depends on what you add and how much of it you add)...  So if you oxidize copper, you get copper oxide(s)...  it you reduce copper oxide you get elemental copper and an oxidizer...  it isn't always that "clean" but sometimes it is...  think of the silver polishing solutions that you just dip black sterling silver into and watch it turn back to a beautiful silver color in seconds right before your eyes...  you could think of it like "reverse" oxidation because that is basically what it is!...
View Quote
The original statement wasn't so specific. In my opinion it was too broad and easily misunderstood. This may apply to specific materials but certainly not all.

Rust on iron based metal is just one example.

Motor
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
The original statement wasn't so specific. In my opinion it was too broad and easily misunderstood. This may apply to specific materials but certainly not all.

Rust on iron based metal is just one example.

Motor
View Quote
What you are alluding to is that the nature of oxidation varies depending on what is being oxidized, what is doing the oxidizing, and to some degree the "environment" where the oxidation is occurring.  In regular, real world conditions, when copper oxidizes in air, the oxidation is very superficial, doesn't change the integrity of the surface, and the oxide is protective of the underlying copper and prevents further oxidation.  Think of tarnish or "petina".  The "tarnish" on those bullets was very superficial and didn't really affect the integrity of the surface.  That is why it "cleaned up" so quickly and easily...  Iron oxidizes very differently from copper...  the process of oxidization usually does effect the integrity of the surface and the oxide is NOT protective of the underlying iron so that over time the entire chunk of iron will eventually turn to rust dust.  You could reduce the rust dust back to iron dust easily enough but that wouldn't recreate the item that was destroyed by rust.

Cheers!

- R -
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:23:38 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#38]
System Message
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top