Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/28/2021 7:33:39 PM EDT

Was in the dark bathroom with the TNVC 14 (L3 H UNfilmed WP) I bought two years ago. I was installing it onto a new helmet when I absentmindedly turned on the built in IR illuminator while facing the mirror. I immediately let go of the knob and it turned off a fraction of a second later.
On turning the unit on again I can see a small translucent circular blem smack in the center of the image,   which reminds me of the macula on the retina.
It is not black, just translucent.
Did I burn my tube permanently or will it go away?
That happened about a half hour ago and haven’t turned it back in since.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 7:49:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Just checked, about two hours after the incident. The intensity of the blem is waning; now it has almost disappeared. It resembles a small droplet of water on glass. Hoping it goes away completely and I won't have to buy a binocular setup!
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 8:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Just to make sure "shoe box" it, by putting it into a completely dark atmosphere and leave it turned on for 24 hours.  That will probably remove any trace of your oops.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 8:23:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used a foamed pelican case with a buttler creek cap over the objective lens. Maybe a little over kill, but you don't want to burn an image onto the tube should any bit of light creep in.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 8:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for your replies!
Will apply a scope cover sealed w tape
Inside the pelican case
Inside my safe
With the lights off in the gun room
For 24 h
There’s no auto shutoff right?
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't think that would burn in. Generally if it's real light and translucent the shoebox will get rid of it.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 9:48:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for your replies!
Will apply a scope cover sealed w tape
Inside the pelican case
Inside my safe
With the lights off in the gun room
For 24 h
There’s no auto shutoff right?
View Quote

As long as it's disconnected from the swing arm you're good. On all my PVS14 that I use a Jarm on I usually rip out the connectors so the auto off is inoperable.
Link Posted: 11/28/2021 10:49:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the response Augee & others.
I checked and the "blem" seemed less intense after being off for three hours.
Set the gain at ~40%, covered the objective with a secured scope cap, and enclosed it inside a form fitted Pelican case, which I placed inside my safe. Will check in 12hours. Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I have the same tube, so following to learn. I think it will pan out well after 24 hours like folks mention. Great technology but certainly a source of frustration in how finicky and overtly fragile they are. I had a 5 year old walking around with mine this Thanksgiving and probably should not have considering it’s a $4,000 tube.

I’m surprised the autogating did not stop it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 12:36:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Will update in AM
Link Posted: 11/29/2021 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#11]
After 22h of the shoebox trick the blem is GONE!
The previously noticed translucent water bubble on the image has resolved completely at all levels of gain while looking at a white wall with the built in IR illuminator. No mirrors around this time.
Thanks to all who responded.
Will have to come up with another excuse to purchase the bino's.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I find it very interesting how some tubes are very sensitive to oversaturation/blems and some are not.  I literally drive down the road and get no MCP oversaturation as cars or streetlamps go by, same with IR from some less than ideal illuminator/laser placement.  Just interesting is all.  Glad to see the shoebox worked for you!
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I find that the colder it is outside the more this seems or occur across all my tubes. Maybe Augee can chime in but my understanding that unless it prolonged static light exposure most tubes are gonna be just fine with brief exposure. Lasers on the other hand are kinda no direct exposure is safe and even quick laser hit will leave a permanent mark. I had my Binos get a brief exposure from a IR flood light for a digital camera and it took about 20 minutes for dark area to fade but it appears no lasting damage was done. Always give you a little anxiety however.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top