Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 3:14:53 PM EDT
I am planning to get some OpsCore Amps. I'm a little confused about the cables, PTTs and what radios they will work with. What are the plug requirements for use on which radios?  
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you can get a downlead with a U174/ TP120 plug for the AMP. I'm not sure if you can get downleads with any other connector? If you're using a military radio, you just need a PTT that runs from the radio and has a U174 female connection for the headset downlead. If you're using a commercial radio like police or civilians typically have, you'll need a PTT that's amplified or an inline amplifier to run between the downlead and the PTT. The PTT will need to be able to plug into whatever radio you're going to use so the cable end will need to be specific to your radio.
Below is an inline amplifier that would connect between the downlead and the PTT, using something like this eliminates needing an amplified PTT. If you decide to amplify the signal inside the PTT, rather than inline, you'll need to make sure whatever PTT you get is amplified.

Copy and paste link.
t.ly/rvI0
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#2]
On an amplified headset you will need an amplified PTT in order to use it with most consumer radios. Ops core amp/rac, Peltor, sordin, etc.

The "good" brand of amped PTT is Disco32 (www.disco32.com) they are about a hundred bucks. There are cheaper ones on Amazon and ebay, my $60 ebay one works great with one radio but not great with some others. My Disco32 one works with everything.

The UV5r is a good cheap radio, but disco makes a PTT for the UV9R which has a screw down PTT connection and is reasonably water resistant, if you are buying a radio + PTT to match, pick the UV9R over the UV5R, IMO. Buy a spare radio now too, not many others use that connector whereas the UV5R style are readily available, although less rugged.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:51:17 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 for Disco 32, solid company that I've dealt with a couple of times now and and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to friends and family.

Of course, get your FCC license to operate a HAM radio. Then I would recommend looking into DMR radios, which are pretty much the best thing going right now IMHO.  If you can't afford a DMR radio right now, they're on the high end price wise, I'd recommend buying a lower cost radio that has a compatible PTT connection.  For example, the lower end radio uses a Kenwood, the DMR you want to pick up later should also use a Kenwood connection for the PTT. That way you can prevent yourself from having to buy another PTT down the line.

Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:38:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On an amplified headset you will need an amplified PTT in order to use it with most consumer radios. Ops core amp/rac, Peltor, sordin, etc.
View Quote

It’s the opposite actually. The headsets you list are non amplified. When a headset is not amplified it needs an amplifier. Military headsets use a dynamic microphone which is a simple coil/magnet system to pick up sound and therefore are not amplified. The radio (mil type radios) amplify that at the radio side. When a mil headset (dynamic microphone is plugged into a commercial radio it works but the voice transmitted is soft.

On the opposite side a amplified headset uses a electret microphone which works off of a electric field helped by a capacitor. The nature of the capacitor is it boosted the sound and doesn’t need to be amplified by the radio.

The reason dynamic microphones are used in mil stuff is it is a much simpler design which makes it more rugged.

As to the Opscore stuff. The AMP has option of the u174 or amphenol connector. The amphenol is for Opscore PTT and their ptt works with a couple mil radio connectors.

So your options are above as others posted. I’d get the u174 and look for either a amplified ptt that fits your radio or a inline amplifier, that is if your using a kenwood two pin radio like a BF or anytone or other commercial radio.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I am interested in this as well.

Can anyone help me specifically?

I have a Yaesu Vx-6r on the way with MARs mod.

I found a compatible PTT from Disco 32 https://www.disco32.com/products/u94-push-to-talk-for-yaesu

I have Comptac muffs without a microphone or downleads.

What do I need to get talking? Where do I buy from? I prefer fully waterproof.

I am taking my HAM Tech/ General test tonighy.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:23:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Peltor sells a conversation kit for COMTACs, but the cost is almost half as much as you'd paid for a used pair of COMTACT IIIs with the downlead and microphone already installed on them. That's the route I did, just bought a pair of used COMTAC IIIs that were new out of box condition and then kept my noncomms COMTAC IIs for regular range use when I'm not using a helmet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top