Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2020 7:21:48 AM EDT
I recently got a great deal ($10) on a used Forster case trimmer.    

It came with the 22 pilot, and I need a 30 cal pilot ASAP.

I read on the MidwayUSA that a Forster Pilot with fit into the Hornady case trimmer.    So if that is the case,will the Hornady Pilots fit in a Forster case trimmer?   If so, I can get the pilot I need cheap and delivered by Sunday.
https://smile.amazon.com/Hornady-Trimmer-Pilot-9-308/dp/B000N8OEU6/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=hornady+pilot&qid=1599731785&sr=8-2

BTW, I have a Wilson case trimmer too....if anyone else has both, which do you like/use the best?

Link Posted: 9/10/2020 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#1]
For accuracy I prefer Wilson.  For speed Forster will be a little faster.  I can screw up a trim with either one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2020 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I've got a RCBS but trim bulk with a Giraud tri-way.

Maybe rcbs will fit? Mine are .153 DIA by .427 long.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 6:14:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Case Trimmer Pilots for the following: Forster - Lyman - Redding - Hornady are all the same shank size.
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's good to know info, thanks.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Case Trimmer Pilots for the following: Forster - Lyman - Redding - Hornady are all the same shank size.

What size shank is that?
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 10:57:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/13/2020 11:31:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What size shank is that?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What size shank is that?
I just measured my Forster one (.22 cal)  that came with the trimmer and it is .1850" and the new Hornady one I just got today is .1855"  

So the answer is a .1850"  shank!

I measured each three times and that is what I came up with using a cheap set o fHarbor Freight calipers.   BUT regardless, the Hornady does fit in the Forster trimmer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2020 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Now I am trying to clean and lube it up but I can't figure out how to get the handle off or the cutter off the other end.

Does anyone know how to take the cutter part apart?   The handle arm does not seem to be a screw and the set screw does not seem to to keep the cutter in the other end.     Any tips?
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 8:00:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Now I am trying to clean and lube it up but I can't figure out how to get the handle off or the cutter off the other end.

Does anyone know how to take the cutter part apart?   The handle arm does not seem to be a screw and the set screw does not seem to to keep the cutter in the other end.     Any tips?
View Quote

If yours is the same as mine, the handle is threaded on and the cutter is of a piece with the shaft, not removable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top