Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2018 9:27:09 AM EDT
Co worker just called from the Czech Republic. He found a C96 in decent shape at an antique shop for just under $300 USD. He said it includes the stock. Can he ship it back without too much hassle?

no pics yet, if he sends some I will post them.

eta spelling
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 9:44:32 AM EDT
[#1]
You have to find a dealer willing to import it for you, there's a bunch of hoops they have to jump through. Generally it's not worth the cost and hassle unless you're importing a lot of guns or something very rare/valuable.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, was sort of thinking that maybe since it is C&R It might be easier to import.

He just texted me and said it is a spanish version.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:22:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, a C&R license holder can do the occasional import on a Form 6. The catch is that the gun cannot be surplus military. As many C96 pistols were commercial guns - especially the Spanish-made ones - he may be good to go.

Go to ATF's site, download the Form 6, fill it out, and submit to ATF. They'll either approve or not.

The main issue is likely going to be export/purchase laws in the country he's in.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:32:45 AM EDT
[#4]
does it matter if the gun is old enough to be an "antique"? like in the US pre-98?
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
does it matter if the gun is old enough to be an "antique"? like in the US pre-98?
View Quote
Yes. Pre-99 antique firearms can just be brought in. Either carry them home in your checked luggage or just mail them back.

The Form 6 is only needed for modern guns.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/986/~/importing-a-muzzle-loading-gun-that-is-considered-an-antique
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 12:55:20 PM EDT
[#6]
@MVolkJ

Thanks for the info. Maybe with a C&R this is do-able since the gun is post 1898.
Hopefully the ATF will approve the form.

ETA Gun is in the Czech Republic so hopefully their export laws are friendly.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yes. Pre-99 antique firearms can just be brought in. Either carry them home in your checked luggage or just mail them back.

The Form 6 is only needed for modern guns.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/986/~/importing-a-muzzle-loading-gun-that-is-considered-an-antique
View Quote
When I worked in Italy 6 years ago I wish I new more about it. I was in a gun shop in Switzerland and they had several super cool antique guns for not much money. I wasnt sure on getting them back to the US or taking them to Italy first.

It was a short work to Switzerland so I didnt have much time.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 1:20:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

When I worked in Italy 6 years ago I wish I new more about it. I was in a gun shop in Switzerland and they had several super cool antique guns for not much money. I wasnt sure on getting them back to the US or taking them to Italy first.

It was a short work to Switzerland so I didnt have much time.
View Quote
The main issue you'll run into with antiques is that the date cutoff differs depending on the country, and a number of countries have export hoops you need to jump through - like getting an export permit from the Ministry of Culture or the like.

If you're dealing with a country that doesn't really care or has exemptions for tourists buying antique guns - like say, New Zealand or the UK - it's as simple as "buy the gun, mail it back". Pre-99 antiques are completely unaffected by the GCA.
Link Posted: 8/29/2018 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Talking to ATF import branch last month when I was in Astan.  They stated I could import C&R to include military as long as it was C&R.  I haven't imported anything on my C&R but back in 88-90' imported lots of guns on Form 6s from West Germany as a individual/servicmember.  Denied was my Webley MkIV and 1939 P08 Luger

CD
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 11:15:40 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Denied was my Webley MkIV and 1939 P08 Luger
View Quote
What was their reasoning for the denial?
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 5:04:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What was their reasoning for the denial?
View Quote
War surplus at the time 88-90'.

CD
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder ITAR would impact all this stuff now..
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 6:20:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Talking to ATF import branch last month when I was in Astan.  They stated I could import C&R to include military as long as it was C&R.  I haven't imported anything on my C&R but back in 88-90' imported lots of guns on Form 6s from West Germany as a individual/servicmember.  Denied was my Webley MkIV and 1939 P08 Luger

CD
View Quote
Man, if I was ever tempted to try to “one piece at a time” something...
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 10:56:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have a importer/exporter, out of Spain I deal with, and he is a FFL here in the US, so he handles both ends but that won't help you for Czech stuff, or I'd shoot you his email.
View Quote
I'll take an FR8.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2018 1:02:33 PM EDT
[#17]
it should be easier.

A gentleman on another forum got a SVD in from Czech Republic and it wasn't hard being only he had to show proof it was in the czech hands for 5 years or more.

I tried to do it from Hungary several SVD's and I have a good importer here to work with me but the way things are done in Hungary was that it was created for domestic civilian use and there wasn't a category to take it out of the country.
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I have one coming minus bolt

He had to get a 10 year letter stating it had been in Spain for 10yrs before the ATF would approve it for import mil weapons are strange to get imported.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll take an FR8.
I have one coming minus bolt

He had to get a 10 year letter stating it had been in Spain for 10yrs before the ATF would approve it for import mil weapons are strange to get imported.
Someone needs to sell Spain about 30,000 Saigas.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top