Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2017 12:09:06 PM EDT
Store owner says it's prohibited.  Not store policy.  He said minors could handle long guns in the presents of a parent or guardian, but not hand guns.  Read the regs and couldn't finds a definitive answer.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:28:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Every state has different laws about minors and guns.
Check your Hometown Forum.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Unless state law explicitly forbids it, minors may use handguns under the supervision of a parent or guardian. With written permission, they can even carry and use handguns under certain circumstances - consult the ATF FAQ.

So unless there's a specific state law in MS forbidding it, owner is a bit of an idiot, but it's still his store, so his policy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#3]
If hes wrong politely point it out once you get a state specific answer. He would sell more letting them handle it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:02:31 PM EDT
[#4]
I actually competed in a IDPA type event at the age of 16 or 17. I wasn't even supervised or  accompanied by a parent for the entire time. I think the rules of the event technically required me to be supervised, but they got to know me after a while and ignored it. I carried a permission letter from my parents which was required by state law. I also open carried a pistol, in a public gravel pit, while target shooting. Later, as a 18-21 year old, I open carried a pistol a few times while hiking/camping alone and with friends.

Lots of strange half baked legal interpretations seem to float around the firearms community

ETA: All of this happened in WA during the early 2000's.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 1:07:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Some can handle them pretty well.

Tori Nonaka (15) Pro-Am 2010

Jus' Sayin'
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks folks for the input.  The store owned (FFL business store front gun shop) was saying that it was a derivative interpretation of ATF Something about minor couldn't possess a hand gun, therefore, they couldn't handle them in the store.  Kind of like a prohibited person.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks folks for the input.  The store owned (FFL business store front gun shop) was saying that it was a derivative interpretation of ATF Something about minor couldn't possess a hand gun, therefore, they couldn't handle them in the store.  Kind of like a prohibited person.
View Quote
Your FFL needs to read 922(x).
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 6:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
His store his rules, but that does not mean it is a law.  I really wish some of these FFL holders would actually read when they get their license, I read and hear so much bullshit going around that is just not true..
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 10:36:24 PM EDT
[#9]
his store, his rules. You can try explaining once or twice, but after that you are wasting your breath. Go find a better gunshop.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top