Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2020 11:37:49 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Corrosion and pitting I'd say no. Stain only then I'd polish with very fine polishing paper, steel wool, or such to remove the stain.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
One way to know...    is to give it a try after a good session with ScotchBrite and elbow grease...

Cosmetic stains from oxidation used to be a fact of life with carbon steels, but those still worked.

Just a few minutes and the risk of one piece of brass would answer your question definitively.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 2:20:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I would spin polish it with 1000 grit wet/dry paper until all of the corrosion is gone. Since it will be used in a bolt action it won't hurt anything if the case body is .0005" to .001" larger in diameter.

Dies are relatively cheap. Get a new one if it doesn't pan out.

You may be able to have it repaired by the manufacturer, at what cost is the problem.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 3:21:11 PM EDT
[#5]
To my eyes and with your photo, I'd say it is going to be just fine.  

Polish with JB Bore Paste.  It will not cut the steel but will remove corrosion.

Lube a case with Imperial Wax and resize it.  If it works, your die is fine.  If it sticks, you've lost nothing.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 6:19:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Recently got a brand new Dillon 10mm powder funnel with the same issue. Cleaned and used 0 steel wool on it. It may of been fine, yet I couldn't bring myself to trust it. Sent it back for replacement.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top