Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2022 12:07:07 PM EDT
I have a CMP service grade Garand that I acquired via a trade that I am looking to sell. I have not fired it and I believe the original owner did not fire it as well.

I am having a hard time with pricing because I see asking prices all over the place. After looking up the serial number, it looks to be made in 1943. Not sure if stock is original or not.

I had it listed for $1800 but did not even get a nibble. It's at $1700 now. Is that still way too high? Any thoughts?

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems high to me but someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

edit:  I looked it up and the CMP is currently selling rack grades for $650.  Service grade is sold out. Expert grade is running $1100.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:14:09 PM EDT
[#2]
For me it's way overpriced. $1000-$1100 would be good not knowing anything else about the rifle.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:18:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd start at about $1300.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:22:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me it's way overpriced. $1000-$1100 would be good not knowing anything else about the rifle.
View Quote

Nailed it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, kinda as said above, why would I buy OP's "lesser" rifle for $1700, when I could buy an "Expert" grade rifle from CMP, with an "as new" barrel, for a third less, that would ship directly to my house?

IMHO, a service grade needs to be a lower price than a CMP "expert" grade.  YMMV
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I’d have to double check my receipt at home, but I want to say I bought my service grade in 2020 for $850?

Now, the CMP has been sold out of them for a minute, so you can ask for more. And regional prices can vary. But if you’re asking much more than $1K, it’s gotta be in real nice shape for a service. Unfired doesn’t exist with them. You and/or the original not shooting them just means you deprived yourself of fun. Doesn’t add value.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you for all the replies everyone! It's tremendously helpful.

Think I will drop it to $1400 and see how it goes.

Thanks again and have a great week!
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 1:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
1300 in EE should go quick.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Currently, mixmaster service grades with good condition non-pitted receivers sell with in minutes or hours on the CMP forums for $1250-1300. That is a little less than what you could sell the parts for if you parted it out.

You can not compare pricing to current rifles CMP sells. They only offer pitted refinished receivers on rack and expert grades. The condition of rifles on their auctions has also gone south, with auction service grades having deep pitting below the wood. Expert grades are a new barrel and stock on pitted receivers. For a hundred or two more you can find all USGI service grades with no pitting. However, I notice unknowledgeable  buyers buy based on stock condition, not collectibility and overall rifle condition.

Link Posted: 9/6/2022 9:06:26 PM EDT
[#10]
My SG were $650 each M/T @0/0.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Currently, mixmaster service grades with good condition non-pitted receivers sell with in minutes or hours on the CMP forums for $1250-1300. That is a little less than what you could sell the parts for if you parted it out.

You can not compare pricing to current rifles CMP sells. They only offer pitted refinished receivers on rack and expert grades. The condition of rifles on their auctions has also gone south, with auction service grades having deep pitting below the wood. Expert grades are a new barrel and stock on pitted receivers. For a hundred or two more you can find all USGI service grades with no pitting. However, I notice unknowledgeable  buyers buy based on stock condition, not collectibility and overall rifle condition.
View Quote

My three NO-pitted receiver Rack Grades  -  bought between 2010 and 2014 at the North Store and which are all USGI including the wood (and the wood is decent)  -  would fetch at least $1500.00.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 6:16:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out the auction prices at https://centurionauctions.hibid.com/catalog/393063/firearm-auction---military--collector--sporting--tactical/?cpage=11

You can look at past auctions as well on the site to get an idea.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 8:43:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

My three NO-pitted receiver Rack Grades  -  bought between 2010 and 2014 at the North Store and which are all USGI including the wood (and the wood is decent)  -  would fetch at least $1500.00.
View Quote
This.

I have a field grade I bought in 2006.  Due to the comparison with what they're selling now, I could easily have tripled my money if I had wanted to sell it.

Instead I refurbished and rechambered it, and now I shoot it rather than let it be a safe queen.  And I just bought a rack grade with some pitting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I was wrong. September 2020, 2 years ago, service grade for $750.

Muzzle 2+
Throat 3+
Mismatched parts from all over on a Springfield receiver, I believe 1942 if I remember right.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 2:26:17 AM EDT
[#15]
With M1s I’m more of a collector than shooter.  If I’m looking at an M1 to possibly buy I want to see

photos with the serial number, barrel markings, bolt markings, trigger group markings etc.  if you want

top dollar there should be good photos of all the markings.  If your 1943 M1 has its original barrel, bolt,

etc then your price is pretty good.  If the M1 is a total “mix master” then your price is a little high.  A little

research and good photos will help you get the best price.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 2:39:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

With M1s I'm more of a collector than shooter.  If I'm looking at an M1 to possibly buy I want to see

photos with the serial number, barrel markings, bolt markings, trigger group markings etc.  if you want

top dollar there should be good photos of all the markings.  If your 1943 M1 has its original barrel, bolt,

etc then your price is pretty good.  If the M1 is a total "mix master" then your price is a little high.  A little

View Quote

Thanks! This is helpful. I updated my ad to show the serial number as a couple people asked about it. I will research those other markings and better determine what I have.

I lowered my price to $1400 and I am not really getting any traction. I guess it's still too high. Not sure if I want to go below $1200 though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 3:05:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

With M1s I’m more of a collector than shooter.  If I’m looking at an M1 to possibly buy I want to see

etc then your price is pretty good.  If the M1 is a total “mix master” then your price is a little high.  A little

View Quote

Same here. Trigger group components, stock markings and all that
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 7:19:03 AM EDT
[#18]
FWIW OP, I just bought an M1 SA, 6 digit, 1942 production with all year/mfg correct parts (barrel, op rod, trigger, bolt) for $1050.  No arsenal refinish/park.  No pitting or surface rust anywhere. P marked stock. It was a CMP rifle from 4-5 years ago.

I got a friend price on it, but maybe that'll help you.

ETA: He had a 1905 wwii production (stamped 1942) bayonet I bought for 150.  He threw in a 1942 dated motorcycle scabbard.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FWIW OP, I just bought an M1 SA, 6 digit, 1942 production with all year/mfg correct parts (barrel, op rod, trigger, bolt) for $1050.  No arsenal refinish/park.  No pitting or surface rust anywhere. P marked stock. It was a CMP rifle from 4-5 years ago.

ETA: He had a 1905 wwii production (stamped 1942) bayonet I bought for 150.  He threw in a 1942 dated motorcycle scabbard.
View Quote

If the rifle is what you are saying as in all correct for 1942 then you robbed that guy!  Just the correct rear sight alone will fetch $500.  Even more if it's a type I lockbar.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

If the rifle is what you are saying as in all correct for 1942 then you robbed that guy!  Just the correct rear sight alone will fetch $500.  Even more if it's a type I lockbar.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd previously bought a CMP 1911 from him.  He called me out of the blue.

I knew the M1s coming out of the CMP now were not in good shape.  I knew this was purchased some time ago.  I know I don't know much about these rifles.

I paid him because I trusted his opinion.  I knew I'd have a tough time finding one myself.  

I hope I didn't rob him, but he's knowledgeable and he told me I was getting a friend price.

ETA: I intend to post pics on this sub to get educated.  Just haven't had the time.  Should've done it when I had it field stripped.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Did you have success on this rifle?

Reason I am asking is I am in similar situation. (Not a Hijack)
Not sure what’ve I’ve got and have no idea how to take apart the rifle!! I’m concerned with trying to sell a $650 for $1175 and selling a $1175 rifle for $650!!

Where all have you listed your rifle?
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 11:07:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Its super easy to do a basic take down and take pics of what you have and markings. Cock it, pop the TG and pull it apart. Pull recoil spring and then op rod and bolt. No need to really go further until you see what you have at that point.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top