Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2021 8:44:21 AM EDT
I am trying to make this simple.  In the past, I have sent any Form 1 to my County police chief,  but ATF instructions say I can send to State Police.  Is this true if I have a local PD or Sheriff?

Per ATF instructions:

“The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the state police, state or local district attorney or prosecutor.”
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#1]
First, counties in PA don't have a Police Chief, unless you were referring to the Philadelphia Police Chief. In the world of NFA, words matter.

To make it simple, pick one of those people per the ATF instructions and send the CLEO forms. I pick the Head of the State Police. In the past, they have forwarded the paperwork to ATF with an angry letter saying they don't know what to do with them. I don't care, not my problem.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 10:55:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I am trying to make this simple.  In the past, I have sent any Form 1 to my County police chief,  but ATF instructions say I can send to State Police.  Is this true if I have a local PD or Sheriff?

Per ATF instructions:

“The chief law enforcement officer is the local chief of police, county sheriff, head of the state police, state or local district attorney or prosecutor.”
View Quote

Yes. The only caveat is that the CLEO that you choose needs to have jurisdiction over the area where you reside. So you can't send the forms to a neighboring city police chief that doesn't have jurisdiction over your area.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Can CLEO in all cases be head of state police ?

Per ATF instructions:

View Quote
View Quote

How is this a question?
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 12:21:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Because he wants to make sure he's not going to have some ATF issue later, and wanted to verify.

Don't be such an ass.  Either help people here or keep quiet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because he wants to make sure he's not going to have some ATF issue later, and wanted to verify.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Yet the instructions (that the OP posted) clearly state who can receive the CLEO notification.

Don't be such an ass.  Either help people here or keep quiet.

I'm not being an ass. If I wanted to be an ass I could point out the uselessness of YOUR post.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:28:55 PM EDT
[#6]
So what, he just asked for confirmation of that.  People want to be sure of things for NFA items.

No one is impressed by your too cool for school act.  Either help people who ask questions here or keep quiet.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So what, he just asked for confirmation of that.  People want to be sure of things for NFA items.

No one is impressed by your too cool for school act.  Either help people who ask questions here or keep quiet.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

How is this a question?
View Quote
I get your point, and I sympathize, but I have heard a complete moron argue fervently that the instructions mean you must work your way up the chain, i.e. if you have a Chief of Police, it must go there.  If not, then to the Sheriff.  If not, then...and so on.  Stupid argument, but there was no moving this guy off that rock.  

I guess not everyone immediately realizes it's "Pick one from this list."
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I get your point, and I sympathize, but I have heard a complete moron argue fervently that the instructions mean you must work your way up the chain, i.e. if you have a Chief of Police, it must go there.  If not, then to the Sheriff.  If not, then...and so on.  Stupid argument, but there was no moving this guy off that rock.  

View Quote

I asked "how is this a question?" because the OP literally posted the answer to his own question.

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:27:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I asked "how is this a question?" because the OP literally posted the answer to his own question.

View Quote
I know, but it was clear he was questioning the Boolean "or" operator.  Or it certainly seemed that way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 4:45:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nothing wrong with getting confirmation from people who may be more experienced with the process.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 5:58:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nothing wrong with getting confirmation from people who may be more experienced with the process.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/19/2021 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks.  That was, indeed, my question.  If one has a local CLEO, must he use that one or can one default to the State Police.

I get it, words have meaning, so looks like I can choose.  I was also in the midst of writing a “how to” prepare a Form 1, and got stuck on this.  What works in PA may not work in NV, but every state must have a State Police Chief.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 11:57:54 PM EDT
[#15]
I send mine to the attorney general of the state I reside, never an issue
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top