Attachment Attached File

Plus these. Red Dot feels full.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/3/2021 1:48:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 3:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Provided it hasn’t deteriorated, I would use it, BUT:

- almost any similar burn rate powder is better than old Unique.  It’s filthy, smokey, temp sensitive, and position sensitive.

It is better than black powder, but not by much.  Cast bullets are about all I would use it for.  

Still - with supplies being what they are these days, that’s a nice haul, OP.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 9:25:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd use it all provided it isn't degraded,  But I disagree with the disparagement of Unique.  Sure, I'd never claim it was the cleanest powder or anything, but I use a lot of it, and other similar powders like Herco.

They work fine for range loads for 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, etc.

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 1:19:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Unique does best in hotter loads.  With such loads, it burns far more completely with almost no soot.  This applies to both old and “new” Unique.

I agree; if it’s not deteriorated, shoot that stuff.

It’s not that long ago that I finished my pound of Unique in the same container as the one in the middle of your picture.  Good stuff.

Yes, there are “better” powders, but Unique can work pretty well in such a wide variety of applications that, as long as you’re ok with a little soot, it’s worth having around.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 9:49:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Opened the oldest one. Looks and smells good.

The way you open and close the cap is interesting.  Just push the top like a button and it pops.  To close squeeze the sides of the cap.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Unique is one of my go to powders for .45 and .38 special.  Has been for just over 40 years.

That and Bullseye.

A few years back I found some 20 plus year old powder in a cabinet in my attic.  Used all of except the IMR4350 (don't load 180 grain .30-06 much these days).
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#7]
I still have a few of the IMR cans and one of the old Unique like the middle of your pic. I still expect to shoot the Unique under cast 44 mag bullets.
Link Posted: 5/9/2021 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Old lol. I have 2 of these cans unopened from an estate sale. I would use it but I am flush on 7lbs of IMR PB. Dirty but shoots fine. I've used it for 45ACP.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 8:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Load it, then sell me the metal cans cheap!  

Have a matching old bullseye can already, I used that powder without problem.

I like unique, can load tons of different rounds with it.  Just dislike how it doesn’t meter as well thru the powder measure.  I find myself using easier to meter powders, and so my large stock of Unique does not seem to be affected...and I have a lot.  Terrible problem to have I know.
Link Posted: 5/13/2021 6:06:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Used one of those 13oz square cans of Unique, price tag said $3.29.

Loaded some .30-30 worked fine

What time frame are those little cans from?
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 2:27:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 5/14/2021 3:09:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a can of the middle Unique that I used for 44 Special. The rest is going into  20 gauge hulls for some magnum action.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top