Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2018 10:39:57 PM EDT
Currently have the ATPIAL-C on all my NV firearms (14.5" AR, B&T APC9), but am in the process of building another SBR. I will admit the ATPIAL has been good to me with some night shoots and hunting, and hopefully some night courses as well, but the MAWL has me intrigued. Any of you who have used/owned both care to weigh in? How advantageous is it? Worth the price tag? I could find little to no info on this after searching. What say you?
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:46:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I can only offer the observations of a relatively new MAWL owner, coming from using DBAL-I2s and DBAL-A3s (and an ATPIAL just once). In my limited comparisons so far, the MAWL has the easiest user interface to learn and use. It's kind of like the iPhone of laser/illuminators. It's modular design makes it the best for lefties and allows for possible future upgrades with just a switch out of the head unit. The illumination of the MAWL is clearer and has more useful modes than the DBALS in my view. That said, I have much more shooting to do with the MAWL before I can opine anything more definitely.

Take a look at Augee's recent post in the following thread for some relevant thoughts on the MAWL from a SME.

Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics also has an informative video that touches on this as well.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#2]
MAWL owner here.  I run it on several SBRs and PCCs and would buy it again in a heartbeat.  No white light but I have removed MROs from a number of SBR/PCC platforms and just run them as "flat-tops" at night with NV.  Visible green during the day works very well.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:19:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I can only offer the observations of a relatively new MAWL owner, coming from using DBAL-I2s and DBAL-A3s (and an ATPIAL just once). In my limited comparisons so far, the MAWL has the easiest user interface to learn and use. It's kind of like the iPhone of laser/illuminators. It's modular design makes it the best for lefties and allows for possible future upgrades with just a switch out of the head unit. The illumination of the MAWL is clearer and has more useful modes than the DBALS in my view. That said, I have much more shooting to do with the MAWL before I can opine anything more definitely.

Take a look at Augee's recent post in the following thread for some relevant thoughts on the MAWL from a SME.

Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics also has an informative video that touches on this as well.
View Quote
Links noted. Will read. Thanks for your input. I've been through an I2 and A3, but moved on to the ATPIAL due to ergonomics and height in reference to BUIS.

Quoted:
MAWL owner here.  I run it on several SBRs and PCCs and would buy it again in a heartbeat.  No white light but I have removed MROs from a number of SBR/PCC platforms and just run them as "flat-tops" at night with NV.  Visible green during the day works very well.
View Quote
Thanks a lot for the info. Do you find that you save a lot of room on the top of the rail? Right now I'm pretty invested in the setup I have: ATPIAL and M300V, using a Unity Microhub 2.0 and light wing adaptor with their BUIS, and both routed to a TAPS Pro. This takes up a lot of space, but it works well and I'm used to it. From the looks of it, I could definitely save some room with the MAWL.

Would you see the need for a pressure switch hooked up to the MAWL, or just for white light? How well has its integrated switches been working? I've heard great things about its VIS laser. What's the practical range outdoors in daylight? Indoors with medium light? Is there a point where it becomes over-powered? I've never really used the VIS laser on any of my ATPIALs, other than WOWing lady friends I take to shoot, for obvious reasons. The idea of having a more useful one is a definite plus.

I would love to justify the MAWL, I really would. I'm just trying to figure out if it would be worth the money invested and changing setups. I fear, though it's not really a bad fear, that if I picked one up I would be thoroughly impressed. The issue here is I like all my stuff to be standardized, if possible and within reason, and if it's as impressive as most say it is, I'm looking at multiple changes and another MAWL for my APC9. They are my two go-to's. I'm also not sure if it would fit on my APC9, I had to do some filing off of the ATPIAL, one of the small nubs that secure the laser filter, to fit on the side panel, it has quite the blocky hand guard.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:19:43 AM EDT
[#4]
It kicks the fuck out of everything else for the above mentioned reasons.

Having said that I personally am having trouble justifying the extra $1500 over my dbal d2. If I continually found myself on the two way range in dynamic conditions I’d have one in a heartbeat.

But for just farting around the d2’s illuminator is close enough and I don’t “need” all of the bells and whistles.

I will eventually own one though. I shouldn’t have tried one lol.

Edit: I see you’re concerned about space. I have a d2 and an Arisaka 600 and a TAPS on my 10.5 AR. I have no complaints but the D2 is rather bulky. I can see how it’s size mightvturn some people off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I've also been looking closely at the MAWL.

Does it have a constant on feature?

Does the IR illuminator have a visible red glow like other IR illuminators?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:48:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It kicks the fuck out of everything else for the above mentioned reasons.

Having said that I personally am having trouble justifying the extra $1500 over my dbal d2. If I continually found myself on the two way range in dynamic conditions I’d have one in a heartbeat.

But for just farting around the d2’s illuminator is close enough and I don’t “need” all of the bells and whistles.

I will eventually own one though. I shouldn’t have tried one lol.

Edit: I see you’re concerned about space. I have a d2 and an Arisaka 600 and a TAPS on my 10.5 AR. I have no complaints but the D2 is rather bulky. I can see how it’s size mightvturn some people off.
View Quote
That's the boat I'm in. All my NV rifles have ATPIALs, but I'm building another and was just thinking about trying the "next best thing". I also don't necessarily "need" all the best, but then again, I don't "need" NV to begin with. So there's that.

I make due with the setup I have, but I have no top rail left to spare almost. It all works very well in conjunction with each other, but the question is do I ditch the setup I own and normally use to spend more and try something different and see how it goes?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:50:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've also been looking closely at the MAWL.

Does it have a constant on feature?

Does the IR illuminator have a visible red glow like other IR illuminators?
View Quote
IIRC it's the same double-tap for constant on like other devices, and I haven't read any reports about a visible glow with the IR illuminator.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#8]
That's all good to hear.

I might end up picking one up a MAWL in the near feature.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 4:31:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
That's all good to hear.

I might end up picking one up a MAWL in the near feature.
View Quote
LOL, make that distant future.  Ive been looking for months.  May just get a couple more D2's.  I was hitting hogs at 150+ yards from the hip with WP sents and my dbal d2 300blk .

Or, maybe some have more info on where one can actually purchace a mawl
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:27:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We offer the Black and FDE MAWLS C1+ on our web site and have since the program was first announced.
View Quote
How long will they be in stock? How do you guys currently run a MAWL and white light?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 7:33:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How long will they be in stock? How do you guys currently run a MAWL and white light?
View Quote
What white light do you have now?

Edit: x300 you say. That’s more for a hand gun correct?  Not that it can’t be used on a rifle. Hmmm, not sure on that one since iirc they are fatter  than a scout.

Someone else is going to gave to chime in. To be honest I’d probably dump the x300 and get a scout 3 or 600 or an Arisaka 3 or 600. Those will fit up nice and tight with a MAWL.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:28:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Just get the MAWL and be a happy camper, puts everything else to shame.

Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:18:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

What white light do you have now?

Edit: x300 you say. That’s more for a hand gun correct?  Not that it can’t be used on a rifle. Hmmm, not sure on that one since iirc they are fatter  than a scout.

Someone else is going to gave to chime in. To be honest I’d probably dump the x300 and get a scout 3 or 600 or an Arisaka 3 or 600. Those will fit up nice and tight with a MAWL.
View Quote
Brain wasn't working. It is a scout 300V, not the x300.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:20:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Can't argue with that!
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:45:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

We offer the Black and FDE MAWLS C1+ on our web site and have since the program was first announced.
View Quote
ok, so in stock to get this week.  If so, i'm in.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#17]
If you have a need to switch from a narrow long throw to a wide short throw in the shortest amount of time possible the MAWL is for you. If you can live with going from a high power long throw to a low shorter throw with the same size beam by rotating a knob that takes a second more than the MAWL, save 1500 and buy a D2.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:43:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you have a need to switch from a narrow long throw to a wide short throw in the shortest amount of time possible the MAWL is for you. If you can live with going from a high power long throw to a low shorter throw with the same size beam by rotating a knob that takes a second more than the MAWL, save 1500 and buy a D2.
View Quote
Didn't know what you were talking about until I looked this up. Just read the function sheet on B.E. website. Impressive. May be sold on it...
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:58:36 AM EDT
[#19]
@TNVC

Can a TAPS hook up to the MAWL?

ETA, yes it does. Still have the tan ones in stock? PMed.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Perfect explanation.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 12:04:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Love my MAWL. It has great features, incredible illumination and have I  no regrets purchasing it. There is one just listed the EE for a discount.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:17:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Love my MAWL. It has great features, incredible ilumination and have I  no regrets purchasing it. There is one just listed the EE for a discount.
View Quote
It’s gone. 9minded got it. Wonder if he is going to auction it lol
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 6:26:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It’s gone. 9minded got it. Wonder if he is going to auction it lol
View Quote
Well shit, these are unobtanium at the moment. I keep getting told eight weeks for the next shipment
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top