Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/19/2021 9:37:14 PM EDT
I am having a problem getting my CZ70 to actually work. Don't know if it is the gun, the retard behind the gun, or a combo.

Last year or sometime then I bought one of the centerfire arms CZ70 pistols they put up. Love the little gun. Have wanted one for years and always missed out. Wasn't going to this time. Get it, looks fantastic but 32acp wasn't the easiest to find locally. So clean it, grease it up, and put it up.

Flash to today. Have some euro spec S&B black and gold box 32 and free time. Try to shoot it today, can't get it to feed. The slide is getting "stuck" when trying to load a round. Doesn't matter if the magazine is fully loaded or a single round. It also jams up differently depending on how it is loaded.

Slide locked back, I put a single round in the magazine, then pull the slide back and release it. It feeds, but gets "stuck "part way thru. The slide actually locks up and needs to be forced open. But the round will eject when that happens.

Figured I was a dumbass and there is a bit of cosmoline or whatever preservative was originally on it, dried in the chamber that I forgot to clean off. Take it apart. Nothing. So I took the round that jammed up and was able to drop it in the chamber to double check that it actually fit, no problem. So I put it back together and put a round in the chamber and try to close the slide. Nope! The slide can close more but the round wouldn't extract when drawn back.

I potentially did something to this gun to fuck it up. But I can't figure out what. When together it cycles smoothly with no ammo. Trying to cycle it slowly with a round it seems to hang up and drag on the hold open latch/lever. I did note there where a bunch of gouges in the barrel hood. I don't know if it came like that or I did it with retard strength when unjamming it.

Hate to think I fucked up a gun of mine. Hopefully it is nothing too bad. Thanks to anyone who knows more then me.
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 6:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What magazine were you trying to use?

How did the barrel get that banged up?

Your best be right now would be get it to a smith that is familiar with the CZ50/70s.

Or sell it.

Good luck

jcd
Link Posted: 3/20/2021 7:18:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Something is very different about your slide lock lever tab.  Mine is a flat protrusion that rests in a recessed stamped area of the magazine follower.

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 12:31:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Something is very different about your slide lock lever tab.  Mine is a flat protrusion that rests in a recessed stamped area of the magazine follower.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/9279/5dM1zL.jpg
View Quote

Weird, my magazine doesn't have that flat, and it is the original magazine to the gun.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 10:31:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve got the same issue with my CZ 70, it won’t feed. Mine isn’t mangled, but I cleared the pistol, and put it away. One day I’ll but the pistol in a vise, and try lapping compound to see if I can open up the chamber just a bit.

I bought several brands of .32, nothing worked.

Keep us posted.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Just curious if the breech face is rough?  If it were it might not allow the case to slide vertically behind the extractor and cause the case to wedge itself in the chamber cockeyed and thus not let the slid move forward.  The same tilted case condition may also happen if the .32 acp rim is tight behind the extractor.

Not that I have inspected many of the CZ 70 pistols, but, the beating the rear of the barrel is taking would be cause for concern if it were mine.  A picture of the underside of the slide and breech face might be interesting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 11:20:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just curious if the breech face is rough?  If it were it might not allow the case to slide vertically behind the extractor and cause the case to wedge itself in the chamber cockeyed and thus not let the slid move forward.  The same tilted case condition may also happen if the .32 acp rim is tight behind the extractor.

Not that I have inspected many of the CZ 70 pistols, but, the beating the rear of the barrel is taking would be cause for concern if it were mine.  A picture of the underside of the slide and breech face might be interesting.
View Quote

I never saw this post till now. I will have to get some pictures in the morning but from memory, the breechface and the underside of the slide are both in good condition. That is also what makes me scratch my head over the top of the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 9:19:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Any update on your pistol?
Link Posted: 5/16/2021 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry about that. Had some phone issues and completely forgot to take the pictures of the gun.

https://imgur.com/a/HQmwd8J

Quoted:
Any update on your pistol?
View Quote

I haven't done anything personally. Just trying this do research on what could be causing this. But had some other things come up lately.

Edit:
You never realize how dirty your gun is until you try to take a picture of it with a macro lens.
Link Posted: 6/16/2021 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Still haven't figured out what could be wrong. Have been googling and haven't seen an issue like mine before. Probably should have also posted in the CZ subfourm as well.
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 6/17/2021 9:37:57 AM EDT
[#11]
slide spring?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:27:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If the rounds don't drop into the chamber freely with the slide off the chamber is too tight.

A good gunsmith can either ream the chamber or polish it up enough to work.

I'm guessing there had been a round stuck in the chamber and someone was trying to pry it out. That's why the breach face is mangled.

ETA: And if the rounds drop in and fall out of the chamber freely, then there is another possibility.

It could be that the breach face on the slide is not machined concentric with the bore. This would cause the slide to bind up during the feed cycle.
View Quote

The rounds drop in and out of the chamber freely. If there a way I can measure to see if the breech face isn't concentric?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I think I may have discovered something. To see it chamber slowly, I removed the recoil spring and reassembled the gun. Trying to slowly chamber a round while looking in the ejection port shows the round getting picked up and starting to slide up the breech face then getting stopped by the extractor. I think the extractor is frozen in place. Anyone know how to remove the extractor?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:45:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 5:52:16 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a breakdown of the CZ 50 if you want, I can send it to you.
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 7:27:54 PM EDT
[#16]
I appreciate everyone's help so far. It means alot since this gun means alot! But life has just gotten crazy and in the middle of that I noticed my bit and punches seemed to have grown legs. I will updates as I get those and can do a proper tear down.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 6:22:56 AM EDT
[#17]
There could be a number of possible issues with the extractor.  The easiest to address without removing the extractor is the possibility that it is frozen in place by the lubricant used and a period of non-use.  Some oils are non-gumming others tend to gum and can act as if it is an adhesive and hold things as if glued in place.  A solvent and perhaps some judicious movement of the extractor back and forth and time in an ultrasonic cleaner followed by some non-gumming lubricant will get your extractor functioning normally again.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#18]
FWIW, Centerfire is selling CZ 50/70 barrels for $20 right now. Described as "used, very good", I assume they're takeoffs.
CZ 50/70 barrel
Not that it's the cause of OP's problem, but for $20, it doesn't hurt to have an extra.
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 4:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]
With a replacement barrel you will have to form the feed ramp.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
FWIW, Centerfire is selling CZ 50/70 barrels for $20 right now. Described as "used, very good", I assume they're takeoffs.
CZ 50/70 barrel
Not that it's the cause of OP's problem, but for $20, it doesn't hurt to have an extra.
View Quote

They are $50, not $20 unfortunately. But a good idea if I need it. Let's just hope I don't need it. I don't think there are any gun smiths locally I trust to press out the barrel and press in the new one.

Quoted:
With a replacement barrel you will have to form the feed ramp.
View Quote

Shouldn't be that hard! Just need to make sure I have my gunsmith approved trusty Dremel and some beer.
Link Posted: 8/29/2021 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Barrel is held in by a pin. I've swapped out two with no problems.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 2:22:41 PM EDT
[#22]
I thought this got archived as I couldn't reply. Turns out I am just an idiot as I wasn't logged in.

But I have been working on the extractor. 50/50 results. It seems to have helped, but not solve it all the way. It still happens like before some times, so I think it is still getting caught and not wanting to move. At this point I think it's the extractor getting caught and a combination of the magazine spring and the recoil spring being worn, possibly. Because I noticed some times the spring pressure on the cartridges in the magazine was weak at times. An in trying to find a recoil spring I found people with the similar jams

So I ordered a Wolff CZ50 magazine spring and a Walther PP recoil spring, hopefully it fits. Trying to find an ejector spring as well, possibly even a new ejector.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 5:43:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Thanks for the subgunner link! I haven't seen that in years! That was the article/post that I discovered the CZ70 and I have wanted one since.

I actually did get a extra power recoil spring from Wolff. But I don't know if I got a strong enough one as it feels the same as the factory one that was in it.

The one thing that is annoying me is none of the guides that show how to disassemble the magazine seem to be working with this one. It is being all sorts of special.

Maybe it is the idiot trying to work on it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top