Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/6/2022 10:12:54 PM EDT
I am torn between replacing my previous Scorpion EVO S1 with another one or spending a bit more to pick up a MP-5 clone. I plan to shoot whatever I buy with and without a suppressor.

Scorpion mags are cheaper and so is everything else Scorpion. On the other hand, while MP-5 mags and parts are more expensive, the trigger is usually better than a standard Scorpion’s IMO. Both the MKE and PTR  can be suppressed without an adapter. I realize that Scorpions can blow up, but that doesn’t happen often. There seems to be a lot more quality control issues with PTR clones, however, MKE clones have been noted as having issues too.

At this point, I am torn on what to do.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:29:59 PM EDT
[#1]
You just have to figure out which one tickles your taint more.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both. If I could only have one it would be the MP-5 and I wouldn’t even miss the scorpion.
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Mp5 for me hands down. Evo is just a cheap wannabe copy
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 10:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
For my MP-5 lovers, which brand did you choose?
Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:08:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't think you'll find many people who truly love their Scorpion. It's like a Glock, but for Sub Guns. Perfectly functional, price is right, aftermarket support, etc. But what's special about it?

The MP5 is iconic and for good reason. Imo nothing can replicate it.

Especially if this is a range toy...buy what makes you happy. I'd bet dollars to dimes it's the roller lock.

ETA: ot the question above, PTR. It's been flawless

Link Posted: 4/6/2022 11:16:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Scorpions feel like cheap plastic kids toys. This is magnified 100 fold when compared to MP5’s.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
i have both. got the scorpion evo carbine when they first came out. like it well enough. nothing wrong with it at all but only got it cause i couldn't justify the funds for a mp5 or clone.

got a century ap-5 a few months ago. runs just fine never have had issues with it.  like it better than the scorpion. haven't touched the scorpion since i got the ap-5.

been debating on if i wanna sell the scorpion or not. still haven't decided.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:48:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Just something to ponder...

B&T GHM9
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

HK.  Currently only own a SP5K, need a full size.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:48:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Have have both registered & SBR'd.

They are both great but very different animals. The Omega OM9K (MP5K clone) is slightly quieter suppressed because of the delayed blowback, but the Scorpion is pretty darn quiet regardless. The OM9K is much less bulky though. Really I don't know which one I would grab if I had to grad one and head out the door.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:21:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I have been and still am trying to justify an mp5 clone bs a scorpion.  I got one scorpion, liked it enough to grab a backup one.  

The mp5 is better no doubt, but by the time I’m into an mp5 and 15 mags, for the money, I could have 2 more scorpions and 30 mags, and that’s only if I get the recently super cheap $1400 century Ap5 s after rebate.

I’ll admit I don’t have much trigger time behind an mp5, and really, the mag price is the only thing keeping me from buying one of the centurys right now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 3:38:26 AM EDT
[#12]
I’ve avoided getting a Scorpion mainly due to long term platform parts availability, I’d lean towards the MP5 clone for that reason alone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:52:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the CZ, an SP5, and more recently an AP5-P.  You cant go wrong with any in all honesty.  However, the current $200 rebate makes the AP5-P the right choice IF you want to go roller locker.   Its an iconic platform built to the MP5 TDP.  

But I still have plenty of love in my heart for the CZ.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#14]
MP5 all day.

I have an SBRd and suppressed Scorpion and the MP5 absolutely blows it away
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 9:22:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Have both. Easy choice, Mp5.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:10:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Started with a Zenith (MKE), but once HK came out with the SP5, I got one of those too.  If I had known that HK was coming out with one, I would have waited.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#17]
I have the MKE made MP5.  It’s made on HK tooling and mine has been flawless with one minor caveat.  

The last round sometimes fails to feed when using the MKE magazines and some types of hollow points.  The MKE magazines are flawless with around nose FMJs.  In contrast the HK magazines have been flawless with everything I have put through them.   Consequently, I have the two original MKE magazines and five HK magazines.

I added an SB Tactical brace, a newer style forearm, a Franklin binary trigger in a navy style trigger housing with modified selector levers, and a Holosun 507C sight.  A Caldwell rail mounted brass catcher intended for an AR-15 works great on it.

It’s just about perfect.  As someone noted above the delayed blowback design will suppress better, but it’s also much smoother shooting than a blowback operated 9mm PDW.

Accuracy isn’t on par with my Colt 6450, or my 8” 9mm AR braced pistol.  Both will hold 4” groups at 200 yards with 115 gr XTPs, while the MP5 has more minute of man 12” accuracy at that range.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 12:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]
As much as I want to, I don't, and never have, owned an MP5/clone.  I can tell you that as much as I do like my Scorpion, it's generally unremarkable.  *Especially* in stock configuration.  I had to put money into nearly every area on it to get it up to a point where I really like it, and even then it feels a bit... lacking, I guess.

Don't get me wrong, I really like it and I wouldn't get rid of it. But not even owning an MP5, or even a clone of one, I can say it's no MP5/clone.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Own an MP5 and have owned a Scorpion previously.  I try to be unbiased on guns as a lot of people tend to talk about their favorite with rose tinted glasses.  They have their trade-offs.  The roller delayed system of the MP5 is better and leads to a much smoother shooting gun.  It's also iconic and is still in heavy use today which speaks volumes to how timeless the gun is.

That said the Scorpion has better ergonomics, is cheaper, just as accurate, more modular, and arguably has better aftermarket support.  The MP5 isn't lacking in aftermarket support at all, I just feel there is more stuff out there for the Scorpion.

In terms of shooting them I enjoy the MP5 more.  Both are very reliable weapon systems.  In terms of configuring the gun to how you want it you can do a lot more with the Scorpion than the MP5.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 2:08:23 PM EDT
[#20]
I own a Scorpion and agree that it is very boring and unremarkable. I seriously thought about an MP5 clone when I was shopping for a 9mm PCC, but then I realized what a niche role this gun was going to play for me. At the end of the day, the Scorpion effectively checked the 9mm PCC box, and I’m saving a good chunk of money while only giving up the quality steel construction and lower recoil of the MP5. And the Scorpion has easy optics mounting and a BHO/release which is a big plus.

If I could easily afford an MP5 clone and accessorize it, there would be no question, but I’m just trying to afford ammo these days.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:33:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a regular Scorpion (SBR) and the Scorpion Micro (with brace).  I also have a Zenith (MKE) Z5-P.  I like my Scorpions, especially the Micro, but if I had to choose I'd go with the MP5. Go with a Century Arms (MKE) AP5, especially now that they are running the $200 rebate.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Literally went up to Sig on Tuesday, was ready to order an MPX and have it shipped and some weird voice in the back of my head kept saying "dude.... just get the fucking MP5."

So, I bought a few magazines for my MCX instead and am now looking for an MP5.

It's damn near impossible to find an HK, and I know others have asked about other manufacturers, so who really is the best one if I can't get my hands on an HK..... or do I just go buy the MPX?

Help me Jesus.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 7:54:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Literally went up to Sig on Tuesday, was ready to order an MPX and have it shipped and some weird voice in the back of my head kept saying "dude.... just get the fucking MP5."

It's damn near impossible to find an HK, and I know others have asked about other manufacturers, so who really is the best one if I can't get my hands on an HK..... or do I just go buy the MPX?

Help me Jesus.
View Quote

The Century Arms AP5 is an MP5 made by MKE on HK tooling.   It’s a high quality firearm imported by CAI, but thankfully left unmolested by the angry beavers at CAI.

By importing it as a pistol they avoid the 913(r) restrictions on rifles and they can import it with a standard rather than 16” barrel.  Add an SB tactical brace or SBR it after you own it.  

They also shoot surprisingly well using a sling to restrain the pistol as you press it away from you.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 8:07:20 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

The Century Arms AP5 is an MP5 made by MKE on HK tooling.   It’s a high quality firearm imported by CAI, but thankfully left unmolested by the angry beavers at CAI.

By importing it as a pistol they avoid the 913(r) restrictions on rifles and they can import it with a standard rather than 16” barrel.  Add an SB tactical brace or SBR it after you own it.  

They also shoot surprisingly well using a sling to restrain the pistol as you press it away from you.

View Quote

Appreciate this input. My FFL will take any transfer for me and I'm lucky enough to be able to get anything I want here in Mass because of LE. I'll put some good looks into that AP5-P and I hear they're doing a $200 rebate also?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 6:59:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Help me Jesus.
View Quote

Get both.
I own multiple MP5’s and MPX’s and I prefer shooting the MPX’s more.  They shoot just a little smoother than my MP5’s and I just like having LRBHO.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#26]
The HK SP5 has some internal operating system improvements, & is undoubtedly sewing machine smooth, but dat price.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:00:19 PM EDT
[#27]
U guys are costing me $$$
Have a CZ
have not even shot my GHM9 yet
Ordered a AP5-P now.....
Where to get good quality mags for the AP5-P Atlantic is out?
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:33:09 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
U guys are costing me $$$
Have a CZ
have not even shot my GHM9 yet
Ordered a AP5-P now.....
Where to get good quality mags for the AP5-P Atlantic is out?
View Quote

Robertrtg has MKE for $50. If you're near snohomish county, throw a mp5k handguard with vfg on your order for me,  because their shipping fees are ridiculous
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:39:59 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

dakota tactical
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 3:53:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I looked a Scorpions and shot one.
Just never felt the love.

I could spend all day shooting MP5s, and mine aren’t even full auto.

I have a full size POF, and a PTR 9KT which is the K sized gun.
One has a binary trigger which doubles the giggle factor.
If I could only keep one it would be the full sized.

My PTR had to go back to the factory but they got it back to me quickly and it’s run like a top ever since.
They both love my YHM R9 suppressor.

If you want to use optics I would go with the PTR. The add-on rail doesn’t do it for me.
If you want classic MP5 looks go MKE or go H&K for top quality.

I have seen a real uptick in problem reports on the MKE guns.
Maybe because so many have been sold now?
I don’t think you get nearly the quality of customer service with MKE that you do with PTR.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 10:30:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
MP5 all day.

I have an SBRd and suppressed Scorpion and the MP5 absolutely blows it away
View Quote

Agree, in addition i have a ptr and an MKE, ptr a little nicer but the tri lug is out of speccsnd I cannot get a hold of PTR to get it fixed.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:14:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Thanks guys, I found a good deal on a used PTR with a brace
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:35:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Completely different guns, CZ cannot be a cheap knockoff they dont have the same action.  I have an SBR'd scorpion with a binary and i love it.  

Scorpion aftermarket is good to go as well.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 11:46:23 PM EDT
[#34]
Have a Scorpion and think it’s really good for the money plus good affordable magazines. Considered adding an HK because I shoot suppressed. Hesitant to get an HK copy even it’s an official MKE made gun. Would really like an SP5 but the prices are very high plus the mags are expensive. If the HK SP5 used less expensive mags, would probably do it. But I just can’t have a couple mags, need 10 to 20 and that adds up. I’m probably going to get a B&T GHM9 Glock mag lower and get the integral suppressor.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:06:46 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:Hesitant to get an HK copy even it’s an official MKE made gun.
View Quote

I mean unless you just really need to pay extra for the rollmark I am not sure why you are against the copies?  Ron at Battlefield Vegas said they run genuine HK MP5s, MKE MP5s, and a few others.  He said in terms of reliability they all run the same and have the same part breakages at the same round count intervals.   The only ones with major issues according to him were some Coharie models and I think one batch of POF guns. The HK doesn't outperform the clones.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 12:26:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I have both. If I could only have one it would be the MP-5 and I wouldn’t even miss the scorpion.
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 2:06:08 AM EDT
[#37]
I've shot a semi-auto Scorpion, MP5, Uzi, and UMP.  

They were all great, except the Scorpion.
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:07:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Attachment Attached File

I have nothing bad to say about the Scorpions that I used to have, but the MP5 is is by far and away the better shooter. Suppressed its much quieter as well
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 2:14:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I mean unless you just really need to pay extra for the rollmark I am not sure why you are against the copies?  Ron at Battlefield Vegas said they run genuine HK MP5s, MKE MP5s, and a few others.  He said in terms of reliability they all run the same and have the same part breakages at the same round count intervals.   The only ones with major issues according to him were some Coharie models and I think one batch of POF guns. The HK doesn't outperform the clones.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:Hesitant to get an HK copy even it’s an official MKE made gun.

I’m not against the copies, just a little suspicious. Recently handled an MKE K model and did like it.
The Battlefield Vegas info is interesting.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Mp5 for me hands down. Evo is just a cheap wannabe copy
View Quote

Of course that’s nonsense. If CZ was a “wannabe” they’d have skipped integrating modern features like integral rails and LRBHO.

Blowback operation sucks compared to roller locking when it comes to felt recoil and absolute quiet suppression but beyond that, the MP5 is a relic.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#41]
I have an EVO and a POF.
EVO is pretty boring compared to the MP5.

This lowly POF has ran like a top.
Zero issues.
Could have a prettier finish.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 12:51:08 AM EDT
[#42]
For the price? Evo hands down
For the features? Evo again
For the cool factor? Mp5
For the recoil? Mp5 but hey we’re still taking about 9mm…

The Mp5 is the AK of the Pcc world…. Rugged & reliable… but the Evo is definitely a more modern platform.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#43]
I agree with the HK being a great gun,having the cool factor and probably a smoother shooter but the EVO is no slouch. I have had a couple copies of the HK mp5 and was not impressed and an UZI Model A, which was a heavy beast for 9mm.  My Coharie was hit or miss and I hate to say, I owned a Vulcan clone-which is really only a cosmetic clone as it does not have the roller-delayed mechanism. Both of those were garbage and I bought them when they were new to the market. I recently debated on getting another clone but after having issue with those prior, even if not a good representation of clones, I have a couple friends that own other clones -(Zenith,POF) and they had similar issues- feeding issues, failure to extract, parts alignment/fitment issues,etc..

If I were going to spend the money for a MP5 or clone, I would just bite the bullet and get the real  thing-an actual HK SP5. That way there are no surprises and you get the quality right off the bat and more than likely won't have any issues. The downside of getting a clone, although many state they work fine, there are lemons out there and I seem to find them.

For me, the price of extra mags was also  a factor, as I don't have any confidence in aftermarket HK mags and HK mags are easily $90 or more, for the most part. After researching what my needs/wants were, I bought a NIB CZ EVO pistol, as the price I paid for it was an amazingly great deal-about $740 otd from a local dealer. Mags are pretty cheap-$20 for factory mags and the recoil is not bad at all for a 9mm out of a large gun. There is a ton of aftermarket support and parts are inexpensive. In full auto or burst, I can see the roller-delayed being a better gun but for a semi-auto, I can't see the benefit other than you just want what you want and there is nothing wrong with that either.
Link Posted: 4/14/2022 4:37:06 PM EDT
[#44]
As stated above, I have an Evo, SP5, and AP5-P.  I've also got some limited time behind an MP5 and MP5SD. I get all the talk about "recoil."  But unless you are talking full auto, I don't find it substantially different enough between the roller lockers and the blowback to make THAT much of a difference in these platforms.  

Can you feel a difference if you focus on the difference?  Yes.  But we are talking 9mm semi auto carbines/pistols here.   If you are focusing on your target/course of fire, it really is a nothing-burger.   Recoil would be the last thing on my personal list in terms of decision making.

And perhaps to be even clearer, if it came down to having an SP5 or having both an Evo S1 AND an MKE, I'd get the Evo and MKE without thinking twice.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#45]
Sold my scorpion as soon as I got to the range with my AP5. Then I proceeded to buy an AP5P.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:51:28 AM EDT
[#46]
Mp5k is awesome, but for doing the same job at a better price the evo is solid
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 1:58:49 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Building from a flat.

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:02:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
For the price? Evo hands down
For the features? Evo again
For the cool factor? Mp5
For the recoil? Mp5 but hey we’re still taking about 9mm…

The Mp5 is the AK of the Pcc world…. Rugged & reliable… but the Evo is definitely a more modern platform.
View Quote

It’s not about recoil tolerance but accurately staying on target.  There is a huge difference between the two.    The MP5 vs CZ is like a Ruger 22/45 with cci quiet vs a 3.5in 1911 with +p 230s
   I love the little CZ is cool and I wish there was a delayed bb version
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 3:04:38 AM EDT
[#49]
MP5 over the Scorpion any day.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 8:02:33 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It’s not about recoil tolerance but accurately staying on target.  There is a huge difference between the two.    The MP5 vs CZ is like a Ruger 22/45 with cci quiet vs a 3.5in 1911 with +p 230s
   I love the little CZ is cool and I wish there was a delayed bb version
View Quote

I get what you mean.

I prefer to say the mp5 recoil is better than the Evo rather than saying the Evo recoil is worse the HK.. I consider the evo plenty manageable despite the BB action.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top