Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2021 10:47:58 PM EDT
Got a CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S2 on the way.

I've done enough reading to know a few things about them...

1)  Trigger needs upgraded

2)  The safety digs into your hand

3)  The CZ mags (at least earlier ones) were prone to cracking with time?

Sooo, here are my questions..... I've seen some old issues/complaints about the Magpul magazines, are people still having issues? Or are those mags good to go?

Are the CZ mags still cracking over time when left loaded?..... Just trying to decide which mags to buy before I can't buy any at all.  

Trigger.  Is the HB industries the way to go?  Seems like it from the reviews.  

Safety.  The AK selector for the right side looks.... Well, strange? Out of place?  What combo of selectors are you guys running and liking?  

What else does this thing need, besides a form 4 and a stock?

Ty guys!
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 11:54:46 PM EDT
[#1]
HBI springs are the way to go.  The AK style lever looks cool but I just took a dremel to the ambi safety.  As for mags, I have 8 of the original translucent mags from 2015.  They've all been left loaded and only one has cracked.  The magazine issue seems to have been fixed years ago.  I've also had good luck with the PSA mags, magpul, and the new CZ windowed mags.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:09:16 AM EDT
[#2]
Okay call me cheap but I just used my Dremel tool and took the length off of my safety. I bought a few manticore arms fde mags to go with it. I haven’t had any issues with any of the mags .
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 5:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Never had a problem with  original CZ mags, but the PSA mags with steel lips are the way to go for $14, plus 35 rds vs. 30.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#4]
HBI trigger spring a must and their shoe was a good upgrade as well. The AK safety is really nice but couldn't use it once I installed a binary. Factory and Magpul mags work great.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 7:33:51 AM EDT
[#5]
1) HBI spring kit is cheap and effective. Great value mod.

2) it doesn’t to me. Depends on how you grip the gun. A different grip may solve the issue instead of replacing the safety lever. It a personal preference. I still run OEM grip and safety.

3) gen3 black windowed mags are GTG.

You should consider a larger charging handle instead.. I’m using the HBI ProStock one.. not too large not too small.

The OEM stock is also a perfect match.

Another drop in & cheap mod is the pakse handguard.. cheap and simple..

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:37:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Magpul magazine release, duckbill is a big improvement.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 3:37:12 AM EDT
[#7]
The new generation "windowed" Factory 30rnd mags are great and no cracking of the feed lips. The Magpul 35rnd mags are also really good. I own 4 of each and they have held up 100%. The HBI safety selector is a very nice upgrade. I installed the Midwest Industries hand guard and love it. Another upgrade I did was swap out the factory sights with Troy front and rear battle sights. I tried the HOLOSUN 510C on my Scorpion and it works great. i had it on my IWI TS12 so now I have to buy another.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#8]
For a nice trigger, consider sending your lower to Shooters Element.  They do a wonderful polish job on all the appropriate parts in the trigger pack and can install a new trigger shoe and the HBI spring kit while they're doing it.  I just had them do mine and the difference is significant.  You send them your lower, they do the work, reassemble and ship back to you in about a week.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:53:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Based on my experiences with both pistol and carbine Scorpion:

Trigger - cheap fix is HBi springs kit, however, you get what you pay for. A real fix is the new Timney trigger.

Magazine - CZ black windowed mags a good to go, however, Magpul is cheaper and works just as well.  The PSA AKV magazines are good to go but need minor fitting.  Good thing about the PSA mags is that you can add a +15 rds mag extension.  I've 3 of them with extensions and all worked flawlessly at the last PCC match in AZ.

Safety - Long AK-style on the right side.  Left side is factory.

Grip - Personal preference. I'm still using the factory one in the pistol.  Have not tried the Magpul yet.

Mag release - Larger duckbill style works better but not a necessity.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:44:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Man... You CZ guys are so nice and helpful!

:)   seriously, thanks for all the help

Do you guys have a favorite place to buy the CZ windowd mags thst will work in this Evo 3 S2?

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Fwiw, I like the 20 round mags. I probably use them more than the 30+ mags. Probably just to slow ammo use.
I have factory cz 20, 30’s and window 30’s as well as psa mags. All are trouble free, the psa mags don’t drop free.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 3:40:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Only attempt this if you have the proper training/skill set! I do so I did and I love my CZ trigger now! Took out all the creep, grit, stinginess. Just remember you are polishing not removing heavy amounts of material off of these surfaces! I think I finished with 6000 grit and then polished with jeweler's rouge and then a good metal polish (simichrome, Flitz, etc.). Again, do not attempt this if you aren't 100% comfortable.

Added the HB industries trigger spring which helped as well.

How to do a CZ Scorpion Evo 3 Trigger Job!

How to do a CZ Scorpion Evo 3 Trigger Job!
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:57:11 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with manticore steel lip mags. They were like 13.99 before crazy hit.
And the aluminum PSA drums they werd like 97.99 before crazy hit.

Both work well and so far no problems leaving loaded.
The PSA drums are easy to load and nice thick billet aluminium billet.

Other then stamps it's still OEM

No idea what mags or drums cost today.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I used HBI springs with a shooting sight trigger group and a Yetiworks Blizzard adjustable trigger shoe. Feels better than some of my 2 stage AR triggers now. They're expensive upgrades but worth every penny.  The AK mini safety on both sides is perfect. As for mags, can't go wrong with Magpul or even PSAKV mags.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:28:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For a nice trigger, consider sending your lower to Shooters Element.  They do a wonderful polish job on all the appropriate parts in the trigger pack and can install a new trigger shoe and the HBI spring kit while they're doing it.  I just had them do mine and the difference is significant.  You send them your lower, they do the work, reassemble and ship back to you in about a week.
View Quote
I sent my lower to Shooters Element for a trigger install and polish, and it was came out great.

Link Posted: 2/28/2021 1:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Also, what charging handles are you guys using. I want to upgrade mine.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 4:22:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1 for this.  The trigger job in mine is fantastic.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 11:16:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

HBI for me.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 2:16:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

HBI for me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

HBI for me.

same.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:17:57 PM EDT
[#20]
For me just replacing the CZ OEM Pistol grip with a Magpul PG, completely changed the issue with the CZ OEM right side safety from digging into my hand.

With the Magpul PG, the CZ OEM lever on the safety now just clears my hand/finger. And a better grip angle as well.

I can’t speak to the magazine question. I haven’t had the chance to shoot my scorpion yet. But I did get a few magpul 35 rounders plus I have the CZ clear ones.

I also have a set of Strike Industries safety levers on there way as well. The ones that look like a seesaw.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Got a CZ Scorpion Evo 3 S2 on the way.

I've done enough reading to know a few things about them...

1)  Trigger needs upgraded

2)  The safety digs into your hand

3)  The CZ mags (at least earlier ones) were prone to cracking with time?

Sooo, here are my questions..... I've seen some old issues/complaints about the Magpul magazines, are people still having issues? Or are those mags good to go?

Are the CZ mags still cracking over time when left loaded?..... Just trying to decide which mags to buy before I can't buy any at all.  

Trigger.  Is the HB industries the way to go?  Seems like it from the reviews.  

Safety.  The AK selector for the right side looks.... Well, strange? Out of place?  What combo of selectors are you guys running and liking?  

What else does this thing need, besides a form 4 and a stock?

Ty guys!
View Quote

1. Shootingsight trigger group with Yetiwurks adjustable Avalanche trigger shoe. I have an HBI spring to help lower the weight.

2. HBI AK style levers. I like the mini safeties.

3. Had zero issues with PSA or Magpul

I also use a Thordsten Customs AR-15 pistol grip adapter with a Magpul K2+. My favorite grip by far.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 3:01:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Grab at least one Magpul D-50 drum while the getting is good
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Trigger- Timney Two Stage.  Crisp, light, and easy to install.

Grip - Magpul scorpion grip.  Hand doesn’t rub the safety with the Magpul grip as it has a lower grip angle and looks/feels better than stock.

Mags - Second gen of the factory mags with “USA” printed on the bottom have never cracked in me.  I also love the Magpul mags.

Brace - The stock brace for the Scorpion micro is very wide and clunky.  Get the retractable brace from Safety Harbor firearms with a Tailhook Mod 1 and you will love it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top