Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2022 1:45:24 PM EDT
Hello all,
I am new to the world of personally owned 40mm launchers.  I have access to certain 40mm components from work, but loaded munitions are a no go.  I have access to the DefTec cases, 212 style and 5" style, as they normally get thrown away after use.  I do have a Onefinity CNC in the garage and was curious as to what materials I could use for the base/pusher with a driving band?  I was thinking about getting a 1/2" sheet of PVC to cut bases with a 1/4" driving band and then figuring a way to secure a nose cone to it since I have had zero luck finding zinc pushers?  I do not currently have a 3d printer, but am in the process of researching out which machine to purchase.  I have been looking at the Creality Ender 3 Pro and the Flashforge Dreamer dual filament, anyone use these models for 40mm goodies and have suggestions?  I bought a box of .38 short blanks to get started, but I do not currently own a set of blank dies.  Anyone have a preference to a set of dies as I have looked at CH4D and Hornady?
Thank you,
Clay
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I only 3D print projectiles.  3D printing is great because you are not limited with what you can do or build.  

I have a set of the Hornady dies.  They work well but were expensive.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve used hole cutters to make wood wads and some pushers for stuff that doesn’t engage rifling like muzzle blast OC and buckshot. Using plastic is okay, but it does get quite hard to remove from barrels when you shoot it a lot. This is why the military went back to mostly zinc. They did make 781s with plastic bands for a while.
GROG
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 7:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
A regular .38 S&W crimp die will put a good curl on top to keep the burst disk in place

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top