Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2020 10:40:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 10:47:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, you never know what's going to actually be in there on the racks the day that you go, so it is hard to plan.

As has been the tradition for years, if you don't know what you're looking at/for, the guys behind the counter are always gracious enough to help you look if you ask them.  I've heard them doing this numerous times as I've been in both the North and South store, and they give some great tips.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:06:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:14:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Here ya go. Read and be advised.

CMP South Store reports from PH68
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 11:22:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 2:22:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I may have the opportunity to travel to Anniston this spring and I was trying to rack my brain on what I should look for. I have a Garand made by each manufacturer. All are fairly nice and unique in their own way, only thing I can think is trying to find a winchester with a WRA barrel or wra wood.

Considering the current stock, What would you get if you were going?
View Quote
Easy ...

For $650 or $750 (or whatever it costs now), I'd grab one of those Rack Grade or Field Grade Specials, the ones with the Criterion barrel and new, tight-fitting Dupage wood. For that money, I'd want a great shooting 'beater' M1 that I could run hard.

The fact that the refinished receiver will show significant 'pitting above the wood line' wouldn't bother me a bit. I'd want to shoot it a lot, and maybe keep it as a 'truck gun,' not another Safe Queen. Already got too many of those.

The only real issue for me is chambering.

To date, CMP has been building these RG/FG Specials with '06 Criterion tubes, but if they did a run of them in .308, I'd likely grab one of those over the '06 chambering. I already have several '06 Garands, and a .308/7.62 'shooter' M1 would be less pricey to feed over time with commercial or surplus FMJ ball ammo, plus it's easier to find than the so-called 'Garand Safe' ammo (if you don't already reload for the '06).

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 3:10:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 5:37:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I may have the opportunity to travel to Anniston this spring and I was trying to rack my brain on what I should look for. I have a Garand made by each manufacturer. All are fairly nice and unique in their own way, only thing I can think is trying to find a winchester with a WRA barrel or wra wood.

Considering the current stock, What would you get if you were going?
View Quote
As others have said and you know this...……… it depends on what is available when you show up.....

Be prepared for nothing reaching out to you and scream "buy me."

Spend a few days there and shoot out at the TMP...… it's great!
Link Posted: 2/12/2020 10:12:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I just went and picked up a 1903, they had a ton of 1917’s also.  I kick myself for not grabbing one while I was there but other bills and a vacation were looming.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 6:41:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

How much were the 1917s?
View Quote
$600 or $650 I think depending on dark bore or not.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:18:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:36:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here ya go. Read and be advised.

CMP South Store reports from PH68
View Quote
PH68 helped choose a nice WRA when I was there. Really nice knowledgeable guy.  I contacted him through the CMP forum ahead of time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 10:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Go to the store and the cmp marksman park they sometimes have some nice stuff at the park
Link Posted: 2/13/2020 11:07:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Cool! Thanks
View Quote
No prob.  Also thats the only "grades" of them currently.  Dark bore or (I think it was) bright bore/clean bore
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 2:07:34 AM EDT
[#16]
@TOTHEMAX

If you're going by Anniston stop in, it's worth the stop.

If you're making a total of 8 hour detour to go there........don't get you're hopes up.     I monitored the CMP forums, there's a guy there at the South Store (anniston) that posted daily updates with what was there.   Had good selections every day so I figured it was worth going to pick something out.   Left early to be there at opening even.

The day I went there they decided to just put out IHC's and select grades.    Only thing "normal" there was a ratty Springfield that was a Rack grade.   Was REALLY disappointed that I screwed up me and my wife's 6 day vacation to go there.       Next day there was more Springfields and H&R's put out.   It would be my luck to have picked the one day.   Ended up with two M7 bayonets with sheaths for $35 apiece is all.

Also: You have to pay Alabama sales tax+Anniston City sales tax which totals to 10%.   So a Field Grade $650 garand becomes a $715 one and a $750 Service grade becomes a $825 rifle.

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:15:11 AM EDT
[#18]
With CMP having closed down for now all I can think is, yay the M1917s may be there long enough for me to get one!
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:24:56 AM EDT
[#19]
With the store closed I wonder what that will do to the wait times on Garands?   It may go back to 6 months like in years past.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top