BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 8/31/2022 7:46:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Toying with turning it into a .308 Shuff's Mini-g with an Ultimak mount, if I can source the barrel; seems better to overhaul an old beater with no collector value (to get it back to a useful shooting status where it'll get used) than to do so to a relatively nicer one like the OP's examples.  Guess I gotta wait and see, the OP's rifles look great compared to some I've seen out there.
View Quote

Yeah Im the same way. I took the worst of my 2 recent racks for aBM59E conversion and combined parts with the second to make a decent rifle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Got my CC charged today.

Where / when does it show on the estore order the serial number of the gun?
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Got my CC charged today.

Where / when does it show on the estore order the serial number of the gun?
View Quote

Order Status-> Order number.

SN wont show till the day the shipping label is created
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Order Status-> Order number.

SN wont show till the day the shipping label is created
View Quote
This.

My CC was charged two days ago, yesterday the SN showed on the order form (as did a hard case, and that the $$$ was paid instead of balance due); it arrived this morning, but I haven't had a chance to unbox it.

Not a whole lot of notice it was inbound, a bit of a logistical headache to shuffle.

ETA: 3.7 million, may 1945 production for mine.

ETA2: was able to take a real quick once over.  Metal above the wood line was recently reparkerized, barrel is a '44, metal has some unusual suncorite-type finish.  Couldn't get the trigger group out, but it's a milled Winchester unit; no idea on the metal below the wood line.  The top handguards look like they'll partner well enough with my old rifle's stock, but the stock has some fairly pronounced gouges/chips/splits/missing wood near the buttstock.  It should be perfect for what I have planned, if I can get the parts in stock and ship it off to Shuff's for a Mini-G conversion

ETA3:  more pitting than I'm used to seeing below the wood line, but less than some of OP's rifles.  This should be perfect for my plans, if I can bring myself to send it off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 2:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This.

My CC was charged two days ago, yesterday the SN showed on the order form (as did a hard case, and that the $$$ was paid instead of balance due); it arrived this morning, but I haven't had a chance to unbox it.

Not a whole lot of notice it was inbound, a bit of a logistical headache to shuffle.

ETA: 3.7 million, may 1945 production for mine.
View Quote

Mine shows the hard case and TERMS: Prepaid.

So maybe next day or so it will show something.

I also got on criterion list for a 270 & 35 whelen barrels.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:01:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Just got a Call from the CMP. On my order I requested one of the "Strange camo" pattern stocked guns.

The lady was very nice and said they only had a small number of those come in and unsure if they will get more. She asked if a early production or WW2 Springfield was fine instead.

So probably not getting a Doritochip camo gun but worth a shot I guess. She said since those few guns was sent out they have had a large number of order request for them.

Would be interesting to see the back story and history on those stocks. Ill be willing to bet they will increase in value far greater than any plain GI stock.

She also said mine should ship out tomorrow.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 3:19:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I've had to delay my most recent rack grade three times since I'm traveling for work.

The last four rack grade I got were in better shape than the two fields I got three months ago.

I asked for the funky camo as well and then had to delay it
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 9:43:15 PM EDT
[#8]
What are you guys using for membership? I’m gonna get off my ass and order one before its too late.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:10:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What are you guys using for membership? I'm gonna get off my ass and order one before its too late.
View Quote
Garand Collector's association, CCW, hunters safety card, and passport solve it all for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
What are you guys using for membership? I’m gonna get off my ass and order one before its too late.
View Quote

Garand Collectors' Association. It's worth the $25 annually even if you're not ordering from the CMP.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:04:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Garand Collectors' Association. It's worth the $25 annually even if you're not ordering from the CMP.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Definitely, and the GCA Journal is a great read every time it arrives. Some really interesting articles.

Renewed my membership for 2022-2023 and also ordered the new GCA ballcap with the M1 rifle on it.
Link Posted: 9/3/2022 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#12]
So, just for the edification of others, here was the stock in my rack grade as received:

Didn't bother me because I was already thinking of replacing the stock; just means I can't sell the one I received.

Then I wondered if my other rifle's stock (a Greek field grade I picked up in 2006) would be a better fit for lockup and color match.  It's the same for lockup, but the color matches much better now:

Link Posted: 9/4/2022 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine shipped Friday. Should be here Tuesday. Are these shipped ground or express?
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Mine shipped Friday. Should be here Tuesday. Are these shipped ground or express?
View Quote

They're shipped Express. However, even FedEx Express has been having issues with delayed pkgs. Mine were delayed a couple days, once they took possession of them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2022 8:43:33 AM EDT
[#15]
I got spoiled with past service grades. Hard pass on the pits.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#16]
rifle arrived today. Its a rack grade thru and thru lol. Its ok tho.

August 1941 production
has been rebarreled
has pitting under the wood
stock shows signs of heavy use.
Barrel at muzzle almost swallows bullet
Think its worth $650 will probably order another one.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:39:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 12:49:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice bolt!!!

You got the same painted oprod I got on one lol. Is it pitted too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 3:46:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Nice bolt!!!

You got the same painted oprod I got on one lol. Is it pitted too.
View Quote

Didnt seem like it.

Bolt l am assuming is a International. I wish I would have hand selected a IH gun when I went down to the cmp last year. They haven't opened the Anniston location back up.  Im a newb when it comes to garand collecting. This is my 4th one. I also put another order form in the mail today for another rack grade.

I wish criterion would get the 35 Whelen  barrels back in stock. I put my email on the list for both the 35 and 270 Win barrels. Figured these rack grades would make good donor receivers for a hunting gun.
Link Posted: 9/6/2022 8:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
My two racks shipped today.  One is SA 704xxx. The other is a HR 5.5mil. I stickied for an H&R. I'm happy to get an early SA as well.

Edit: 9/8/22

Picked my rifles up from work. Pics to come.

SA 704xxx, Minor shallow pitting above wood. Little deeper pitting below. not bad.

SA 4/53 barrel, Muzzle doesn't swallow a bullet.

Danish Stock. loose lockup

Painted gas cylinder, Weird flat head slot gas cylinder lock plug.
HRA trigger housing. HRA hammer. Dark Oxide elevation knob

HRA 5505xxx, Slightly more shallow pitting above wood, slightly more serve pitting below.

sa 5/49 barrel. doesnt swallow bullet.

GI P marked Stock w/ decent lockup. painted gas cylinder, normal gas cylinder lock plug
IHC trigger housing. WRA hammer. Remington NM oprod (visible pitting).

Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:41:10 PM EDT
[#21]

Overall happy with my purchase. I really like the danish stock.

I have a bm59e kit and one of these will get converted. They seem too nice to use like that.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Received an 8-42 rack today, looks just as nice as the WRA service grade I got last year. Great finish, and no pitting anywhere. No gauge numbers on the tag.

6-42 barrel with a bright bore, 12SA bolt. new looking IHC op rod and HRA trigger group. Wood looks nice but no markings, grip has a rack number sticker on the bottom and stock has really tight lockup. Gas cylinder looks painted.

Should have ordered 2, I was expecting a beater.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Received an 8-42 rack today, looks just as nice as the WRA service grade I got last year. Great finish, and no pitting anywhere. No gauge numbers on the tag.

6-42 barrel with a bright bore, 12SA bolt. new looking IHC op rod and HRA trigger group. Wood looks nice but no markings, grip has a rack number sticker on the bottom and stock has really tight lockup. Gas cylinder looks painted.

Should have ordered 2, I was expecting a beater.
View Quote

Sounds like you got a really good one.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 1:24:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Just finished stripping mine and cleaning it up. It's clearly a freshly refinished receiver with all new late rear sight parts. Maybe it was a reject receiver from the expert grade builds, I can't imagine why else a rack would have a new finish. The barrel was not refinished, and has been cleaned up in spots with a wire wheel apparently. They assembled with red grease.

I had to use the press to remove the painted gas cylinder, there's a punch mark on the front where they drove it on. Definitely built up from parts, really nice for a rack grade.

Link Posted: 9/10/2022 2:21:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Got the email that they received my second cmp order yesterday.
Link Posted: 9/10/2022 9:16:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It's clearly a freshly refinished receiver with all new late rear sight parts. Maybe it was a reject receiver from the expert grade builds, I can't imagine why else a rack would have a new finish.
View Quote

Pretty much all the rack grades have refinished receivers. CMP received them in rusted condition from the poor storage conditions at the Philippines. To salvage the receivers, they had them blasted and refinished.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:59:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Both of mine had crazy tight gas tube as well.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Just got hit with a CC charge on my second rack grade M1 Garand of the year. This one has moved alot faster than my previous submissions.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:44:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Just got my second rack grade today. Looks a lot better than the one I received a few weeks back.

Nice wood.
Receiver does have pitting above the wood line.
Barrel is 1951
Receiver is April of 1943
They actually put numbers on this one 2 and 3.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:47:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:30:46 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

I need to stop hanging around in this thread, it'll make me want to order another rack grade.

The wood on your rack is better than the wood I got on my Greek Field grade 15 years ago.

This is addicting
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 6:31:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Both of mine had crazy tight gas tube as well.
View Quote
Same.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 11:52:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I need to stop hanging around in this thread, it'll make me want to order another rack grade.

The wood on your rack is better than the wood I got on my Greek Field grade 15 years ago.

This is addicting
View Quote

Yeah, I know the feeling. I only have 1 Garand, that I picked up earlier this year, and I feel like it's getting lonely.

Link Posted: 9/24/2022 11:48:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I was doing some cleanup in my office today and found an ammo can from the CMP with 180 rounds of 30.06 in it. I had forgotten all about having it. Now if I can find that bag of 25 en bloc clips, I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 4:31:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone else have rack grades arrive?  I've just about decided to chance it and order one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 5:47:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Looking a little thin right now.

https://thecmp.org/sales-and-service/m1-garand/
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Anyone else have rack grades arrive?  I've just about decided to chance it and order one.
View Quote

I've been helping 4 new Garand owners sort out their rack grades.  Wow they're rough--but they are interresting.  There is a LOT of pitting to be found--in some cases it seems alarming--but there are also very cool WWII parts, mixmastered to fuck and back--milled lower bands, early trigger groups, early WWII trigger groups with original latches, one guy even got an SA/EMCF stock with ordnance wheel that still actually wasn't compressed and still locked up tight.  On the down side, the barrels were pretty beat, the stocks are mostly shitwood, some of the op-rods were thoroughly thrashed, and the one I took to the range was timed wrong (worn parts) and kept ejecting the clip at random intervals.  But again, on the upside--it was a late WWII gun rebarrelled in '53 with an LMR barrel, the barrel has almost no finish remaining, it is almost plumb-brown from rust, but though the crown is dinged, it gauges at the muzzle at 1.5, and pitted or not, all indications are that it will be a nice shooter.

If you are looking for a project WWII gun (or guns) and don't particularly care what you have to spend to get it going reliably, they are a fun project.  If you are on a tighter budget and looking for a good Garand that shoots straight out of the box, yikes--you better have uncommon luck.  I'd say wait for the service grades.
Link Posted: 10/2/2022 6:12:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I ordered one in July that arrived in August and then sent off paperwork Sept 6th and the second one arrived on Sept 26th which is the fastest I have ever received one.  
The August one was really nice, but small repair on one of the hand guards and some big nicks on the wood.  
The Sept Rifle had a ton of rust on the barrel and some small parts, but I got most of it off.  
Both receivers have pitting, but nothing major.  Both barrels are good and functioned fine yesterday while shooting up a Pumpkin.  :)

Link Posted: 10/3/2022 4:00:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

the one I took to the range was timed wrong (worn parts) and kept ejecting the clip at random intervals.  
View Quote

Clip latch spring or you can measure the accelerator cam on the bullet guide
0.179"-0.004" notched
0.175"-0.004" un-notched

Either can give weird clip issues.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 11:38:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Just got my second rack grade today. Looks a lot better than the one I received a few weeks back.

Nice wood.
Receiver does have pitting above the wood line.
Barrel is 1951
Receiver is April of 1943
They actually put numbers on this one 2 and 3.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/424008/92AD1311-8EC9-4F70-A02A-72DD2D37E6B0_jpe-2533699.JPG
View Quote

Interesting T105 sight.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#41]
This thread is going to cost me money. We carried Garands in boot camp and I’ve been meaning to buy one for the last 15 years. I just never have. Does a military retiree card cover all the bases for purchase requirements? Sorry if I’m mucking up the thread.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:52:07 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
This thread is going to cost me money. We carried Garands in boot camp and I’ve been meaning to buy one for the last 15 years. I just never have. Does a military retiree card cover all the bases for purchase requirements? Sorry if I’m mucking up the thread.
View Quote

Yes
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Must be Navy.
Link Posted: 10/5/2022 9:58:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Must be Navy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Must be Navy.

Coastie, actually

Also, thanks NoMo!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 11:17:01 PM EDT
[#45]
Got my $700 rack grade. My third rack grade. Receiver pitting was worse then the other two. It will be perfect for my bm59 build.

Sa 5.9m pitted reciever
Nice hra barrel
Wra op rod.
Wra milled trigger guard
Stock is new oversized cmp walnut.
Rest of parts are SA

Not bad.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#46]
Think I might order another today.

Anybody here good with stocks? I have an extremely oversized birch stock I need sanded down and shaped but wood work and myself go together like oil and water
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top