Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/23/2023 1:20:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dcs12345]
I’m thinking about getting either another surplus 853 or maybe trying out a HW30.

It just going to be used for 10m plinking in the backyard, but my young kids (10, 8, and 6) will likely shoot it as well.

I already have a 853, so I am wondering if the HW30 is easier to cock?  I would likely end up getting an aperture sight for the HW30 if I go that route.
Link Posted: 4/25/2023 5:27:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Standing by for opinions. It’s funny you posted this, I am wondering the same.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 12:40:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dcs12345] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ChupacabraSAR:
Standing by for opinions. It’s funny you posted this, I am wondering the same.
View Quote

I asked on some different forums and was told:

“I, too, have both an HW30 and a Daisy 853.  I'd go with the 853 for your kids of those ages ( 6, 8, 10).  The 853 comes with a kid-length stock.  The break barrel HW30 could be really broken if the barrel was let go (heaven forbid) in mid-cock. “

“The HW30 is a small, light weight, easy to cock springer. I have never owned one, but my friend has a couple. I have an R8, a little bigger, but still compact and light weight. Had an HW55 and it was also a fun accurate smallish springer. As far as the pro's and con's go, the HW30 will have a better trigger. The 853 will not be hold sensitive. The HW30 will have a little more range. The 853 can be shot from bags if one desired, springers aren't usually agreeable to bags. Good luck and happy shooting with whatever decision you make.”

I think the fact that the hw30 is hold sensitive (loose hold) while the 853 is not would make it better for training for future firearms shooting

I ended up ordering 2 of the 853s (I already a 2, but I wanted one for each of my kids and myself).  I could get 2 for less than the price of one hw30.

I asked the Tommy at the CMP if they happened to have any of the Monte Carlo stocked ones left hiding around since they only list the standard stock on the order sheet.  

He said “we are currently out of the monte carlo version, we hope to again have that option available in a few months”.

If we really get into it, I bet I’ll end up ordering a HW30 down the road. They just look so handy and they seem really quite.

Link Posted: 4/28/2023 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Are seal kits still available for the 853?
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:
Are seal kits still available for the 853?
View Quote

I see seal kits available from various sellers online, don’t know if they are daisy kits or aftermarket.

I bet you could email daisy and ask. They have pretty good customer service. I contacted them about trigger parts and they helped me out.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 2:52:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dcs12345] [#5]
Got my two standard stock models in today.

One had what I thought was a little shorter LOP than normal

I pulled out my two Monte Carlo stocked ones and saw that one wasn’t short…one is longer

This is actually nice since I have 3 kids and one is for me.

Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By dcs12345:
Got my two standard stock models in today.

One had what I thought was a little shorter LOP than normal

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/47EDDDF1-98E5-4955-8ACC-6ED6480BFFD3-2798756.jpg

I pulled out my two Monte Carlo stocked ones and saw that one wasn’t short…one is longer

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82036/C3AA85E2-D909-414B-B0AC-0451004225FD-2798759.jpg

This is actually nice since I have 3 kids and one is for me.

View Quote

@sparkyD seal kite are available. I got a few from the CMP and just installed one tonight.

DCS, I also have one for each kiddo. All mine are Monte Carlo, they are fantastic bang for the buck.
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 12:37:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dcs12345] [#7]
Originally Posted By ChupacabraSAR:

@sparkyD seal kite are available. I got a few from the CMP and just installed one tonight.

DCS, I also have one for each kiddo. All mine are Monte Carlo, they are fantastic bang for the buck.
View Quote

I figured I wouldn’t have liked the sporter stock that much, but I ended up really liking it. Likely it was due to the longer LOP without adding any spacers.  

I plan on calling Daisy next week and getting some parts to improve the trigger.  It’s been a while but I think it is 888 parts…

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=39648.0

Yep, it’s the 888 parts.  While I am getting those parts, I might as well get a couple of rebuild kits too (assuming Daisy has the kits which I figure they do)
Link Posted: 4/29/2023 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#8]
That’s great I have a plastic stock 850 that my mom uses for starlings. I think it’s 37 years old.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top