Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I like mine
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 7:34:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Is it really worth.$1000?
View Quote

I haven't seen one but considering they are installing a new barrel and wood with better than typical service grade receiver and parts it seems like a more than fair price.  I paid $1200 for a 308 Garand on an H&R receiver not too long ago from a private seller.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:13:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote
yes
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:37:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Try finding any M1 on Gunbroker less than $1000.
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes I paid 1080 for my cmp 308 in 2015
Link Posted: 12/5/2021 10:58:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Without a doubt

A classic that will last near a lifetime if not abused or neglected ( though they stood up to a Ouse and neglect in combat pretty good)
And usually will still shoot well far beyond what most expect barrel life to be.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 12:22:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep.  If it's similar to the one I bought 7-8 years ago, it's basically a brand new rifle.  Mine had a new barrel and stock, and all the parts looked brand new as well, with no rust or pitting at all.

Shoots great, lots more ammo available than the 30/06 model (just don't use steel case ammo in it - mine had a broken case that I needed my smith to remove), and is a great piece of history.
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 7:36:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Without a doubt, yes. Buy it.

Quoted:
Yes I paid 1080 for my cmp 308 in 2015

Same here. Great M1!
Link Posted: 12/6/2021 8:21:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Is CMP selling more?
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#10]
My credit card just got charged, so I expect mine to ship shortly.

This will be my first .308, so I don't have any ammo yet.  Any recommendations for ammo for this? Anything else I need to buy for it (additional clips?).

ETA: Also my first M1.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#11]
A decent supply of en bloc clips is always a good idea with an M1.

Any 147-150gr FMJ ammo should work fine in your rifle... Pretty much anything you'd shoot from an M1A/M14.  A can or two of M80 ball (LC, IMI, PPU, etc.) would be a good place to start.

Various flavors of .308 match ammo would work too.  Federal did make (still does?) a 168gr OTM round marketed specifically for the M1A, 168 or 175 FGMM would work, IMI has made some 168gr OTM ammo over the years, ditto for PPU, Berger, and so on.  Note that without doing some work the stock fit you're unlikely to see a huge improvement (it ain't a match rifle just yet) but the better bullets (than 147-150 FMJ's) will help a bunch.

Handloading opens up even more possibilities.

I think .308 M1's are cool.  What they lack in "originality" they make up for with better choices/more availability of ammo.  Better they're out getting shot than gathering dust, IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/7/2021 10:30:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My credit card just got charged, so I expect mine to ship shortly.

This will be my first .308, so I don't have any ammo yet.  Any recommendations for ammo for this? Anything else I need to buy for it (additional clips?).

ETA: Also my first M1.
View Quote
When did you send off for it?
Link Posted: 12/8/2021 10:20:13 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When did you send off for it?
View Quote

I believe that I put my order in the mailbox on 11/6.  I received confirmation from CMP on 11/10.  Shipping notice was received on 12/7.  I'm expecting delivery today.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:50:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Hope you post some pictures
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Hope you post some pictures
View Quote

Ask and ye shall receive.  I'm really happy with it.  Now just need to finish the stock, and find some ammo and accessories.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Very nice.  They stock looks pretty darn good…..
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I believe that I put my order in the mailbox on 11/6.  I received confirmation from CMP on 11/10.  Shipping notice was received on 12/7.  I'm expecting delivery today.
View Quote

That's impressive. I emailed to ask if they received my packet and they responded with a statement that they are filling orders placed in July. They also didn't confirm my 1911 packet earlier this year. There's got to be a better way for them to do business.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 7:59:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I received my DBU email yesterday for a Field Grade I ordered in July that they received July 15.

The Field Grades appear to be gone and I’m expecting a follow up next week offering an upgrade. If the Expert 308 is available I’m switching.
Link Posted: 12/9/2021 9:32:53 PM EDT
[#20]
It's worth more than 1k.

I personally think M1 Garands should be chambered in .30-06, but that's just me.

Circa. 2021 .308 makes more sense simply because M80 ball is much more available.

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 12:07:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I received my DBU email yesterday for a Field Grade I ordered in July that they received July 15.

The Field Grades appear to be gone and I’m expecting a follow up next week offering an upgrade. If the Expert 308 is available I’m switching.
View Quote

If they offered an upgrade to a service grade, I would jump on that over a expert 308. With the Expert grades going out I would bet there is a better chance you will get a very nice service grade and the service grade is more valuable, collectable and less cost.

I ordered a Winchester field grade earlier this year. They ran low and offered a service grade upgrade. I jumped on it and received a SA rebuild with original Winchester barrel and unused since rebuild.  One of the nicest rifles I have ever received from CMP.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:48:57 PM EDT
[#22]
What kind of accuracy is everyone getting out of these ?
Link Posted: 1/15/2022 9:57:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What kind of accuracy is everyone getting out of these ?
View Quote
Bump for any further CMP 308 info. Mine is inbound.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:39:19 AM EDT
[#24]

Nice. I just sent off for a 30.06 Expert, hopefully it'll look as good as that
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 2:48:05 AM EDT
[#25]
M1’s are generally 2-3 moa rifles. The CMP rifles are just parts put together so don’t expect better. However, there is a few things you can do to ensure you are maximizing accuracy with what they send you. The stocks typically need some attention in few areas and the splines can be tightened easily if the gas cylinder is loose.

I have a 308 M1 with an unknown commercial barrel. It shoots much better than that and has no accurizing modifications. The Criterion barrels CMP puts on are very good barrels and will not be the component holding back accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 7:19:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
M1’s are generally 2-3 moa rifles. The CMP rifles are just parts put together so don’t expect better. However, there is a few things you can do to ensure you are maximizing accuracy with what they send you. The stocks typically need some attention in few areas and the splines can be tightened easily if the gas cylinder is loose.

I have a 308 M1 with an unknown commercial barrel. It shoots much better than that and has no accurizing modifications. The Criterion barrels CMP puts on are very good barrels and will not be the component holding back accuracy.
View Quote

Thanks for the info. What’s the fix fo a loose gas cylinder?
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 2:46:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is a couple things. First, if your gas cylinder slides off the barrel splines without resistance it is loose. Peen the bottom splines a little on the edges. The top right and left splines get peened only on the edge closest to the gas port. When I say peened, it doesn’t mean hammer it to dog shit. You lightly tap a flat faced punch along the edge tangent to the outer radius. You probably won’t see any metal move and it will be enough. This takes all the side to side play out of the sight. It also helps hold the cylinder tighter to the barrel port.
The second item is finding a gas lock that will clock to about 5:30 by just finger tight spinning on. This allows it to be tight against the taper on the barrel when fully tightened to 6:00. After peening the barrel splines, install the gas cylinder just short of where it should be. Install the gas lock and use it to push the cylinder until the lock seats on the taper of the barrel at 6:00. Finally, install the gas plug snug. The trick to finding a proper gas lock is finding someone with a drawer full. There is only a handful of people that keep that many around.
A tip, don’t ever move the gas cylinder on the splines. If you shoot regularly, once a year pull the gas lock screw, gas lock and op rod and clean the gas cylinder while on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:37:13 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

There is a couple things. First, if your gas cylinder slides off the barrel splines without resistance it is loose. Peen the bottom splines a little on the edges. The top right and left splines get peened only on the edge closest to the gas port. When I say peened, it doesn’t mean hammer it to dog shit. You lightly tap a flat faced punch along the edge tangent to the outer radius. You probably won’t see any metal move and it will be enough. This takes all the side to side play out of the sight. It also helps hold the cylinder tighter to the barrel port.
The second item is finding a gas lock that will clock to about 5:30 by just finger tight spinning on. This allows it to be tight against the taper on the barrel when fully tightened to 6:00. After peening the barrel splines, install the gas cylinder just short of where it should be. Install the gas lock and use it to push the cylinder until the lock seats on the taper of the barrel at 6:00. Finally, install the gas plug snug. The trick to finding a proper gas lock is finding someone with a drawer full. There is only a handful of people that keep that many around.
A tip, don’t ever move the gas cylinder on the splines. If you shoot regularly, once a year pull the gas lock screw, gas lock and op rod and clean the gas cylinder while on the barrel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks again, I plan on ordering one of the 308 M1’s that the CMP is currently offering and this is one of the many things I will be checking.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 8:13:34 AM EDT
[#29]
Sent off the paperwork on Monday so now I guess it’s a waiting game.
What kind of.308 ammo is recommended in these rifles? I read on CMPs website that people were having issues with with some of the heavier .30-06 but I didn’t see anything about .308.
Link Posted: 1/26/2022 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sent off the paperwork on Monday so now I guess it’s a waiting game.
What kind of.308 ammo is recommended in these rifles? I read on CMPs website that people were having issues with with some of the heavier .30-06 but I didn’t see anything about .308.
View Quote

M80 ball, 168 grain match, 175 grain match.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 6:05:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Let's do some math.  Shall we.

Clean receivers are now $550-900.

Barrels.  $200

Op rods.  $150

Bolts. $75.

You can fill in the small parts and the stock, and the labor of someone to mod a tanker correctly.

That is the math.
Link Posted: 1/29/2022 9:32:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Mailed in the order form today for a 308
Link Posted: 1/30/2022 2:01:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
I mailed in on 12/9 ish and received the rifle 1/21. I also had to re-send FFL and notarized form so that certainly added extra time.
Link Posted: 1/31/2022 8:37:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I mailed in on 12/9 ish and received the rifle 1/21. I also had to re-send FFL and notarized form so that certainly added extra time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s not bad at all I was expecting it would take longer.
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 1:23:07 AM EDT
[#35]
Do the experts that are currently listed on the cmp site come with the hackberry stocks still or did they ever upgrade to something better?
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 11:47:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Do the experts that are currently listed on the cmp site come with the hackberry stocks still or did they ever upgrade to something better?
View Quote

They are new production stocks so they won't be hackberry. Hackberry sticks were put on by the Philippines and were not new by the time the CMP got the rifles.
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:04:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 2/3/2022 9:45:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

CMP stocks that are not explicitly USGI stocks are new production/commercial wood (from Dupage, I believe).
Link Posted: 2/13/2022 2:31:35 AM EDT
[#39]

Looks great!  I got mine in about the same time and need to finish my stock as well. What do you plan on using?  I don't have much experience in this area. From what I see online, tung oil seems to be the recommendation?
Link Posted: 2/26/2022 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I had one built on a paki parts gun, sent to huff’s (?) for a
Restore, I liked it.

If I wanted another Garand, id buy the like new 308.

Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:39:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I haven't seen one but considering they are installing a new barrel and wood with better than typical service grade receiver and parts it seems like a more than fair price.  I paid $1200 for a 308 Garand on an H&R receiver not too long ago from a private seller.
View Quote

One of the "navy" garands done by AMF?
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 10:59:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

CMP, their offering them. I bought one of the .30.06 ones and it's worth a $1000

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/New-Expert-30-06-Garand-in-the-House/6-533014/
Link Posted: 2/27/2022 8:14:04 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

CMP sells those in their auctions. You can buy several of these 308 Garands for what those sell for.
Link Posted: 3/9/2022 4:05:55 PM EDT
[#44]
CMP lists the .308 Experts as Sold Out as of 3/8/22

Still list 30-06 Expert as available, but for how long?
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

CMP sells those in their auctions. You can buy several of these 308 Garands for what those sell for.
View Quote

They sold a lot of .308 barreled receivers a few years back. A lot of guys built them from those, which is why I asked.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:37:07 AM EDT
[#46]
Is it hard to find 308 enblocs?
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:43:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is it hard to find 308 enblocs?
View Quote

No such thing, enblocs are the same for both calibers.
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 8:43:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/10/2022 9:31:45 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

They sold a lot of .308 barreled receivers a few years back. A lot of guys built them from those, which is why I asked.
View Quote

They have been steadily trickling  308 barreled receivers through their auctions lately. They look to be kinda a mix of original USGI conversions and match rifles from the military. Been tempted, then I see what the price they are going for.
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 4:44:50 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got an update on my order.
Backordered for a year.
Was offered a 30-06 expert.
I'm planning on waiting it out.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top