Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2018 12:59:12 PM EDT
Im finding it hard to not pick this one up. Probably pistol and then add the ripstock. The 5.7 round has always appealed to me and this looks like a great platform for me to finally try it. I havent seen any posts on here about this gun, let me know if I missed it.

Does anyone own this gun? How do you like it?

What suppressor are you using? I'd like to run a short lightweight can (fatter vs longer). I will be running supersonic ammo so It doesnt have to be the most quiet. .22? 5.56?

Does the lower have a tension screw? Is there any slop between upper and lower?

How many yards are you zeroing at to get a decent arc up to 200 yds?

Here are a few videos for those unfamiliar with the gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQ91GurL-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgYvtKNgoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AveB9S_lKZY
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 10:56:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Im finding it hard to not pick this one up. Probably pistol and then add the ripstock. The 5.7 round has always appealed to me and this looks like a great platform for me to finally try it. I havent seen any posts on here about this gun, let me know if I missed it.

Does anyone own this gun? How do you like it?

What suppressor are you using? I'd like to run a short lightweight can (fatter vs longer). I will be running supersonic ammo so It doesnt have to be the most quiet. .22? 5.56?

Does the lower have a tension screw? Is there any slop between upper and lower?

How many yards are you zeroing at to get a decent arc up to 200 yds?

Here are a few videos for those unfamiliar with the gun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGQ91GurL-c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJgYvtKNgoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AveB9S_lKZY
View Quote

A good short 5.56 can will work WAY better than the .22 cans. I used an M4SDK.
No tension screw, and the upper/lower slop was minimal on the sample I had.
I put about 600 rounds through mine without issues. Switched between subsonic, and supersonic.  If you plan on reloading, it's a little hard on the brass, but I was able to re-size some of the spent brass without issue.

CMMG MK57 Guard Pistol Review! Brand New 5.7x28mm Firearm!
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 11:35:05 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks! great review. liked and subscribed.

was thinking of getting the dead air mask - great reviews and gives me an excuse to buy another rimfire rifle.

instead i might get a bowers bitty for more of a muzzle device than a hearing safe suppressor and keep that on for HD/PD. i would then buy a .556 suppressor for keeping it quiet when shooting steel on the property.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I own one and use an older AAC m4 1000 suppressor (same one I use on my Ps90 sbr and ar57 upper sbr).  I also added a Fostech echo trigger.  I wil try to get some pictures tonight.  I havn't had an issues yet.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 10:46:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Just curious, any reason to get one of these vs. the AR-57 which takes the P90 mags?

Advantages / disadvantages of one vs the other?

Link Posted: 11/13/2018 4:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I own one and use an older AAC m4 1000 suppressor (same one I use on my Ps90 sbr and ar57 upper sbr).  I also added a Fostech echo trigger.  I wil try to get some pictures tonight.  I havn't had an issues yet.
View Quote
thanks!

is there any play between your lower and upper?
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 8:49:23 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the idea of this better than the P90 style upper since it has the radial delayed blowback operating mechanism and the manual of arms is the same as my other AR’s.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 9:20:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

thanks!

is there any play between your lower and upper?
View Quote
There is a slight amount of play but nothing that really matters.  Here is the gun with a couple of my other 5.7 guns

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 12:03:06 PM EDT
[#8]
From the outside looking in, I would rather have the MK57 compared to the AR57. The delaying action and upper receiver parts compatibility of the MK57 has a greater value to me than the AR57 upper. To me I see that Mk57 as being a good backpack gun candidate. Since it doesn't use the P90 mags a person isn't limited to a minimum hand guard length like what the AR57 uppers are using. Therefore, the overall length of the MK57 can be significantly shorter. Personally I do like the P90 magazines. When I worked at a range that had a rental MG, I just found that loading them became monotonous. I don't recall seeing a magazine related issue, so I am assuming they are reliable magazines. For the uses I would employ the MK57, using the Fn 57 mags would simplify storing spare magazines in a back pack.

One thing I would be interested in and perhaps Seb1 could elaborate on this is the at the ear noise of the Mk57 compared to the P90 and the AR57. I think we could all agree that a delayed action is quieter at the ear than a direct blowback when the ejection port is on the right side; ie a CZ scorpion vs a MP5. I would be curious to see how the bottom ejection of the P90 and AR57 compares to the MK57's delayed action but right side ejection.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
From the outside looking in, I would rather have the MK57 compared to the AR57. The delaying action and upper receiver parts compatibility of the MK57 has a greater value to me than the AR57 upper. To me I see that Mk57 as being a good backpack gun candidate. Since it doesn't use the P90 mags a person isn't limited to a minimum hand guard length like what the AR57 uppers are using. Therefore, the overall length of the MK57 can be significantly shorter. Personally I do like the P90 magazines. When I worked at a range that had a rental MG, I just found that loading them became monotonous. I don't recall seeing a magazine related issue, so I am assuming they are reliable magazines. For the uses I would employ the MK57, using the Fn 57 mags would simplify storing spare magazines in a back pack.

One thing I would be interested in and perhaps Seb1 could elaborate on this is the at the ear noise of the Mk57 compared to the P90 and the AR57. I think we could all agree that a delayed action is quieter at the ear than a direct blowback when the ejection port is on the right side; ie a CZ scorpion vs a MP5. I would be curious to see how the bottom ejection of the P90 and AR57 compares to the MK57's delayed action but right side ejection.
View Quote
To me the PS90 is slightly more quiet at the ear being I'm a lefty.  The ar57 is loud at the ear due to the heavy bolt slamming back at the chamber.  The delayed blowback does help a whole lot with the ejection port gas compared to my non banshee 9mms.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 4:30:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Held one the other day at a LGS  damned nice
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 10:55:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

To me the PS90 is slightly more quiet at the ear being I'm a lefty.  The ar57 is loud at the ear due to the heavy bolt slamming back at the chamber.  The delayed blowback does help a whole lot with the ejection port gas compared to my non banshee 9mms.
View Quote
Interesting. If the good meters were more accessible it would be cool to see the metering data on the three at the ear. I imagine the P90s ejection port being underneath the shooters ear plays a part of it sounding better.
Link Posted: 11/15/2018 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Needs more mag!  I like it, would like to see the emergence of different capacity aftermarket magazines.
Link Posted: 11/22/2018 11:48:47 AM EDT
[#13]
How is the recoil compared to a SBR AR in 5.56?
I love my FiveseveN and really like the MK57 as a companion gun, a super light, compact PDW. I had a PS90 and just wasn’t wild about it. The mags were way long and inconvenient to carry and SBRing the thing was more than I wanted to deal with.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 12:31:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
thanks! great review. liked and subscribed.

was thinking of getting the dead air mask - great reviews and gives me an excuse to buy another rimfire rifle.

instead i might get a bowers bitty for more of a muzzle device than a hearing safe suppressor and keep that on for HD/PD. i would then buy a .556 suppressor for keeping it quiet when shooting steel on the property.
View Quote
the Bowers Bitty looks super fun, especially if you have lots of compact 22 pistols as well. Extremely compact. But the new Dead Air Nomad-30 or Sandman-K would give you better performance if you also want to suppress other rifles. DA's flash hider and QD mechanism on the Sandman series (also optional on the Nomad) is probably the best on the market.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:21:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Great stuff guys. Thanks!

Does anyone know if buffer tube that comes with the micro RipsStock accepts standard stocks?

If (when) i buy the 5" MK57 i would like to go ahead and buy the micro CQB RipsStock and run a SBA3 on the buffer tube. I realize i wouldnt have the ability to use the set screw but will the SBA3 fit? The Tailhook buffer tube that comes with the gun does not accept standard stocks.

I'd then throw the RipsStock on when i got the form 1 back.

I realize that the SBA3 comes with a buffer tube but the one i plan to use will be borrowed from another AR pistol so i wouldnt have an extra buffer tube...

Cheers
-z
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 10:51:52 AM EDT
[#16]
spoke with CMMG and they said the non-micro SBA3 would not fit properly on the micro tube. ill just throw a standard tube and standard SBA3 on until the stamp comes in.

i ended up buying the Mask. the main reason is that i dont want to add the extra weight of a muzzle device.

i read a rumor that Q was coming out with a 556 suppressor. something a bit smaller than the trash panda i think would be perfect on this gun with the light cherry bomb muzzle device. maybe ill end up with something like that.

edit: nevermind! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVRto0l4sYI
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#17]
newer version comes with SBA3

UPC 816422025312
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 10:03:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
newer version comes with SBA3

UPC 816422025312
View Quote
I figured the newer version would come with their new "rip brace" that is similar to the rip stock that comes on the SBR versions.
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 1:32:44 PM EDT
[#19]
i dont think they have made ar57 uppers in at least a year?
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#20]
i just got an email back from CMMG before i knew what the UPC code was which i was able to find online a few days ago. a bit disappointed by the response (UPC must be a secret ) but wont stop me from purchasing...

----
me: Hello, Can you tell me of any online retailers carrying the 300 version of the mk57? The only ones I see online have the tailhook brace vs the sba3. Do you have the UPC code for the 300 mk57? Thanks -Z

them: We are a build to order company, so you will barely find the new version out there.
-----

when i plugged the UPC into google i found a bunch of online retailers selling the gun.
Link Posted: 1/9/2019 1:46:20 PM EDT
[#21]
if its anything like the 9mm version (that I have) you will love it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 7:11:14 PM EDT
[#22]
I may have to pick one of these up one day. Really wish they would make a version of the guard in 22 tcm.

What kind of velocity and accuracy are people getting?
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I may have to pick one of these up one day. Really wish they would make a version of the guard in 22 tcm.

View Quote
22tcm would be wicked! I would think that it would be fairly easy as they could just use the 9mm version with a barrel swap, no?
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have no chrono'ed mine, but accuracy is insane.
one raggedy hole at 10 yards.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 12:47:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
The 8" guard was producing velocities just shy of the 10" P90
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone know what ambi CH would be compatible with this as I am a lefty?
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 10:42:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Don't mean to hijack the thread but does anyone know what ambi CH would be compatible with this as I am a lefty?
View Quote
It uses regular AR15 charging handles :D
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 11:29:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 4:53:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Wish someone would make a more economic model for us poor folks
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:41:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Wish someone would make a more economic model for us poor folks
View Quote
dip into the kid's college fund. he might go to community anyway.

yeah, not cheap for what it is but im dying to try that delayed system. ive seen the new ones with sba ripbrace for about $1350 (black). going to grab one after tax refund and keep it off the card. maybe ill buy a magazine to create need in my mind and get it sooner. suppressor for it has been in jail for a couple of months now i think. if i didnt already have two 9mm PCCs id be taking a hard look at the 9mm banshee. im trying to get my friends to buy it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 8:56:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
how is that echo trigger working out? is it as good or better than stock when shooting in semi?
Link Posted: 2/7/2019 10:17:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

how is that echo trigger working out? is it as good or better than stock when shooting in semi?
View Quote
Runs Great.  And when you add the trigger depot 3 gun spring upgrade, it makes the trigger pull even better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top