Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2018 5:15:33 PM EDT
Is the CLEO signature still required or it is just notification by copy of the form ?
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:17:06 PM EDT
[#1]
State law may vary but on the federal level the CLEO signoff has been reduced to notification for all NFA transfers.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
State law may vary but on the federal level the CLEO signoff has been reduced to notification for all NFA transfers.
View Quote
Yep, I just send them a copy of the form with a breif letter from me say, Hello.  The elcosed it a copy of the 5230.x or whatever, I'm required to send you a copy when I file this. You are not required to do anything with it, but be advised. So here ya go... :)
I send it certified, so that I get a receipt that they got it.   Then Ituck that in my NFA Folder file.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this just for sbr's, what about aow stamps, sbs, or cans?

Txl
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 6:32:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 2:21:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I sent a packet to the chief of police in my area last time. Never heard a peep. I wont bother doing it again. Waste of a stamp and my time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 3:30:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:20:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes I understand I'm supposed to but there is no point. Let's say I dont do it next time. What is the consequence? Does anyone check? Are they keeping a list? Its bullshit and if it ever came up, it wont, I would just say "yeah I sent it."
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:34:24 AM EDT
[#9]
While the threshold and probability of detection make the likelihood quite low (proving a negative), the penalty of getting caught lying on a federal tax form versus simply documenting that you mailed it, it seems like it isn't worth not complying.  I sign and date the CLEO RPQ the day I mail it, make copy and keep the dated postal receipt to the CLEO area code with the same date as corroborating evidence.  The postal clerks also don't mind if you take a photo of the envelope with postage before they toss it in the bin.

The current CLEO requirement is a useless vestigial process, but the bureaucrats have to make it look like they are doing something and they know that many people are mind slaves and are deterred from exercising their encumbered rights the more bullshit you lay in their path. How dare you point out the king has no clothes.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:43:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#11]
I've talked to a few departments around here about the CLEO notification for form 4 processing.

A lot of them you don't hear from and that is it. I can only assume that they processed the paperwork appropriately and did not find anything.

Some of them file the paperwork in the round filing cabinet after calling the shop and asking why they received the form.

I've had a couple argue that they are only required for silencers and nothing else .

I've also had two departments contact the ATF because the individual was not legally allowed to own a firearm in the state.

Whatever the department does with the form is up to them, but spending the $1 to send them the paperwork is worth it compared to the possible repercussions.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How they'd ever prove it? Dunno.
View Quote
I guess finding the post on the internet where the guy said he'd intentionally not comply with the requirement would be a good starting point...  
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:27:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Do you have to send it to the Sheriff of the county you live in? Or can it be sent to any Sheriff Dept. in your state?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:31:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Do you have to send it to the Sheriff of the county you live in? Or can it be sent to any Sheriff Dept. in your state?
View Quote
Any state level (or lower) CLEO who's agency would have jurisdiction over you, based on your stated residence.

So the chief of police of your city/town.
Sheriff of your county.
Head of the state police of your state.
Etc.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 10:26:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#16]
If you move to a different county but still in the same state...do you need to notify the Sheriff there?
Link Posted: 11/26/2018 6:02:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top