Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2019 3:16:17 PM EDT
So apparently CFE223 needs to be run on the hot end, to run clean and give low standard-deviations on velocity spread.   I'm curious, has anyone tested CFE Pistol power (in 9mm) and discovered if it too is tuned that way?

I don't mind running rifle ammo on the hot end, since it's designed to go far, and have minimized wind-drift (for the type of shooting I do).  But for pistol shooting, I tend to run that on the milder end; and am wondering if CFE Pistol was a good choice now...
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm working on 1000 rounds right now of 115gn FMJ 9mm wth CFE.  Hodgdon's reloading guide has 5.3-5.9 being the range for my bullet weight.

I tend to load light too on pistol so I found several posts where people had used 5.0.  Ended up testing everything between 5.0 and 5.6.  Finally settled on 5.6 for my load.  It was the most accurate and I did not get any smoke stains on the brass.  Good ejection patterns and runs good in all my 9mm's.

I use Win primers, mixed brass and RMR FMJ's loaded to 1.12.

I can't really tell you if hotter than middle of the road would be better.  I found a good load at 5.6 and stopped.  Hope this helps.  Also don't have a chrono to test, so no help there.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
My go to load with CFE pistol is 5.4 grains with a 124 FMJ.   I don't recall it really being temperamental on the lower charge weight in regards to extraction but I definitely had to chase velocity with case capacity for accuracy.   I think 5.5 grains is the max load with that combination.

I've loaded a ton of Ramshot Silhouette which is generally right above CFE pistol on a burn chart.  Silhouette in my experience always needed pushed hard and generally performed poorly on the low end.

I dropped Silhouette and use CFE and Power Pistol exclusively now.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#3]
It works but there are better choices for mild loads.
Link Posted: 1/13/2019 8:59:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It works but there are better choices for mild loads.
View Quote
Which powders do you like? I went out to grab some more power pistol, but they were out, so I bought a can of CFE to try. So far it seems to be pretty decent. When I went to clean the gun, there were no traces of copper in the barrel, which was pretty cool. I was a little skeptical if it actually worked as advertised, but it did.
Link Posted: 1/14/2019 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I've found that it needs to run hot or the cases have crap on them (from not sealing to the camber)
but other the. That I've been pretty happy with it. I usually run 5.5gr under one of several 124gr projectiles.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 4:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
5.4gr pushing 124gr xtp is ideal for me.

1.105” COL.

Cci 500 primers
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#7]
get some Allient SPORT PISTOL

or TITEGROUP
Link Posted: 1/16/2019 9:49:12 PM EDT
[#8]
It's good for 9mm Major rounds if that tells you anything.
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Which powders do you like? I went out to grab some more power pistol, but they were out, so I bought a can of CFE to try. So far it seems to be pretty decent. When I went to clean the gun, there were no traces of copper in the barrel, which was pretty cool. I was a little skeptical if it actually worked as advertised, but it did.
View Quote
good powders for mild 9mm loads:

Titegroup
Win231/HP-38
Sport Pistol
Bullseye
N320
Red Dot
WST
Link Posted: 1/17/2019 4:13:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

good powders for mild 9mm loads:

Titegroup
Win231/HP-38
Sport Pistol
Bullseye
N320
Red Dot
WST
View Quote
I would like to add WSF, Longshot, and HS-6.
Near max charge of WSF or HS-6 with a CCI 550 SP Magnum primer is super clean.
Can sub CCI 400 SR for CCI 550 SPM.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 4:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I would like to add WSF, Longshot, and HS-6.
Near max charge of WSF or HS-6 with a CCI 550 SP Magnum primer is super clean.
Can sub CCI 400 SR for CCI 550 SPM.
View Quote
My list was in response to a query about powders optimized for "mild" 9mm loads.

WSF likes to be run hot, you can run it softer but it is dirty, snappy, and loud at minor loads.
I have no experience with longshot but judging from its place on the burn rate charts, I daresay it would not be a great choice.  
HS-6 is a well-loved powder for 38SC and 9mm major, not appropriate for minor loads.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#13]
My CFE pistol load is toward the hot side, but I did not have any trouble as I was working way my up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top