Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2020 12:49:57 PM EDT
Anybody have any loads for this ?  Looking for 208 amax loads and some for 120 grn and 140 grn.  Just starting out loading .300 BLK.  Local place had a jug of this powder and recommended it.  It seems like its new and I cant find much info about it.  Read its dirty on light loadings.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 2:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#2]
11.6gr and work down.

OAL 2.260”

This is from Hodgdon’s site for the 208 Amax.

I don’t load 208s but I loaded 217s and 220s with it and they both ended up in the low 9gr range. That’s for an 8” barrel.

In practice CFE BLK is best suited for heavier subs. 208s should be fine but there are much better options for supers.

CFE BLK is very much a middle of the road powder. Not quiet, not super loud, not the dirtiest, not the cleanest, etc.

I prefer N120 but CFE BLK won’t cause you issues outside of the noise.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 12:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In practice CFE BLK is best suited for heavier subs. 208s should be fine but there are much better options for supers.
View Quote

Agreed.  I run H110 for supers, lots of folks also recommend Lil'Gun.  

AA1680 is my 300blk subs go-to powder.
Link Posted: 10/17/2020 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I  loaded a dummy round and my lee die wont adjust enough to get a 2.260 oal.  The bullet is barley in the case at 2.150.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 1:13:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 1:14:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I  loaded a dummy round and my lee die wont adjust enough to get a 2.260 oal.  The bullet is barley in the case at 2.150.
View Quote

Can you take a picture? That doesn’t sound right. Should have plenty in the case at 2.26.

This is a pic of factory Hornady, and while I’ve never bought this exact load, their factory offerings usually share OAL with their reloading guidelines, so I’d assume this is roughly what 2.26” looks like.

Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:32:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry I messed up.  The bullets were not 208 amax.  I bought a bag of 220 grn bullets of unknown origin.  The amax gave me 2.260 just fine.  I dot know what to do with these mystery 220s though.  At 2.260 the cannelure is 1/8 in from the case mouth.  I would like to load them for my HR .300blk single shot. but dont know where to start.  I guess thats why they were $4 for 100 at a yard sale.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I’d load a dummy to 2.26, and see if it chambers (don’t crimp it, but take the flare off). If it doesn’t, seat it 20 mils in and try again. Repeat until it does. Then go in another 10-15 mils for good measure.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 7:59:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Sorry I messed up.  The bullets were not 208 amax.  I bought a bag of 220 grn bullets of unknown origin.  The amax gave me 2.260 just fine.  I dot know what to do with these mystery 220s though.  At 2.260 the cannelure is 1/8 in from the case mouth.  I would like to load them for my HR .300blk single shot. but dont know where to start.  I guess thats why they were $4 for 100 at a yard sale.
View Quote

Lots of 308 bullets will have a cannelure that you will need to ignore for 300 blackout. Below is the hodgdon rifle data link.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

The only load data I have for 220s are the Everglades plated that I extrapolated from several sources so take it as you will. It may give you a starting off point though. Loaded to 2.260 OAL. 10.3 barrel where I was looking for a decent load to shoot suppressed with relatively okay groups.

12.8 grains on the high end that got me min. 1103 - max 1131 fps. and SD of 10.6.
11.8 grains on the low end with a min. 934 and max. 1024 fps. and SD of 37.2.

I settled on 12.0 grains which keeps me under 1050 and general SDs in the mid/high teens so far.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 11:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:04:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info.  Im worried about seating them.  What is the least amount of bullet you can seat in the case?  I dont want to overpressure with it too deep.  Maybe I can measure the min amount and mark it on the bullet and seat it to that depth and try it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#12]
Ignore the cannelure in this instance.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:05:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info.  Im worried about seating them.  What is the least amount of bullet you can seat in the case?  I dont want to overpressure with it too deep.  Maybe I can measure the min amount and mark it on the bullet and seat it to that depth and try it.
View Quote

Least amount would depend on neck tension. Can you seat the bullet  to the neck shoulder juncture and measure? What’s your OAL? If too long, seat to the shoulder-body juncture. Measure. OAL? I would say seating to the neck-shoulder as a minimum in a semi-auto for neck tension. Seating to the shoulder body as a maximum. Seating to the shoulder-body juncture uses about the same cartridge space as most BT bullets.

I suspect you have a 30-30 bullet which can be used but the cannelure will not be in the right spot for the 300. Ignore it. You can seat bullets outside of the suggested range above but requires special needs.  I load a 30BR that only uses @25% of the neck but it is jammed to create pressure that is lost on neck tension. I load heavy for caliber 6.8 where the cannelure is no where near the mouth just as you describe with you loading.

Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:16:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I don't ever stop at garage sales...but this thread makes me want to.  I know if I see anything that looks like gun or reloading stuff I'll definitely stop.  GL OP, looks like you've been pointed in the right direction.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 12:10:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Least amount would depend on neck tension. Can you seat the bullet  to the neck shoulder juncture and measure? What’s your OAL? If too long, seat to the shoulder-body juncture. Measure. OAL? I would say seating to the neck-shoulder as a minimum in a semi-auto for neck tension. Seating to the shoulder body as a maximum. Seating to the shoulder-body juncture uses about the same cartridge space as most BT bullets.

I suspect you have a 30-30 bullet which can be used but the cannelure will not be in the right spot for the 300. Ignore it. You can seat bullets outside of the suggested range above but requires special needs.  I load a 30BR that only uses @25% of the neck but it is jammed to create pressure that is lost on neck tension. I load heavy for caliber 6.8 where the cannelure is no where near the mouth just as you describe with you loading.

View Quote

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a 220gr 30-30 bullet.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 1:49:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

With most heavy bullets, seating depth (length of the bullet) seated into the case will be pretty substantial, which is offset by the lower charge volumes. Someone please correct me if Im wrong, but I think its not typical that you have to worry about overpressure situations in 300 blackout, especially with heavy subs. I just don't think you can get enough of most of the current powders into the case to cause this. It MAY be possible with really light bullets and fast powder, or if you start loading too long sticking the bullet up into the lands on chambering.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

With most heavy bullets, seating depth (length of the bullet) seated into the case will be pretty substantial, which is offset by the lower charge volumes. Someone please correct me if Im wrong, but I think its not typical that you have to worry about overpressure situations in 300 blackout, especially with heavy subs. I just don't think you can get enough of most of the current powders into the case to cause this. It MAY be possible with really light bullets and fast powder, or if you start loading too long sticking the bullet up into the lands on chambering.
View Quote

You are correct. Over pressure is a non issue with 300 BLK subs if you are actually charging them to sub velocities.

Supers are a different matter.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 6:48:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks again guys.  So i can set the bullet 1 bullet diameter in and load it.  OAL will be 2.150 and I dont have to worry about pressure because of the light powder charge.  Thats what I thought, but the load data for a 220 bullet is 2.260 which I cannot get with these.  I counted and got 225 220 grn bullets for $4.  I got 40 fully loaded .308 soft points for $4, a bullet puller for $2, large rifle and pistol primers for $10 a box of 1k, unique 1lb containers for $10 and imr 4401 for $10 as well.  Plastic bullet boxes for .50c I spent $180 in total on all the stuff.  Took me 3 trips to my truck.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 7:28:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks again guys.  So i can set the bullet 1 bullet diameter in and load it.  OAL will be 2.150 and I dont have to worry about pressure because of the light powder charge.  Thats what I thought, but the load data for a 220 bullet is 2.260 which I cannot get with these.  I counted and got 225 220 grn bullets for $4.  I got 40 fully loaded .308 soft points for $4, a bullet puller for $2, large rifle and pistol primers for $10 a box of 1k, unique 1lb containers for $10 and imr 4401 for $10 as well.  Plastic bullet boxes for .50c I spent $180 in total on all the stuff.  Took me 3 trips to my truck.
View Quote

Nice score.

Unsolicited advice, but I would NOT shoot the reloads. No way of knowing they are safe.

Pull them down with your new bullet puller and reuse the primed brass and projectile.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Nice score.

Unsolicited advice, but I would NOT shoot the reloads. No way of knowing they are safe.

Pull them down with your new bullet puller and reuse the primed brass and projectile.
View Quote

Yes i planned on doing that.  The guy I bought them from said this and wrote it on the box.  Now Im looking for something to weigh the powder for my cases.  A beam seems too slow and cheap auto chargers can drift.  I need something affordable quick and accurate.  ?   Under $100 would be great.  Any ideas.  Ill only be loading .300 for the foreseeable future and mostly subs so bench rest accuracy isnt needed at this time.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:33:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes i planned on doing that.  The guy I bought them from said this and wrote it on the box.  Now Im looking for something to weigh the powder for my cases.  A beam seems too slow and cheap auto chargers can drift.  I need something affordable quick and accurate.  ?   Under $100 would be great.  Any ideas.  Ill only be loading .300 for the foreseeable future and mostly subs so bench rest accuracy isnt needed at this time.
View Quote

Beam Scale. Check out the RCBS/Ohaus 505 scales. I think Dillon has a rebranded 505 as well.

A beam scale is only used to get your powder measure set up properly. Then only every so often just to make sure everything is staying adjusted properly. Some check every 10, every 20, or maybe even every 50 rounds. Personal preference here. I’ve never had an issue with my PM drifting on me and I rarely load near max, so I don’t check as often but that’s just me.

A cheap digital could work for 300 subs but personally I found them to be a headache.

Either Beam, or drop $450 on an FX-120i. Some people will say autochargers are worth it but again, many different opinions here.

I have a beam scale and an Autotrickler with an FX-120i. It is overkill for most people including myself but it was definitely a splurge purchase. The beam scale isn’t bad.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 8:53:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Beam Scale. Check out the RCBS/Ohaus 505 scales. I think Dillon has a rebranded 505 as well.

A beam scale is only used to get your powder measure set up properly. Then only every so often just to make sure everything is staying adjusted properly. Some check every 10, every 20, or maybe even every 50 rounds. Personal preference here. I’ve never had an issue with my PM drifting on me and I rarely load near max, so I don’t check as often but that’s just me.

A cheap digital could work for 300 subs but personally I found them to be a headache.

Either Beam, or drop $450 on an FX-120i. Some people will say autochargers are worth it but again, many different opinions here.

I have a beam scale and an Autotrickler with an FX-120i. It is overkill for most people including myself but it was definitely a splurge purchase. The beam scale isn’t bad.
View Quote

I dont understand.  What do you use to throw charges if you just use the beam to check them every 20 charges?  I did buy a lee scoop set for $3 off the guy as well.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:53:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I dont understand.  What do you use to throw charges if you just use the beam to check them every 20 charges?  I did buy a lee scoop set for $3 off the guy as well.
View Quote

A piece of equipment called a Powder Measure.

I use one similar to this Lee

You have an adjustment screw that changes the amount of powder dropped per “throw” - so you throw a charge into your pan, and weigh it.

Then adjust as necessary.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 10:42:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:41:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Ok I get it.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:04:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Would you prefer..30-30 style bullet with long neck brass and a deep cannelure bullet? The idea was the style of bullet which I have quite a few of and have to seat with the cannelure above the mouth.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 12:37:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Would you prefer..30-30 style bullet with long neck brass and a deep cannelure bullet? The idea was the style of bullet which I have quite a few of and have to seat with the cannelure above the mouth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have no preference I just haven’t seen one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#29]
I would NOT buy that plastic Lee powder measure suggested above.
I just bought one and returned it.
It sifted powder(flake) out the sides of the powder measure cylinder wiith every drop.
Save your money and buy a used RCBS Uniflow and then get a small cylinder and stem from rcbs for $43.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 7:34:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I would NOT buy that plastic Lee powder measure suggested above.
I just bought one and returned it.
It sifted powder(flake) out the sides of the powder measure cylinder wiith every drop.
Save your money and buy a used RCBS Uniflow and then get a small cylinder and stem from rcbs for $43.
View Quote

I need one now.  New they are all sold out everywhere.  Ill check local.  I found the completion one for a little more money is it good to go?
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I need one now.  New they are all sold out everywhere.  Ill check local.  I found the completion one for a little more money is it good to go?
View Quote

Well there are plenty on ebay and the one I got was new but it was crap. Less than $32 shipped iirc.

I don't know about the other models.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:02:10 PM EDT
[#32]
I bought a uniflow locally for $93 and a redding beam scale for $82.  Made my first bullet.  10.6 grns of cfe.  Didnt keyhole.  Ill up it to 11 and try that tomorrow.  I figure Ill increase the charge to max.  If none keyhole then Ill try them with a can to see what the highest charge I can get to stay subsonic.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 6:41:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I bought a uniflow locally for $93 and a redding beam scale for $82.  Made my first bullet.  10.6 grns of cfe.  Didnt keyhole.  Ill up it to 11 and try that tomorrow.  I figure Ill increase the charge to max.  If none keyhole then Ill try them with a can to see what the highest charge I can get to stay subsonic.
View Quote

What is your barrel length? And I’m guessing from the charge weight that load was with the heavy amax  bullet? The reason I ask, cfebkack is a low pressure powder and will not cycle my 8” 300BO with light bullets without a suppressor.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

What is your barrel length? And I’m guessing from the charge weight that load was with the heavy amax  bullet? The reason I ask, cfebkack is a low pressure powder and will not cycle my 8” 300BO with light bullets without a suppressor.
View Quote

Im going to be running it in 3 different guns.  A handy rifle 16'', a 8'' and 10.5'' AR.  The guns are all suppressed for subs.  What loading are you using for the lighter bullets.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Im going to be running it in 3 different guns.  A handy rifle 16'', a 8'' and 10.5'' AR.  The guns are all suppressed for subs.  What loading are you using for the lighter bullets.
View Quote

For lighter bullets I’d use H110. That’s just me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:22:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Leigh defense just got the 198 grn max expansion bullets back in stock.  I ordered 500.  Ouch.  Their loading data is for 1680,110 and 4227.  Im not sure I can find those powders.  Whats the closest one to cfe?  All the loads are around 11 grns.  Is that where I should start with the cfe?
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:31:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

For lighter bullets I’d use H110. That’s just me.
View Quote

This man knows. H110 or W296. I used srm primers for 296. Haven’t used H110 yet. Will be here Tuesday but they pretty much load identical for 300BO.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Leigh defense just got the 198 grn max expansion bullets back in stock.  I ordered 500.  Ouch.  Their loading data is for 1680,110 and 4227.  Im not sure I can find those powders.  Whats the closest one to cfe?  All the loads are around 11 grns.  Is that where I should start with the cfe?
View Quote

11 grains should be close. You will only be 13 to 14k psi which is very low. Be sure to report back if it runs suppressed. I seriously doubt there is any chance cycling unsuppressed.

Also, if you are running dedicated suppressed I wouldn’t worry about the powder. Cfeblack is good here for less gas in the face due to the low pressure. I like to find loads that work both ways in sbr.

I do have a 6.8spc with a Wilson 11.3 barrel that refuses to cycle subsonic unsuppressed. I may try H110 here with srm primers to see how it works.
Link Posted: 10/23/2020 8:56:22 PM EDT
[#39]
i found the load data on a link on the website.  11.5 cfe 1060 fps, 12.1 1125 fps.  11 it is to start.  All these loads are subsonic so I will shoot them suppressed.  Thats the idea right?  Otherwise run supers.  They are cheaper.  I have  110 125 147 180 grn bullets I bought to play with later.  Thanks for all the help.  I cant wait to start ringing the steele with my own loads tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top