Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2021 11:49:45 AM EDT
A local shop has one for $1K.  Wood furniture.  Older version, not the C308.  I wish I would have bought the C308 when they were in the $600's, but they've seemed to have dried-up.
I already have a PTR-91, but kind of wanted another of this platform.

Any info./opinions on the old CAI Cetme's?

**Update**

So I decided to roll the dice and made the purchase.  Bolt gap is on the lower side of spec, but it's where it's suppose to be.  The rear of the bolt is grounded.  

I took it out and using 7-8 rounds per mag of PPU (2 Cetme & 2 HK91) it ran flawlessly.  I only had about 25 yards to work with though.  It shot high and to the left (see target - Aiming for middle dot).  Reliability and some what accurate was my may concern.  I can't complain.  Is there a way to adj. windage on these?  

Off to the garage to remove the comp and add the proper FH.

Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:43:10 PM EDT
[#1]
I remember these from the late 90s and early 00s.
They seemed more miss than hit. I remember many of them not running reliability because of malformed receivers or something.
Iirc they were jamming them into HK receivers and the difference was enough to screw them up.
The one I was exposed to ran pretty good.
The owner told me the amount of work he Had to do to get it that far was crazy and he was just done with it at that point.
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I had 2 of them many years ago, one was great and ran perfect, had ARS chop into a g3k wannabe. The other was a nightmare.
If I remember correctly, you want an earlier version with a S/N under C10,000. After that they started making stuff with ground bolts etc, the better ones I think the good ones were made in St Albans VT and not Georgia VT so check the receiver markings before you buy, and my nightmare Cetme wouldn’t charge easily, like had to pogo the handle on a table to move it lol
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 6:56:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine was fantastic after I worked the action a few hundred times to loosen it up.

Link Posted: 3/15/2021 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Century ground down the back of the bolts on some of them to make them run.  Check and if it is ground down run away
Link Posted: 3/16/2021 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one with the ground down bolt.  I do not remember if it was the bolt or the carrier that got ground down. The gaps all tested good of course since they ground it down rather than changing rollers.  Despite that she's been a reliable beast.  It will launch brass about a mile away, never to be seen again.  

Currently it's wearing HK green furniture with the wide handguard.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Updated in first post.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Windage and elevation are adjusted with the front sight. The post is eccentric, so you adjust for elevation, then screw it in or out a little bit to swing the post left or right for windage. It's a battle sight, so you aren't going to get match precision. There are purpose-made sight adjusting tools, dunno how easy it would be to find one.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#8]
My Cetme ran great even after the weld broke between the cocking tube and the receiver. My brother in law stainless steel welded
it for me and I cleaned it up and gave it a gunkote job. Still runs fine, actually.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 10:48:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A local shop has one for $1K.  Wood furniture.  Older version, not the C308.  I wish I would have bought the C308 when they were in the $600's, but they've seemed to have dried-up.
I already have a PTR-91, but kind of wanted another of this platform.

Any info./opinions on the old CAI Cetme's?

**Update**

So I decided to roll the dice and made the purchase.  Bolt gap is on the lower side of spec, but it's where it's suppose to be.  The rear of the bolt is grounded.  

I took it out and using 7-8 rounds per mag of PPU (2 Cetme & 2 HK91) it ran flawlessly.  I only had about 25 yards to work with though.  It shot high and to the left (see target - Aiming for middle dot).  Reliability and some what accurate was my may concern.  I can't complain.  Is there a way to adj. windage on these?  

Off to the garage to remove the comp and add the proper FH.

https://i.imgur.com/4uOdYkY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/axmewaE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/S5iWHU7.jpg
View Quote

The windage on those is a rather odd arrangement. The front sight post is actually eccentric(meaning the post isn’t on center). So you get the elevation  close, and then you rotate it either more or less to get the windage. It sounds really crude, but in my experience works rather well.

Mags are still fairly inexpensive, so grab some if you think you might want some.

If it’s running like it should, don’t sweat the mechanical stuff. If you start having problems, then delve into it. Grab a set of oversized rollers in the meantime-just in case you need them later.

There’s a lot of discussion on all of it, but honestly from everything I’ve read, I’m not convinced the Spanish didn’t grind their own bolts.

At any rate, enjoy your CETME! I could hit steel at 700 with my old one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2021 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for the info.

My main concern was reliability and this thing passed.  It probably won't see more than 200 rounds while I'm the owner.  I just wanted a Cetme (already have a PTR-91 G3).  I kind of collect Military type weapons.  I always find it hard to make something into a tacti-cool rifle, as I always want to leave it in it's original condition.  I already order a US FH from HKParts.
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 12:17:33 PM EDT
[#11]
@dump1567

If the bolt head is ground I would replace it with another one and replace the locking piece then see how your bolt gap times out.
Apex has both pieces in stock
https://www.apexgunparts.com/cetme-bolt-head-w-no-parts-fitted-7-62x51-new.html
https://www.apexgunparts.com/cetme-locking-piece-good.html
Link Posted: 4/6/2021 1:44:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@dump1567

If the bolt head is ground I would replace it with another one and replace the locking piece then see how your bolt gap times out.
Apex has both pieces in stock
https://www.apexgunparts.com/cetme-bolt-head-w-no-parts-fitted-7-62x51-new.html
https://www.apexgunparts.com/cetme-locking-piece-good.html
View Quote

Thanks for the info.

It works, so I'm just going to leave it alone.  It probably won't be shot much. I added a FH, bayo lug, sling, and a few mags.    I had my PTR hanging on the wall behind my desk, and this has now replaced it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top