Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/23/2020 1:29:42 PM EDT
So I picked u a Century Arms C93 rifle the other day.  And I was surprised on how good it looked, The welds all look very nice and the finish is also nice. The stocks have been painted,
The bolt is all numbers matching. I did replace the lower trigger housing with one from my PTR 9CT. Looks better now.

SO what are the common problems with them other than the Century monkeys built it?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 2:08:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on which subcontractor built it. PTR made a bunch. I think Toad Bailey did too, so...
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Check bolt gap.

Shoot it a bunch...assuming in spec.

Check again.

Usually if it is in spec it's GTG.  Some have had the gap change then settle in.

I'm looking for another one.  They are usually a good buy.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 6:12:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I purchased a C93 in the fall of 2016, no problems with it yet.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:17:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Check bolt gap.

Shoot it a bunch...assuming in spec.

Check again.

Usually if it is in spec it's GTG.  Some have had the gap change then settle in.

I'm looking for another one.  They are usually a good buy.
View Quote
Bolt  gap is good around .016. If anything it’s a little tight. They have gone up in price, Used ones now are more then they sold for new.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#5]
The very early ones were good. But not long after these guns came to market, the spec for the barrels was changed. Instead of the original spec for the diameter of the chamber end of the barrel, the diameter was reduced so the barrels could more easily be pressed into the trunnion. The problem is the reduction of friction between the barrel and the trunnion, aloud the barrel to move away from the bolt group. So the bolt gap would go away. The only remedy is replacement of the barrel.

My C93 started with a bolt gap of 0.017". After a few hundred rounds the bolt gap has dropped to 0.012". I bought a Rim Country CHF nitrided barrel for it. I just haven't gotten around to having the barrel replaced. At the same time I would have to paddle mag release installed.

When I bought the C93, many said that a C93 is a parts kit you could shoot. Some got lucky and their bolt gap didn't seem to go away. I was unlucky. My bolt gap started going away, right away. So cross your fingers and run your gun. Hopefully the bolt gap won't start going away.

Scott
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:33:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The problem is the reduction of friction between the barrel and the trunnion, aloud the barrel to move away from the bolt group. So the bolt gap would go away. The only remedy is replacement of the barrel.

Scott
View Quote
The barrels will move even when pinned into the trunnion?
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 3:42:02 PM EDT
[#7]
My PTR built version runs great. The build quality is as nice as my PTR-91 I also own. Like others have said, just check the bolt gap every so often.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:29:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Allied Armament (Scappoose Oregon) made a bunch for Century also.

They sold their tooling a couple years ago on GB.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:02:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Check and see if the 'factory' mag was modified to fit the gun due to an out of spec mag well.  They will sometimes file down the mag stops on the side of the mag to make it fit.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 9:12:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check and see if the 'factory' mag was modified to fit the gun due to an out of spec mag well.  They will sometimes file down the mag stops on the side of the mag to make it fit.
View Quote
I have 5 other mags and they all seem to fit fine.  I have not fired it yet
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 10:41:53 AM EDT
[#11]
My first semi rifle I bought was a c308 for 300 and it’s still shooting fine, had one issue a friend was able to fix and besides that it’s been running for over 10 years
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
@canon3825
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The problem is the reduction of friction between the barrel and the trunnion, aloud the barrel to move away from the bolt group. So the bolt gap would go away. The only remedy is replacement of the barrel.

Scott
@canon3825
Bump for confused?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:33:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Bump for confused?  
View Quote
Not to answer for him but I doubt it

Hell Im going to pin a barrel that basically has almost zero interference fit and I dont think there will be a issue

But I am considering using two pins
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:01:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Bump for confused?  
View Quote
Found this description below in an archived thread MP5 Bolt Gap Opinions
The C93's that were not built with adequate bolt gap most likely exhibited the problem much sooner than expected. New locking piece and oversized rollers could get you back into the specified "good" range if the gap measures below min.

Author: Stahlgewehr762 - On a new roller lock, the bolt gap will typically “shrink” some, once it is fired a bit. This happens as the new parts wear-in, and if the barrel moves forward a tiny amount against its retaining pin. Also, over many thousands of rounds, as actual wear accumulates on the gun, the rollers, locking piece and trunnion wear will result in a smaller bolt gap. So it makes sense to start with a large bolt gap on a new roller lock, as it gives the gun the longest service life possible.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:41:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Okay, the parts wearing in makes much more sense as any high spots are knocked down.  The .001 press fit pin, not as much.  Thanks for the clarification!
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 6:00:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Bought my C93 maybe 10 years ago, installed one of my sears and have shot 1000's of rounds, no issues. Gap is at .018" right now
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:43:12 PM EDT
[#17]
How much are mags demanding today?
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 7:44:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
How much are mags demanding today?
View Quote
Used 40 rounders are $55 and up
New 30 rounders are $50 and up
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Used 40 rounders are $55 and up
New 30 rounders are $50 and up
View Quote
Unless you consider Promags viable - which are $12-$20 each.  The are polymer and don't look nice, but the ones I have work well in two C93s (rifle and pistol/SBR config)

Good mags for the range until you HK snob Friends see you
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Unless you consider Promags viable - which are $12-$20 each.  The are polymer and don't look nice, but the ones I have work well in two C93s (rifle and pistol/SBR config)

View Quote
agree, I have had no problems with the Promags as well,  concur they feel about as sturdy as a pringles can lid and don't look very appealing but they work.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:35:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
agree, I have had no problems with the Promags as well,  concur they feel about as sturdy as a pringles can lid and don't look very appealing but they work.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

About the only Promag that is anything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top