Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2020 11:58:55 PM EDT
Other than price, whats the difference? I like the wood stocks on the C308 but the PTR has a lifetime warranty.

People have said that the Century stuff is junk but all the reviews I have read were all positive.

I know nothing about these rifles and cant see any differences other than one has wood the other is polymer.

Somebody school a noob.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:03:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Um, yea.

One is century, the other is a reputable company.
I own both, and the PTR is leap years beyond the C308.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok, so what is the difference between them?

Are they different rifles?

They are both based on the HK91, correct?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:19:52 AM EDT
[#3]
One the bolt gap will shrink to nothing in 300 rnds. The other the bolt gap will shrink to nothing in 3000 rnds. Are the century monkeys still grinding G3 bolts to correct bolt gap?
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
So, the only difference is quality?

Seeing as I like the wood stocks, could I install the wood from a C308 onto  a PTR?

I see places with the wood stocks for sale cheap.

Thanks for the replies, like I said, I know nothing about these.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:50:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Get the PTR GI (with or without rail depending if you plan on optics).  Add wood furniture if it suits your taste. The GI also comes with a steel lower, which is nicer IMHO. You’ll be happier.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So, the only difference is quality?

Seeing as I like the wood stocks, could I install the wood from a C308 onto  a PTR?

I see places with the wood stocks for sale cheap.

Thanks for the replies, like I said, I know nothing about these.
View Quote

As the owner of an older CETME and the later C308, I say spend the extra bucks and get the PTR.

Parts: PTR makes parts, while some HK parts will interchange with the CETME there is a lot that do not.  Once the surplus parts dry up that's it for CETME parts.

Wood HK furniture is out there but the price is considerably more than it used to be.  
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 9:38:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I've been super happy with my PTR 91 with one of my sears installed, it makes it a great assault weapon. Fit finish not HK but it's right there. Now my Century Arms well it needs some TLC. The weld semi holding the trunnion in place is weak, there is welding needed in both sides of the receiver channels. If I had to buy one or the other I'd go with the PTR again.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 6:40:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:11:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I just ordered a PTR 91 GIR.  I debated the C308 vs PTR 91 question.  I decided that it was better to just spend the extra cash and not tempt fate.  Plus it comes with metal lower, paddle mag release and warranty.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:17:08 PM EDT
[#10]
The Century guns were made with shot to shit surplus and assembled by drunken monkeys...

The PTR Guns were assembled by craftspeople using new arsenal producted parts with a warranty...

Century was infamous for "fixing" excessive headspace by GRINDING the back of the bolt (a NO-NO) instead of taking the time to fit oversized rollers to fix it property.

You could not GIVE me a Century Gun...

I spent hard earned money on a PTR & got a great shooting gun & value.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#11]
PTR made a lot of the parts for the C308 including the receivers. They may have even possibly assembled them for Century. So when you see people talking about the welding or other parts off the C308, they probably don’t know what they are tackling about.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:24:27 PM EDT
[#12]
LoL why does anyone buy anything from Century? Over the last decade I can't assign a number to how many complaints I have read from rifles they put together.
Link Posted: 4/19/2020 8:48:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the info folks.

Looks like a PTR91 GIR will be getting ordered soon.
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:53:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Some C308 owners here......some who can’t differentiate guns.....

Right now: C308s are within $150 of PTRs.  Get a PTR.  I got My C308 for $500 and was $350 savings.   When the prices are as close as they are now upgrade for a little more.

The C308s are head and shoulders above the older Cetmes.   Seen and sold a bunch with none of the old cetmes.   The reciever is made by PTR.   They generally work but will be cruder and may have a quirk.

Link Posted: 4/20/2020 6:32:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy a ptr91 pistol and sbr her.

Mine, always garners attention at the range.

Only took 5 months for my form 1 to be approved.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:34:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought a c308 at a gun show 4 months ago for $400 and its been great so far. My only complaint has been that some mags require trimming to get them to lock in. Accuracy has been around 4-5 moa with wolf ammo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 6:38:52 PM EDT
[#18]
I bought a C308 a couple of months ago.  The front sight was canted. I sent it back and they fixed it- 2 week turnaround. It has fed 6 different commercial loads and two different handloads without a single failure.  The trigger is 9 lbs, and it still put 3 bullets through one hole twice at 25 yards when I zeroed it.  I plan on fixing the trigger.  Easily a 1 moa rifle, and very reliable. At least so far.  And I love the wood furniture look. Something very “Cold War” about it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 8:05:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GrantS:
Some C308 owners here......some who can’t differentiate guns.....

Right now: C308s are within $150 of PTRs.  Get a PTR.  I got My C308 for $500 and was $350 savings.   When the prices are as close as they are now upgrade for a little more. 

The C308s are head and shoulders above the older Cetmes.   Seen and sold a bunch with none of the old cetmes.   The reciever is made by PTR.   They generally work but will be cruder and may have a quirk. 

This...

I paid $449 for mine "new" and that was w/ s&h included and no sales tax. $20 got me decent Cetme C wood. Hardware store $.39 for the forearm bolt & $12 for the sling & stock tab.

Always gets looks at the range. Won't let me use Cetme mags. I don't care because I got a dozen G3's for $30. Hasn't had one single malfunction. Bought it in August 2017. Bolt wasn't ground, headspace was good and welds were fine. Only bad thing was the rear sight was Fubar. Out came the dremel, problem solved.

PTR's were around $800 then. Even though PTR makes a good portion of the parts now, if the price is only a $150 difference now, get the PTR.

View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top