Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/12/2018 5:54:40 PM EDT
I've found a fella that's selling a Fort Knox 7241 Titan series safe. He said he bought it new in 2005 for 5500$ plus moving costs. He's got it listed for 5000$ right now.

Two noteworthy things:

1. 2005 models did not have standard AR500 steel or the star corner bolts. It does have the 4 round corner bolts though. In place of the AR500 steel, this has "reinforced steel" as they say. I'm not sure, if anyone can help clarify this it would be great. Maybe a 2005 catalog or something...
2. Ft Knox does not transfer warranties.

Another thing that concerns me is if you just google "used fort knox 7241 titan" the third thing that comes up 4 custom safes that were sold for 2000$ each... I know I don't know those safes very well, but the price is concerning.

So, if I buy it, it would cost me 5500$ total after moving fees. Mind you other retailers online sell this for 6700$ with a 500$ moving fee. So the difference is 1700$.

He says he's open to offers and, unfortunately, I'm not the type to bust ice haggling so I'd like to just get some well rounded ideas among this crowd and take it to the bank from there.

Help is greatly appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 6:56:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have any info on the FN safes specifically, but for that kind of cash you could definitely score a nice used TL rated safe.  I found a very nice Diebold 72x40x30 for $1,500 on craigslist a few years back from a bank that went out of business.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 7:37:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a local dealer that has a Mosler Tl-15 safe with 1" steel walls and 1.5" steel door. But 0 fire protection. Wasn't in great shape, but mechanically sound for 1300$... I'm looking for a well rounded safe so I need some fire protection for documents and such also. I disregarded it. Should I reconsider?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a local dealer that has a Mosler Tl-15 safe with 1" steel walls and 1.5" steel door. But 0 fire protection. Wasn't in great shape, but mechanically sound for 1300$... I'm looking for a well rounded safe so I need some fire protection for documents and such also. I disregarded it. Should I reconsider?
View Quote
It's a very decent gun safe but the owner will never get that price for it unless someone is very unknowing and accepts that price.
Used safes do not command that sort of price.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Which one are you talking about. The fort knox, or the mosler? The ft knox hes wanting 5000$ and a different guy wants 1300$ for the mosler.

What price would you recommend?
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:48:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Which one are you talking about. The fort knox, or the mosler? The ft knox hes wanting 5000$ and a different guy wants 1300$ for the mosler.

What price would you recommend?
View Quote
The Knox is WAY over priced.
I have no idea about the Mosler but most were very heavy duty safes and offer more protection than a gun safe.
I have no idea what sort of fire protection the Mosler would have.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:54:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Gad offer the guy $2750 for the Knox.
If he accepts then hire a real safe and vault company to move from the sellers place to yours.
After watching this feat you will be glad you hired them.
There is very little chance the guy will get anywhere near his asking price.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Thank you. Does anyone else feel then safe would be worth about 2750, more or less? I want to be fair, I hate swindling and being swindled. I'm looking for a fair deal for both of us.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#8]
If I had $5500 for the used one I would save a little longer and buy the brand new one for $6700. No way I would pay $5000 for a 13 year old safe. Like the other guys said if I'm buying that safe I'm paying half what a new one is or less.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:24:27 PM EDT
[#9]
We sell used safes for half of what they sold for new.  Some exceptional gun safes may push up to 60% to 70%.  This includes a new lock and a 1 year warranty.

Safes do not generally appreciate in value, but gun safes do hold more of their value due to demand.  What he paid to move it means nothing.  It's worth +/- $2,500 at best.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thank you. Does anyone else feel then safe would be worth about 2750, more or less? I want to be fair, I hate swindling and being swindled. I'm looking for a fair deal for both of us.
View Quote
Would you basically pay near MSRP for a 13 year old vehicle??
Safes depreciate just like most goods.
Even in like new condition.
There is no way that Knox is even worth near what the person is asking.
The seller will get a reality shock soon enough.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Alright thanks for the insight. I appreciate the help. Let's see where it goes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Well, cool stuff, he's very understanding and is entertaining an offer of 2750$. He's going to sleep on it and let see if there are any other takers, but it has to be moved within 2 weeks so, who knows... Might have a new safe soon.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 9:35:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Well, cool stuff, he's very understanding and is entertaining an offer of 2750$. He's going to sleep on it and let see if there are any other takers, but it has to be moved within 2 weeks so, who knows... Might have a new safe soon.

Thanks for the help.
View Quote
Unless some fool comes along and pays his full asking price, I don't think he will have other offers that beat you. I would have started lower, but I like to haggle.

Your concern on the corner bolts... I don't think that's anything more than marketing... I don't remember seeing corner bolts on any TL rated safes. Fort Knox makes a good product... Hope it works out for you.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:11:41 PM EDT
[#14]
The Knox is WAY over priced.

You can get a new TL for that coin.

ETA not 72 x 41 TL but a good sized one.

Just an example of market pricing

Going into garage with no steps, might be OK, may need to buy local if you have delivery issues.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm sold on the ft knox if he accepts, but I've still wondered about the mosler TL-15. It's a 6028 (60 in x 28 in) and he's wanting only 1300$ for it. He claims 1 inch sold steel walls and 1.5 inch solid steel door. No fire proofing though. I might even buy both. Any ideas?

Apparently mosler but some of the most secure and large structures in the world. Once housing the constitution! Would make for an interesting story safe.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm sold on the ft knox if he accepts, but I've still wondered about the mosler TL-15. It's a 6028 (60 in x 28 in) and he's wanting only 1300$ for it. He claims 1 inch sold steel walls and 1.5 inch solid steel door. No fire proofing though. I might even buy both. Any ideas?

Apparently mosler but some of the most secure and large structures in the world. Once housing the constitution! Would make for an interesting story safe.
View Quote
You can never have too much safe storage, unless you think you might move soon.

You can also build a fire rated sheetrock cabinet around the Mosler.
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Get both.
Link Posted: 4/14/2018 8:00:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you have the $$ and the need for both, why not? If you don't have the need, don't buy it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:18:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Op, did you get it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:57:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:48:52 AM EDT
[#21]
In my laundry room: http://imgur.com/a/1HIkFa0

Got it and moved for 3000$.
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Nice safe
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 8:23:18 PM EDT
[#23]
bitchen, glad it worked out for you OP, now its time to buy some guns.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top