Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2020 3:21:48 PM EDT
All,

I currently live in Nashville, TN and am about to move to Charleston, SC.

While stationed in VA, there was a question when purchasing a firearm that asked if you were ever charged with a crime as a juvenile that would be a felony if you were an adult. I was a Lieutenant in the army and was arrested for trying to buy an AR lower (answering no to that question). It was later dropped but I have an "aggravated assault" charge from high school when I was 17 and had to do a yr of probation.

That's my only crime, there is nothing else on my record...I'm a former Army officer with an active secret clearance (normal dude).

Im about to buy my first suppressor in 6 months and will have just moved to South Carolina. Does anyone know if this could affect my class 3 purchase?

Does anyone know who to call? I have called the SC ATF (left VM), silencer shop and local SC gun shops. Everyone pauses and says "you should be fine". I just wanted a clear answer, "should" worries me that no one knows. Isnt what is and is not allowed black and white, somewhere haha.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:27:32 PM EDT
[#1]
The only thing you will fill out in SC is the 4473 when you pick up the can, so if you can pass that you will be fine. I don't recall the questions on the RP questionnaire if you're using a trust, but I'm sure you're fine.

I recommend using Allied Arms in Ladson for your dealer if purchasing through SilencerShop. When you go in there to use the kiosk, tell Bay and Randy I said to go fuck themselves.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you pass a NICS check to purchase a regular firearm?  If so, you can purchase a suppressor.
Link Posted: 11/11/2020 4:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
What do you mean you were arrested for trying to buy a lower?

Like didn't pass the NICS background check?
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 2:08:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks dude
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Yea, I fill them out all the time here in TN. Never an issue.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What do you mean you were arrested for trying to buy a lower?

Like didn't pass the NICS background check?
View Quote

I never got a straight answer from VA court, just that I was charged for lying on my background check. My lawyer told me that VA has a different NCIS background that includes a portion that asks you about your juvenile record.

Graduate college / commission ROTC 2nd Lieutenant in 2010.

Report to BOLC in 2011: Ft. Lee, VA.

Attempt to buy a lower receiver at a gun show in Virginia Beach: August 2011.

Dealer says NCIS is not going through, hang around. 2 hrs. goes by, no luck. He says stop back Sunday (next day) I say I cant, don't feel like driving this far again. Thanks for your time.

I move to Nashville, TN after my LT's course, in November 2011.

Apply for my carry permit in TN around 2013. Get finger printed and all.

TN State Police arrive at my door with a picture of me, an old picture. Tell me that I'm a fugitive of justice from VA, they need to take me in.

TN jail ends up holding me for 10 days, VA will not allow me to drive myself back to VA beach court to clear this up.

I refuse to be extradited by VA, I hire a VA lawyer and TN lawyer. With lawyers help, TN court says because I'm an officer in the TN Guard, they will let me out and trust that I go straight to VA.

I drive to VA, they re-arrest me and let me out on a bond with a future court date.

My VA lawyer calls 2 weeks after and says the judge dropped the case .Lawyer says I was charged with lying or being dishonest on the background check. I ask if I can sue them for the 10k in lawyer fees, he said they can bring the charges back and you better not risk it.

That's all I know man. I'm scared to death of applying for stuff. I got my concealed handgun permit in the mail like 1 week after they let me out of jail haha. I renewed it with no issue, I've bought guns here in TN with no issue.
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#7]
It seems to me that you already have your answer. A suppressor is considered a NFA regulated device (firearm). If you can buy a shotgun at the local gun store, then you can buy any NFA regulated device. You have already done a FBI background check for your security clearance, so I don't see how there would be a problem.

This is not meant for you but your tail is a very expensive lesson about background checks. With any Government background check, disclose everything.  The whole point of a background check is to see if you are trustworthy. So disclosing everything is so very important. It sounds to me that you have your situation squared away.

With the NFA FBI background check there is no disclosure required. I can't speak to your specific state's requirements. Normally a 4473 is filled out when picking up a NFA item from the transferer, but is not called in, at least in my state. The 4473 is not about another background check. The transferee is showing identification as to being the transferee of the NFA item. A 4473 has all the documentation as to being the the transferee. It also provides the dealer with a receipt of the date the transferee received the transfer. Just as with Title I firearm transfers, private individuals don't need the same level of documentation as a Federally licensed dealer.

It seems to me that your situation is resolved. From my own personal experience, I hope if you are purchasing a rifle caliber can, I would suggest a 7.62 mm or greater. A 5.56 mm can would be a db or two quieter, but there is no practical subsonic Ammunition that will cycle the action. A 7.62 mm can would also be used with 300 BLK OUT and 7.62x39. Good luck with the purchase of your can.

Scott
07/01
Link Posted: 11/13/2020 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
It seems to me that you already have your answer.

View Quote

Thanks Scott, good info. Yea I think I'm ok, although nothing ever changed. My reason for posting was I thought every state has a different background check questions, since VA asked about my juvenile and TN does not. I've never had trouble here in TN but VA freaked out on me (my record has not changed since 2000). I was assuming every state has different questions and maybe SC has the same forum as VA. It sounds like maybe my lawyer assumed wrong and all states have the same background check form (that the questions do not vary). I'm still a little confused what I lied about, bc I fill out my TN background check the same as I filled out my VA check that got me in trouble? Ill keep trying to dig, I want to understand what got me in trouble so I don't repeat it! Heck maybe I should get my suppressor here in TN before I move, they like me here haha.

I was thinking about either a 5.56 RC2 for my URGI's or a 30 cal. Surefire? I could use the 30 cal. on my LMT MWS and still use it on the 5.56. Apparently the 30 cal. can would be quieter at the shooters ear on the 5.56 which is cool! That also allows me to use a .300 BLK and experiment with subs. I think 30 cal. sounds like the most versatile! I hear 5.56 round though 30 cal. can is quieter at the ear but louder down range due to less back pressure (bigger .30 hole) less gas coming through the ejection port back at you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 2:16:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Each state has their own requirements. Some just refer to the Federal statute. While others denies possession by private individuals. I am in Southern New Hampshire. Massachusetts doesn't allow cans to be owned by private individuals. All NFA regulated firearms can only be possessed by individuals with a special State issued NFA firearms license. Even LEOs must have this license if they would be issued any NFA regulated firearms. 90+% of the license holders are LEOs. MA also has an Assault Weapon Ban based on the National Assault Weapons Ban legislation that expired on September 14, 2004. So to own a semiautomatic magazine fed rifle with more than one of these features flash hider, bayonet lug, conspicuous pistol grip, collapsible stock, or grenade launcher that rifle receiver must have been made into a rifle with two or more of those features before September 14, 1994. Now if you have the MA NFA license the possessor may buy a brand new rifle with any of those features as long as the rifle enters the state as a SBR. Of course a MA resident can only get the NFA license with the approval of the Chief of Police of the town that resident lives in.

If you are looking for an AR-15 based rifle caliber can, there are 7.62 mm cans that are designed for 7.62x39 and 300 BLK OUT or other medium caliber rifle rounds. Other 7.62 mm cans are designed for 7.62X51 in mind. The  .308 cans tend to be longer and heavier for the  .308 round. 99%of my AR-15/M16 trigger time tends to be off hand. The longer the barrel and the heavier the can is can make off hand shots more challenging. So size and weight is a significant factor for me. Good luck with your can purchase.

Scott
Link Posted: 11/16/2020 5:18:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Each state has their own requirements.
Scott
View Quote

Thanks Scott, very interesting. Id like to know more about SC's requirements now.

New Hampshire is a nice state, I grew up in South Jersey and went to college in Philly. We would take road trips to New England quite often, always a good time! While living in NJ I wasn't really into shooting since I had been in the Army 3 yrs enlisted (OIF1) before college/rotc. After being an enlisted grunt and shooting for "work", shooting 5.56 didn't seem like fun haha. The army sure does know how to take the fun out of it! Now that I love this hobby NJ would have prevented me from owning everything I like, its a shame how the N..E. is man.

Apparently the Surefire 300 SPS can shoot 7.62 rounds from both the AR-15 and AR-10 platform. I didn't think of it until you mentioned but the SF homepage says 300BLK (7.62x35), 300 WM (that's a beast!), 308 (7.62x51) and they even mention 5.56. The Socom 300 SPS seems like a winner to me. It does 5.56, .308 and 300 BLK (all my rifles)

Link Posted: 11/16/2020 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Surefire is more expensive, louder and heavier than a lot of the newer cans on the market.

I would look at the Dead Air Sandman-S, Rugged Razor, Energetic Armament Vox-S, Dead Air Nomad-30 or even the tried and true SilencerCo Omega.
Link Posted: 11/17/2020 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Surefire is more expensive, louder and heavier than a lot of the newer cans on the market.

I would look at the Dead Air Sandman-S, Rugged Razor, Energetic Armament Vox-S, Dead Air Nomad-30 or even the tried and true SilencerCo Omega.
View Quote

Thanks bud. I'm kind of a military clone rifle dork so Surefire has been high on my list as my first love. Not sure if the 300 SPS is in use, been eyeing the RC2 just bc its been deployed. Logically I know having an NSN isn't proof its superior, I just have a thing for that stuff.

I'll definitely read up on the makes / models you mentioned. I would like to suppress a .22 rifle to for 8 year old...he plays too many games and thinks all guns should be select fire and suppressed haha.

Then Id like my wife's nightstand gun to be suppressed. She is not into shooting so if I can make the recoil light and db low she will be a fan.

I appreciate it guys! I'm not going to buy any new firearms in 2021, only suppressors.  Stocking up on NFA items, magazines and ammo before it becomes rare. NFA first!
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 5:15:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While stationed in VA, there was a question when purchasing a firearm that asked if you were ever charged with a crime as a juvenile that would be a felony if you were an adult. I was a Lieutenant in the army and was arrested for trying to buy an AR lower (answering no to that question). It was later dropped but I have an "aggravated assault" charge from high school when I was 17 and had to do a yr of probation.

That's my only crime, there is nothing else on my record...I'm a former Army officer with an active secret clearance (normal dude).

View Quote

There is your hangup.

Virginia requires that if you have a Juvenile Record you have to wait until you are 28 to be eligible to buy a firearm.

So technically you did lie on the form because you answered no to the question when you actually were charged and did a year of probation as a juvenile when you were 17 years old and you were not yet 28.

Here is the website with all of the prohibited reasons listed.
Virginia Disqualifying Conditions
Link Posted: 11/18/2020 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

There is your hang-up.

Virginia Disqualifying Conditions
View Quote

Thanks so much man! I couldn't ever figure that out, drove me crazy. Great to know.

You know what is funny. I was 28 when that happened and I was buying it for my birthday, I turned 29 two days after the gun show. I went back to college later @ 24 b/c did Active duty enlisted first.

So I wonder if that wouldn't have happened if I waited 1 week? Ha!
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 8:34:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like your question has been answered, but if you're looking for a dealer local to you, I'm in Georgetown (about an hour north) and have my 07/02 and a silencershop account as a listed dealer. I also have a fiber laser so I can hook you up with any engraving on form 1 guns/suppressors you may build.
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Looks like your question has been answered, but if you're looking for a dealer local to you, I'm in Georgetown (about an hour north) and have my 07/02 and a silencershop account as a listed dealer. I also have a fiber laser so I can hook you up with any engraving on form 1 guns/suppressors you may build.
View Quote
This is relevant to my interests, I need to engrave a Colt lower and eventually an 870. Where in Georgetown are you?
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 10:43:00 PM EDT
[#17]
I’m in maryville. I’ll send you a pm.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:11:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks man! Just saw this, I will definitely get in touch with you asap. We just moved here and I am about to get a nice chunk of $$$ from selling my TN house.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:17:55 PM EDT
[#19]
What are you going to do in Charleston?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:19:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks man! Just saw this, I will definitely get in touch with you asap. We just moved here and I am about to get a nice chunk of $$$ from selling my TN house.
View Quote
Yeah, he seems like a good dude. I'm eventually going to need some engraving if I Form 1 a couple things so I'll be traveling up to him no doubt.
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:19:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm guessing active duty based on his first post?
Link Posted: 1/26/2021 9:48:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Charged or convicted? Calling a conviction a charge is something poor people do.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:10:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Charged or convicted? Calling a conviction a charge is something poor people do.
View Quote

Sounds like your mad at poor people bro haha

J/K, the V.A. turds thought I was up to no good so they made me go to court to see a judge (I assumed that meant charged). Then they found out that I didn't do anything wrong (so it was dropped,  I was not convicted).
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:12:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm just working from home man, I do Cyber Security for the Govt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top