User Panel

Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 8:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Does the 07/02 SOT trump state law?

MN is c&r mg only and that is what has kept me out if the market.
View Quote
I prefer modern MGs but if I was limited to C&R I would pick up a Riesing. Much cheaper than the Thompson if you're on a budget.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 7:34:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I can't think of any MG that wouldn't be great to own and shoot.

I used to have a MAC10, that thing was a pisser.  Very accurate with some practice.

All of the low end MGs are good guns.

except I'm not a sten fan, they look like something made by some high school kids in a garage.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 9:43:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
except I'm not a sten fan, they look like something made by some high school kids in a garage.
View Quote
Well....

Gotta love the British, the only thing uglier that their guns are their teeth.
Link Posted: 1/26/2018 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Seeing as how the big money gun collectors are taking over the market, I would say the opposite.

This can be seen already by the huge price inflation of truly rare guns like the FG-42.  $300,000+ prices are a reflection of big money collectors deciding that FA is the hottest market.

The huge run up in Thompson prices is a new thing, it's recent.  Same with BARs.

You see what BREN guns are going for?  $50k.  That's collector money.  What shooter type guy wants a BREN gun for $50k?

You think that shooters who want to play barbie doll with M11/9 components are going to run the gun prices up to WWII collector prices?

WWII was the biggest event in human history, they'll never stop making movies about it and collectors will never get bored with it.

All those collectable guns show up in movies over and over again.  What did captain miller carry in SPR?  An M1A1 Thompson.

Regardless, if you want to buy in, buy NOW.  I was telling people this back when you could get a FNC sear for $2700 and a NIB M11/9 was $3400.

This year's rip-off dealer price is next year's hot bargain price.  But everyone is always sitting back and waiting.  Waiting for the price to go up another 10% I guess.
View Quote
Spot on, as always Cyborg.
Link Posted: 1/28/2018 3:51:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 1:57:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I think the prices have a long climb left, lots and lots of room to go up.

Whatever year it is, the prices always seem insane.  And then next year, they're higher.  Doesn't $10k for a M16A1 seem real sane now that they're creeping towards $30k?  But when they were $10k, it seemed insane.

Collectors have giant globs of money, they just don't care what stuff costs.  It's a different financial class of people.

A friend of mine has a 1950s guitar that he says is worth like $40,000.  Some guitars are worth $250k and up.  Who is buying them?  Some kids with a garage band? No, it's rich guys.

If a 1959 Stratocaster sells for $75k, then why wouldn't a BREN gun eventually sell for $75k?  How many Brens are in the registry?  50 maybe?

You know how model trains aren't worth anything now that the model railroaders are dying off?  Well, that will never happen to MGs.

Guns are HUGE collector items, because of movies.  They never stop making movies about the gangster era or WWII.

They make a movie like "Fury" about tanks, the movie romanticizes war and glamorizes the firearms.   http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Fury_(2014)

It's like a 50 million dollar advertisement for gun collecting, and MGs are now at the pinnacle of gun collecting.

Look at the price of grease guns, a C&R greaser is like $20k, it's a cheap tube gun.

Here's another thing to remember:  collectors horde their guns.  when hardcore collectors take over, you're going to see a drought of guns for sale.  Some types of guns are already getting very hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 2:06:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Also...

If you buy an MG and change your mind, there's no downside.

They're easy to sell and you'll get your money back, and maybe a profit unless you paid a stupid high price.

They're easy to sell.  Put your gun on gunbroker or julias, receive your check, a few months later send the gun the buyer (in-state) or transfer dealer (out of state).  No big deal.

Bing bang boom done.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 7:57:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I just received 3 approvals, another should be anyday.
Some took 16+ months from initial purchase.
Buying isnt very fun, even now all i feel is relief its over.
Fun starts when i get to the range tommarow.

The whole things does suck, once you get to the end you have a great investment that the longer you enjoy it the more you make assuming you sell them before you die.
Link Posted: 1/30/2018 10:29:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does the 07/02 SOT trump state law?

MN is c&r mg only and that is what has kept me out if the market.
View Quote
Brother all the best stuff is c&r...when I first got into mgs back in 01 I wanted the newest. Now if it doesn’t have a water jacket and belt it really doesn’t interest me. The c&r belt feds are an incredible buy.

The most modern c&r is my Colt 01,  or sure if I’ve ever shot it... now in fairness there probably is a half dozen 16s in the vault.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:26:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Can someone show me how to embed a pic? It's relevant bc I'd like to make a MG post. And MGs are fun.

For example, this link...how do I format it to make it appear in the thread as a pic?

https://imgur.com/gallery/ac20R
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#11]
First, you've got to obtain the actual image address, by right-clicking the big version and "Copy image location" or "Copy image address" (depending on your browser).
For your image, it's https://i.imgur.com/jMHhUlQ.jpg

Then click the Image button when writing your post, and paste that address in the dialog box, for the URL. Click Submit.

Boom.
Edit: You're welcome. Good job!
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:46:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Cool. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:06:01 AM EDT
[#13]
When I had my MG42.... I wanted to experiment and figure out if I can make someone get bored with it when I offered rentals on it.

So I advertised that they can spend 4 hrs with the MG42, will teach them everything about it....Help with everything and setup and also the ammo.

I put it up for about $600 give or take including 400 rds of ammo for it which was surplus Chilean.

one gentleman and his son took the offer.

They did everything with it including breaking it down and cleaning which they happily did.... Changed barrels... We did scenes with their video camera...tons and tons...........oh what the hell.. a SHIT LOAD OF pictures with lots of posing.....
Even shot it off my truck ....even drove on the range about 20 yards and they were firing it on the makeshift pinticle mount I made with my roll bar.

Anyways......at the end of it.....they got their jollies and got it out of their system.

Never heard from them again....but I do see them at the gun show and they said it was interesting and fun.....but they got bored after 4 hrs.....and they had enough of it.

I offered it again..and the son said ..thanks but no thanks.

Point of my story is that.....I think it should bring joy and happiness again and again but for some....it runs out.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:25:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
When I had my MG42.... I wanted to experiment and figure out if I can make someone get bored with it when I offered rentals on it.

So I advertised that they can spend 4 hrs with the MG42, will teach them everything about it....Help with everything and setup and also the ammo.

I put it up for about $600 give or take including 400 rds of ammo for it which was surplus Chilean.

They did everything with it including breaking it down and cleaning which they happily did.... Changed barrels... We did scenes with their video camera...tons and tons...........oh what the hell.. a SHIT LOAD OF pictures with lots of posing.....
Even shot it off my truck ....even drove on the range about 20 yards and they were firing it on the makeshift pinticle mount I made with my roll bar.

Anyways......at the end of it.....they got their jollies and got it out of their system.

Never heard from them again....but I do see them at the gun show and they said it was interesting and fun.....but they got bored after 4 hrs.....and they had enough of it.

Point of my story is that.....I think it should bring joy and happiness again and again but for some....it runs out.
View Quote
MG ownership just isn’t something every shooter/collector is interested in. Thankfully, as it leaves more for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 4:45:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
There was one thing they were lacking.....
The pride of ownership.

If it was their mg42 they would have probably not grown tired of it.  If they did, well then mg ownership is not for them.

IMO there is so much more to mg ownership than just shooting.  
And honestly the historical guns have even more of that something than the modern stuff(my opinion).
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:17:48 AM EDT
[#16]
collector coins, stamps, antiques and firearms...

from a prior post, was the question 3 of 4 things people collect that are worth less money year over year...

3 to 4 more terms of a Democratic President and Congress, you will be able to add guns as the 4th thing.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:34:02 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

from a prior post, was the question 3 of 4 things people collect that are worth less money year over year...

3 to 4 more terms of a Democratic President and Congress, you will be able to add guns as the 4th thing.
View Quote
Every collectable item has unique circumstances. Just because one collectable item has lost value doesn't mean all will.

Stamp Collecting: This hobby has completely died. No surprise since the last generation to actually use stamps is now dieing off. Stamps were an integral part of daily life for this generation, its how they communicated with family, its how young couples kept in touch during the great wars and they all have fond memories of receiving a letter in the mail and all the excitement that went with it. Baby boomers and Millennials have no desire to collect stamps, they grew up with telephones, my age group grew up with AIM, Myspace and Facebook.

Antiques: This is such a large category. Antique firearms go up in value, as do antique cars. Antique furniture typically goes down in value. Why? Well for starters the furniture most people buy is never good to begin with, then someone used it on a daily basis for 50+ years without ever maintaining it, now it smells like a combination of old people and cat piss. The bottom line is just because something is old doesn't automatically make it a valuable or an "antique".

Coins: This hobby is hit or miss. Determining if a coin will go up or down in value is a combination of rarity, material, design, grade and probably a dozen more things. Common coins made of cheap metals like pennies and nickels have no following, to be honest they never really did.  But pre-1965 dimes, quarters, half dollars and dollars are very popular among collectors, fetching many times their melt value even for common dates. And the rare dates can sell for thousands of dollars and only seem to be going up in value, even with the price of precious metals significantly lower than recent highs. Most people just don't understand investing in coins and buy coins off TV commercials and wonder why the REPLICA coin they bought from china which is literally stamp with the word COPY or REPLICA is not worth $100 when they go to sell it, hmmm maybe because not a real coin and its made with pot metal and spray painted gold....durrr

Which brings us to firearms. I have to go with cyborg543 on this one. The older MGs have a massive following and always will, sure they aren't tactical and you cant mount a red dot to them but there is something about owning a firearm that was used during the greatest/most influential time in modern history, that affected literally the entire world. More modern MGs don't have the history behind them but show up in the latest action movies, on news footage and much more. The fact that you can own SOME of the same firearms that modern combat units take with them into battle is amazing.  M16, HK, AK, Uzi, FAL, M14, M240, M60 are the most popular and it is reflected in their price. Most of which are modular and can be upgraded with the latest parts and accessories so they will be able to stay in the "modern" category for decades to come.

The total percentage of gun owners in America has not change, at approx. 40% of households. While the percentage may not have changed over the last 50+ years The pop. of the US has nearly double in the last half century. which means the total number of gun owners has grown. We see the same in NRA membership. Yet MGs are a fixed supply at 186k in 1986 and 175k in 2016.

Basic economics tells you what happens when demand increase and supply decreases.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Which brings us to firearms. I have to go with cyborg543 on this one. The older MGs have a massive following and always will, sure they aren't tactical and you cant mount a red dot to them but there is something about owning a firearm that was used during the greatest/most influential time in modern history, that affected literally the entire world. More modern MGs don't have the history behind them but show up in the latest action movies, on news footage and much more. The fact that you can own SOME of the same firearms that modern combat units take with them into battle is amazing.  M16, HK, AK, Uzi, FAL, M14, M240, M60 are the most popular and it is reflected in their price. Most of which are modular and can be upgraded with the latest parts and accessories so they will be able to stay in the "modern" category for decades to come.

View Quote
What modern army still uses the FAL and/or UZI?  Both meh firearms.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 10:31:33 PM EDT
[#20]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzi#Users

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_FAL#Users

More than I expected actually. You're not going to see seal team six rocking them anytime soon but they are in use.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 11:13:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What modern army still uses the FAL and/or UZI?  Both meh firearms.
View Quote
What? FAL and UZI are meh? Both are iconic. The Uzi is a phenomenal mid-range SMG. The Uzi has tons of spare parts, excellent low cost mags, suppresses better than most other SMGs, easy to perform armorer level support.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top